Which is worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is worse?

Hi everyone! I'd be grateful for some advice.

Which is worse:

Taking your shahada but continuing living life as you were (pretty much non-islamically) until you figure things out, and perhaps wavering in your faith during that time

OR

waiting until you've figured things out and 100% decided that Islam is what you believe without a single doubt, and only then taking you shahada? (this includes the risk that you'll never even get there)

Thanks in advance :)

Re: Which is worse?

Peace and greeting to those who seek guidance to their Lord, The Creator

The biggest Sins (kufr) are not taking Shahadha ie NOT recognizing your Creator is one and Prophet Muhammad is his last messenger and the requisites of eemaan .Or (shirk) associating partners to Allah to anyone.

Every other sin is after it.
    My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by clovesandcardamom View Post
      Hi everyone! I'd be grateful for some advice.

Which is worse:

Taking your shahada but continuing living life as you were (pretty much non-islamically) until you figure things out, and perhaps wavering in your faith during that time

OR

waiting until you've figured things out and 100% decided that Islam is what you believe without a single doubt, and only then taking you shahada? (this includes the risk that you'll never even get there)

Thanks in advance :)
      This girl had similar situation and same question ...

Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him said: ("
      )

Comment

Originally posted by Tayoofa View Post
        This girl had similar situation and same question ...

Thank you Tayoofa (and talibilm09 also)

I'm afraid that my doubts and questions are a little bigger than that :/. The thing is, I was born and raised an atheist. Slowly slowly, over the past 10 years or more, I've started to believe that there is a God.

However - and this is my big problem - I still have moments when I think to myself "Stop being crazy! Religion doesn't make any sense and there can't be such a thing as God. It's all fairy tales." But then the thoughts of God creep back into my head. And the fact that He keeps coming back makes me think that I'm either crazy or God is really trying to open my heart and has such amazing patience to keep trying with me.

So yeah, that's why I'm afraid to actually declare my faith with any finality, because I just can't trust myself. One day I believe, the next day I don't, then the next day I believe again. I don't know if it will ever stop.

Comment

I'm afraid that my doubts and questions are a little bigger than that :/. The thing is, I was born and raised an atheist. Slowly slowly, over the past 10 years or more, I've started to believe that there is a God.

However - and this is my big problem - I still have moments when I think to myself "Stop being crazy! Religion doesn't make any sense and there can't be such a thing as God. It's all fairy tales." But then the thoughts of God creep back into my head. And the fact that He keeps coming back makes me think that I'm either crazy or God is really trying to open my heart and has such amazing patience to keep trying with me.

So yeah, that's why I'm afraid to actually declare my faith with any finality, because I just can't trust myself. One day I believe, the next day I don't, then the next day I believe again. I don't know if it will ever stop.
          Sister I understand your fear but at least say shahadah between you and yourself and no need to declare your faith until you are sure about it ...

Also if you have been atheist I advise you first focus on the lectures which talk about the existence of God and the purpose of life ..

I will recommend you this lecture by Dr Jeffrey Lang who was an atheist before becoming a Muslim

And here are some links

ABOUT GOD

https://www.islamreligion.com/category/51/about-god/

THE PURPOSE OF LIFE

https://www.islamreligion.com/catego...rpose-of-life/

Don't worry sister if you have questions we will help you ...
          )

Comment

)

Comment

Is the sin of doubting God's existence bigger or worse if it happens after saying the shahada (even if I just say it quietly to myself)? That's what I'm ultimately worried about. Because if I've understood correctly, when you become a Muslim, all your previous sins are washed away. But if denying God is the biggest, most unforgivable sin, I don't want to do it anymore after becoming a Muslim. Then I would be damned forever, right? With no possibility of ever being forgiven.

So I'm trying to figure out whether I should wait until those doubts don't pop into my head anymore. Because it's really quite impossible to control.

Oh and thank all of you for your encouraging answers and your help!

Comment

Even as a Muslim these thoughts go through our head, they are called the devil's whispers. The shaitaan knows you want to become a Muslim and will do anything to put doubts in your head...Take the shahada...:)

We find in ourselves thoughts that are too terrible to speak of.I think thoughts to myself,
                Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Thank you! This really helped a lot :). I feel so much less confused now.

Comment

Thank you! This really helped a lot :). I feel so much less confused now.

1)A man is experiencing waswas (insinuating whispers) from the Shaytan (devil) having to do with Allah, and he is very afraid of that.

https://islamqa.info/en/12315

2) I tell non-Muslims that Allah created everything in this universe. They ask me who created Allah ? How can Allaah have been there since the beginning?
                    How can I answer them ?

https://islamqa.info/en/6660

*recite Qul Huwa Allaahu ahad.= Surat Al Ikhlaas "chapter 112 from Quran

3)If a Muslim has some doubts about Islam and the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), and he seeks to put his mind at rest regarding these doubts that are troubling him, so he asks about the soundness of reports that speak of a miracle that occurred at the hands of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), does this put him beyond the pale of Islam? Will Allah forgive such sins?

https://islamqa.info/en/129219
                    )

Comment

1) Hi, believing in your Creator is the most important thing. We should be grateful slaves:

A) And He gave you from all you asked of Him. And if you should count the favor of Allah , you could not enumerate them. Indeed, mankind is [generally] most unjust and ungrateful. (Surah 14:34).

2) I think this video answers all of your questions, please watch it:

A) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjkE2lLtxJU

B) The non-Muslim in that video had doubts just like you. In Islam, we believe in an enemy called satan.

3) When it comes to Islam and atheism, you should look at the bigger picture and focus on the basic foundations.

A) Islam testifies that there is no God at all except Allah while Atheism testifies that there is no God at all.

B) We cannot even create a fly from nothing even though we are alive, how can we accept the whole universe came from nothing?

C) O people, an example is presented, so listen to it. Indeed, those you invoke besides Allah will never create [as much as] a fly, even if they gathered together for that purpose. And if the fly should steal away from them a [tiny] thing, they could not recover it from him. Weak are the pursuer and pursued. (Surah 22:73).

D) Or were they created by nothing, or were they the creators [of themselves]? Or did they create the heavens and the earth? Rather, they are not certain.(Surah 52:35-36).

E) "They follow not except assumption and what [their] souls desire, and there has already come to them from their Lord guidance." (Surah 53:23)

4) All other questions are secondary and insignificant to this. You need to decide if you believe in a Creator first.

5) Just like [MENTION=143459]Tayoofa[/MENTION], I also recommend this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d16CpWp-ok

A) Please also see this lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-0gS2CWY0

6) If you need help with Arabic or links to the Quran, please see this twitter account:

A) https://twitter.com/oneliferesults

7) By the way, later on that non-Muslim became a Muslim. Here is the video of his shahada:

A) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6macDI2WCU

B) Inshallah(God willing), you will also become a Muslim. May Allah guide both of us.
                      Last edited by OneLifeResults; 26-11-17, 12:01 AM.

Comment

If you have any questions about Islam, or need any video/book recommendations, you can ask us here.

Comment

I don't really know the answer to your question. If you still want to know, maybe the link below can help. https://islamqa.info/en/12295
                          He has created man from a sperm-drop; and behold this same (man) becomes an open disputer! (16:4)

Comment

Tayoofa why are you answering questions that were never asked? lol
                            Say what somebody can do instead of the haram if you want to help.

Comment

Is the sin of doubting God's existence bigger or worse if it happens after saying the shahada (even if I just say it quietly to myself)? That's what I'm ultimately worried about. Because if I've understood correctly, when you become a Muslim, all your previous sins are washed away. But if denying God is the biggest, most unforgivable sin, I don't want to do it anymore after becoming a Muslim. Then I would be damned forever, right? With no possibility of ever being forgiven.

So I'm trying to figure out whether I should wait until those doubts don't pop into my head anymore. Because it's really quite impossible to control.

Oh and thank all of you for your encouraging answers and your help!
                              Allah will guide your heart if you sincerely accept Islam. That is just what I think.

I mean there are people who are non-Muslim and convert everyday.

Obviously there are some who are not 100% certain because they haven't fully studied the religion.

But Allah keeps them steadfast and guides their paths, and now you have coverts who have become amazing speakers and knowledgeable scholars
                              Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

and charity is proof (of one's faith)

and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
                              In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
                              USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
                              (deprecated numbering scheme)

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X