Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I explain to a non-muslim that music is haram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I explain to a non-muslim that music is haram?

Originally posted by european muslim View Post
    Thuis Comment made me laugh out loud
    dutch autocorrect confued me lol
    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by Rifqah View Post
      I don't know, but I'd be interested to know. I know it's haram and I obey the ruling but I don't really know why. Just for clarity, I'm not referring to vulgar lyrics and music videos but maybe even orchestral music, classical and jazz.
      Music is very powerful. Teenagers could even base their entire identity on it. That is why the wrong kind of music can be so dangerous. Popular musicians can easily lead entire populations astray with a questionable lifestyle that teenagers may seek to imitate. Concerts are often pagan fests. The concert goers are clearly looking for something higher, and even metaphysical, but the artist just leads them straight into the hands of Satan. It has even degenerated into an industry geared at promoting depravity.

Comment

Dont explain to a nonMuslim this... How is he/she supposed to understand you without tawheed... Its generally not a good idea to discuss bits and pieces of Islam with non-Muslims without getting them to theology. If there is need to Dawah then start with Tawheed. Thats our strong point.. They may or may not be convinced by stuff like music, hijab and all such topics.

Comment

I have difficulty explaining to muslims about this even though I live in one of the most religious countries in the world. I can imagine the difficulty you are facing.

You can try giving the example of Cain's descendants luring Abel's descendants to mixing with them after Cain killed his Brother Abel. Abel's descendants were pure and through the mixing they became accustomed to adultery/fornication and other haram deeds.

Regards

Originally posted by skygrill View Post
          As the title says, thank you.

May Allah bless us all
          Ask yourself why you were created. Do not let society distract you from seeking the truth.
          Sahih International, 63:3 (Surah Al-Munafiqun)
          That is because they believed, and then they disbelieved; so their hearts were sealed over, and they do not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by skygrill View Post
            As the title says, thank you.

May Allah bless us all
            Not all the music and songs that have been haram, If the singers and musical instruments uses the Quran verses, the Islamic Doctrine for mislead, contempt and ridicule, Allah, Muslims, Prophet Muhammad and so on. Then it's totally Haram.

Luqman [31:6], "And of the people is he who buys the amusement of speech to mislead [others] from the way of Allah without knowledge and who takes it in ridicule. Those will have a humiliating punishment."

In the hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Verily I did not prohibit weeping [per se], but rather I forbade two voices [sowtayn] which are imbecilic [ahmaq] and sinfully shameless [faajir]: one a voice [singing] to the accompaniment of musical amusement [lahw] and Satan's [wind] instruments; the other, a voice [wailing] due to some calamity, accompanied by striking of the face and tearing of garments.
            Last edited by Temasek; 04-07-17, 04:54 AM.

Comment

It is generally agreed upon by the Ulema (Islamic scholars) that most musical instruments are haram. This applies to wind instruments. Tabla seems to be an exception (drums). We must rely on those who are more educated than us to make some of the tougher decisions.

Originally posted by Temasek View Post
              Not all the music and songs that have been haram, If the singers and musical instruments uses the Quran verses, the Islamic Doctrine for mislead, contempt and ridicule, Allah, Muslims, Prophet Muhammad and so on. Then it's totally Haram.

Luqman [31:6], "And of the people is he who buys the amusement of speech to mislead [others] from the way of Allah without knowledge and who takes it in ridicule. Those will have a humiliating punishment."

In the hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Verily I did not prohibit weeping [per se], but rather I forbade two voices [sowtayn] which are imbecilic [ahmaq] and sinfully shameless [faajir]: one a voice [singing] to the accompaniment of musical amusement [lahw] and Satan's [wind] instruments; the other, a voice [wailing] due to some calamity, accompanied by striking of the face and tearing of garments.
              Ask yourself why you were created. Do not let society distract you from seeking the truth.
              Sahih International, 63:3 (Surah Al-Munafiqun)
              That is because they believed, and then they disbelieved; so their hearts were sealed over, and they do not understand.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X