Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK to make a child's toy shield with a crescent symbol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK to make a child's toy shield with a crescent symbol?

My two year old son loves to watch Disney's Sleeping Beauty, and in particular Prince Phillip. So for Halloween, I made him a Prince Phillip costume with a cardboard shield. Like in the movie, I made the shield with a Christian cross on it.

He has friends who are twin brothers and Muslim. Since they have at least as much energy as my son I'm thinking it would be fun to make shields for them too. They are Turkish, so I thought I would make them a pair of Ottoman-era round shields.

From some searching on the internet, I found many examples of sun devices on Ottoman shields circa 15th and 16th centuries. Since the boys are twins I thought perhaps I could make one shield with a sun and one with a moon. But, I only found one example of a shield that bears a crescent.

Which brings me to this forum: Is it appropriate to place a Muslim crescent on a shield, the same way we see crosses on Christian shields? Or would this be offensive?

Thank you!

Re: OK to make a child's toy shield with a crescent symbol?

That is a good idea and very considerate of you; may God bless you amin!

However, since little kids wont treat a play thing with a religious symbol on it with the respect it deserves [i.E, it will be considered desrespectful to throw or place on the ground something with a religious symbol on it in islam] then best not to put any on it and just make them shields with sun and star on it

also a shield will be the target of stabs and jabs with play swords, so it will not suit for a religious symbol on it

Comment

Re: OK to make a child's toy shield with a crescent symbol?

Originally posted by KhanKhan View Post
      That is a good idea and very considerate of you; may God bless you amin!

However, since little kids wont treat a play thing with a religious symbol on it with the respect it deserves [i.E, it will be considered desrespectful to throw or place on the ground something with a religious symbol on it in islam] then best not to put any on it and just make them shields with sun and star on it

also a shield will be the target of stabs and jabs with play swords, so it will not suit for a religious symbol on it
      :salams:

Brother with due respect i would like to know a reference from hadith that the crescent is a symbol of Muslims though I accept its widely used for muslim food shops or in some countries flags.

I do not think its wrong to make anything except images of living beings etc

But i accept your idea not to disrespect or mock signs of Allah or Prophet which is a Big Sin as seen in a verse of Noble Quran but they mean hell, paradise , DOJ, Kaaba, Zam zam well etc

:jkk:
      Last edited by talibilm09; 03-02-17, 03:39 AM.
      My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

Working...
      X