Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niqab when praying

:salams

Is it haraam to wear niqab while praying, alone or in front of non-Mahram men? What are the rulings across different madhabs?

:jkk:
    Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
    "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Re: Niqab when praying

Originally posted by starrynight11 View Post

Is it haraam to wear niqab while praying, alone or in front of non-Mahram men? What are the rulings across different madhabs?

Maybe this will help (it's a Shafi'i ruling, though):
    It is disliked [makruh] for a woman to pray wearing niqab [a face covering], except for when she is praying in the company of others who might look at her face. In this instance, it is impermissible for her to lift her niqab. Khatib Shirbini stated,

ويكره أن يصلي…والمرأة منتقبة إلا أن يكون في مكان وهناك أجانب لا يحترزون عن النظر إليها فلا يجوز لها رفع النقاب

“It is disliked when he prays…and the woman wearing niqab, except for when in a place where there are strange men who do not guard their gazes; then, it is not permissible for her to lift her niqab.” (Iqna’ 2/111)

The disliked nature of a woman wearing niqab in prayer (and in tawaf according to some) is related from various Tabi’in, like Hasan al-Basri, Tawus, and Jabir b. Zayd. (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah 2/347-48) Hafiz Busayri related that Aishah did make tawaf wearing niqab. (Ithaf al-Khayrat al-Maharah 3/201) Ibn Abd al-Barr related a consensus [ijma] that a woman does not need to pray with her face veiled. (Tamhid 6/365)

In light of the above, a woman does not need to pray with her face veiled, and it is disliked. If a woman fears that she will be peeped at by strange onlookers, then she should keep her face covered.
    http://islamqa.org/shafii/shafiifiqh/30086

Comment

in Hanafi madhab it is not makruh so you can wear niqab while praying

Comment

How can you pray in front of n front of non-Mahram men? I thought your prayer becomes invalid...
        Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Originally posted by AbdullahiG View Post
          in Hanafi madhab it is not makruh so you can wear niqab while praying
          Do you have a daleel for this?

Originally posted by shay5 View Post
          How can you pray in front of n front of non-Mahram men? I thought your prayer becomes invalid...
          No, I meant if praying behind men in congregation.
          Last edited by starrynight11; 24-12-15, 06:59 PM.
          Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
          "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

Niqab when praying

What about in hanafi fiqh? I pray with Niqab on when I need too?
            Last edited by iRepIslam; 24-12-15, 07:01 PM.
            The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
              The OP asked here, so watch out http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post6810305

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post

قال الحنفية: ويكره التلثم وهو تغطية الأنف والفم في الصلاة لأنه يشبه فعل المجوس حال عبادتهم النيران، وهو عند الحنفية مكروه تحريما

According to the Kawaiti Encyclopedia of Fiqh
                : The Hanafi school has said that to veil ones face, and this means covering the nose and mouth, during prayer is Makrooh because doing so entails resemblance to the Majoosi when they worship Al-Neeraan. And this is Makrooh Tahrimi in the sight of the Hanafis.

[Kawaiti Encyclopedia of Fiqh Page 135 Volume 41]
                Watch those eyes

Comment

Do you have a daleel for this?
                  No, I meant if praying behind men in congregation.
                  It is Makrooh, not only in the Hanafi Madhab, but also according to others based on this Hadith [Reference to Fatwaa in Arabic]
                  Watch those eyes

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X