Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Islam (I'm very disgusted)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Islam (I'm very disgusted)

Re: Question about Islam (I'm very disgusted)

Originally posted by gamer4ever View Post
    Hello,

Recently I came across this in Islam, and it literally blew my mind. I can't explain how disgusted I am by this, and anyone in the right sense of mind will agree with me. Basically, this is from the "Commentary of al-Qurtubi" on Surah 33:50. In this commentary of his, he outlined 16 privileges Muhammad alone was given, and one of the 16 privileges (the 10th one) says: If Muhammad looks at a woman (and desires her) then it is necessary for her husband to divorce her and for Muhammad to marry her.

Also, just to mention, this is authentic, because as any Muslim would and should know, al-Qurtubi is one of the most known and credible commentators on the Quran. So, this is not false information, it is true. In fact, I even tried to find a Muslim's view on this on the internet, and on Answering-Christianity, one of the writers did not say this is wrong (so indeed it is true). He simply shrugged it off by saying that there's nothing wrong with such special privileges and that Allah knows best.

So, above, I have made a point, and shown that is true. If anyone here can justify that, please do so. I don't think something like this can be justified. And, just for more information, below I have copy and pasted all of the 16 privileges (if anyone wants to know). So everything (but point number 10) below is not related to the question.

First: To be fair with the spoils.
    Second: To (forcefully) take a fifth of a fifth or just a fifth (of the spoils of war).
    Third: "Al Wisal" (Dimitrius- the fast or fasting. This usually refers to fasting or abstaining from food.)
    Fourth: To take more than four women.
    Fifth: To marry, "Yas-tan-kih" (or have intercourse), with a woman who verbally pronounces her dedication (to the prophet).
    Sixth: To marry, "Yas-tan-kih," without the presence (or permission) of a legal guardian.
    Seventh: To marry, "Yas-tan-kih," without a dowry.
    Eighth: To marry (and have intercourse) during a state of ritual consecration and purification.
    Ninth: The annulment of an oath he may make to his wives.
    Tenth: If Muhammad looks at a woman (and desires her) THEN IT IS NECESSARY FOR HER HUSBAND TO DIVORCE HER AND FOR MUHAMMAD TO MARRY HER. Ibn Al A’raby said, "This is what the servant of the two holy mosques has also said, as was clear to the scholars FROM THE STORY OF ZAID which also had this meaning."
    Eleventh: That the prophet released Safiyyah (from her captured status) and he considered her release as her dowry.
    Twelfth: To enter Mecca without being in a state of ritual purification.
    Thirteenth: To fight in Mecca.
    Fourteenth: That he is not inherited by anyone at all. This was mentioned in the oath of absolution for when a man approaches death due to illness, most of his possessions are taken away, so that he does not have more than a third left for him. But the possessions of the prophet remained for him, as is evidenced in the verse of inheritance and in Surat Mariam.
    Fifteenth: His marriage is still considered effective after his death.
    Sixteenth: If he divorces a woman she remains prohibited to everyone and may not be married, "Nikah," to someone else.
    There's a really in depth explanation here: http://www.islamicstudies.info/tafhe...verse=49&to=50
    It's the last verse explained on the page, so just scroll down. Verse is in bold, explanation is in plain text.

Comment

Hi,

I had a read through the explanation section of this verse (from the link you posted), but it didn't mention this privilege. It did talk about some other privileges (from the 16), however the one I am talking about was not addressed in there.

Comment

Hi,

I had a read through the explanation section of this verse (from the link you posted), but it didn't mention this privilege. It did talk about some other privileges (from the 16), however the one I am talking about was not addressed in there.
        Would you mind quoting the verse from the Quran? Because 33:50 doesn't seem to mention divorce. It says: O Prophet, We have made lawful for you your wives whose bridal dues you have paid, and the slave-girls you possess from among the prisoners of war, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and paternal aunts, and the daughters of your maternal uncles and maternal aunts who have migrated with you, and a believing woman who gives herself to the Prophet and whom he wants to take in marriage. (O Prophet), this privilege is yours alone to the exclusion of other believers. We know well what restrictions We have imposed upon them as regards their wives and those whom their right hands possess, (and have exempted you from those restrictions) that there may be no constraint upon you. Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Comment

Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
          Would you mind quoting the verse from the Quran? Because 33:50 doesn't seem to mention divorce. It says: O Prophet, We have made lawful for you your wives whose bridal dues you have paid, and the slave-girls you possess from among the prisoners of war, and the daughters of your paternal uncles and paternal aunts, and the daughters of your maternal uncles and maternal aunts who have migrated with you, and a believing woman who gives herself to the Prophet and whom he wants to take in marriage. (O Prophet), this privilege is yours alone to the exclusion of other believers. We know well what restrictions We have imposed upon them as regards their wives and those whom their right hands possess, (and have exempted you from those restrictions) that there may be no constraint upon you. Allah is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.
          Its in Tafsir of Imam Qurtubi RA.

Comment

Originally posted by Musulmaan View Post
            Its in Tafsir of Imam Qurtubi RA.
            Oh. No clue why I thought he meant the Quran. Thank you.
            [MENTION=122784]gamer4ever[/MENTION] have you seen this page?
            http://en.islamtoday.net/quesshow-14-943.htm it's about the situation your question that is about.

Comment

Thanks for the link, but my question was not addressed to the situation. I was just talking about the privilege itself. I'm just very disgusted how such a privilege can be even given to Muhammad in the first place.

Comment

Thanks for the link, but my question was not addressed to the situation. I was just talking about the privilege itself. I'm just very disgusted how such a privilege can be even given to Muhammad in the first place.
                Well that's simple. Allah (SWT) knew the character of Muhammad (PBUH).
                Allah (SWT) knew the privilege would not be abused in any way. He knew the Prophet would not go around saying 'I want her, her, and her'. In fact, the only time this privilege was even close to being used, the woman had already wanted to marry Muhammad (PBUH). And her husband was more than happy to let them marry. There's a reason only Muhammad (PBUH) was granted this: his high moral conduct. Had she not wanted to marry him, I highly doubt he would have forced her.
                He was given the privilege because he was morally sound enough to handle it responsibly.

Comment

I was never aware of this and the meaning of this verse. Could somebody please explain what was the point of these privileges? It makes me uncomfortable, as though prophethood was being used to gain special privileges so that Muhammad PBUH could have any woman he wanted?

I was always told that he led a simple lifestyle and was very unworldly but this interpretation contradicts everything I have been told.
                  Last edited by AnonymousAS; 28-11-15, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I highly doubt Allah would give those privileges to the Prophet Muhammad SAW, if it wasn't for his moral conduct.

Knowing Allah did, I am pretty sure there is a reason for that.

Allahu alam.
                    Last edited by Serinity; 28-11-15, 01:04 PM.
                    La ilaha illallahu, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa 'ala kulli sha'in Qadir
                    (there is no true god except Allah. He is One and He has no partner with Him; His is the sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is Omnipotent),'
                    Do not say about Allah but Truth.

Comment

Question about Islam (I'm very disgusted)

Shaitan is relentless and people are gullible.

I'm not advocating not questioning things rather this is just a relevant musing.

May Allah protect our emaan from the whispers of shaitan and give us deep understanding of this deen esp the phrase "we hear and obey".

Reminder...shaitan was the disobedient one and obedience with correct understanding is our way :insha:
                      Last edited by Nafs al Tawabah; 28-11-15, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousAS View Post
                        I was never aware of this and the meaning of this verse. Could somebody please explain what was the point of these privileges? It makes me uncomfortable, as though prophethood was being used to gain special privileges so that Muhammad PBUH could have any woman he wanted?

I was always told that he led a simple lifestyle and was very unworldly but this interpretation contradicts everything I have been told.
                        Now you are thinking from the viewpoint of him (:saw:) having made up the Religion to gain special privileges.
                        Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                          Now you are thinking from the viewpoint of him (:saw:) having made up the Religion to gain special privileges.
                          From the viewpoint of the possibility that this was the case, not definite. I have not finished doing my research and cleared away my doubts yet so I am thinking about all possibilities. I cannot think why these privileges would be needed and would like to see if there was any wisdom behind it because I share the same feelings as the OP right now.

Comment

The prophet PBUH married more than 4 wives, so what?
                            Solomon PBUH had 700 wives and 300 concubines. I have never seen any jew or christian making big deal about that.

Wives and Concubines happened, now deal with it people and get over it.
                            Dont judge prophets(Muhammad pbuh & Solomon pbuh) just because they had many wives and concubines. It doesnt make their message false.

Comment

Where did you get this from, and what is the context?
                              La ilaha illallahu, wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa Huwa 'ala kulli sha'in Qadir
                              (there is no true god except Allah. He is One and He has no partner with Him; His is the sovereignty and His is the praise, and He is Omnipotent),'
                              Do not say about Allah but Truth.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X