Question on How You Experience Your Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on How You Experience Your Religion

Hello! I want to thank you for taking some time to read this.

Now, first off, I am coming to you with an outsider perspective. I'm not a Muslim, and I really know very little about Islam or the lives of Muslims, so if I say anything that is insensitive or offensive, or if I ask a stupid question, please know that this is far from my intention. I'm only trying to learn. So, if anything like that happens, please forgive me, and then send me a private message explaining my mistake so I know not to do it again.

Okay, so, I am a writer, and I'm currently working on a novel set in a fictional place. I'm trying to develop a religion for my fictional people, and because it's fictional, I can't very well use any of the real religions, so I have to make a new one. One thing that I want to be sure to preserve is the personal, intimate feeling that I think a lot of religious people feel with God. I'm coming to this from a Christian background, so I understand more or less where that feeling comes from for Christians; they believe that Jesus, both God and the Son of God (to varying degrees, depending on the sect), took the penalty of sin and death onto himself so that people wouldn't have to go through it if they would believe in him. That creates a very personal and intimate feeling of love and gratitude for them. So, I get that, but I can't just build a religion where God comes down and sacrifices himself for his people, because that would just feel like cheating. I don't want to just make a thinly-veiled Christianity.

Now, I assume that you find something similar in Islam. Not necessarily the savior-by-proxy idea, but something that gives you the same sort of personal, intimate feeling of love for God that makes your faith so important to you. Perhaps it is a dogma or doctrine, a practice, maybe a tradition. I would appreciate it if you would tell me, in many words or few, what makes you so devoted to God, what makes you love God so much that you would dedicate your life to following Him. As I'm developing a fictional religion, I want to take inspiration from real-world religions, and Islam was the first one that came to mind. So please, if you have a moment, share your thoughts with me so that I can understand how you develop that feeling.

Thank you very much!
    Modras

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X