No announcement yet.

How to know if someone is a true ulema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to know if someone is a true ulema?

Assalamu 'alaykum,

So I got into a conversation yesterday with my father, I said that as laymen we should follow the guidance of the ulema. Then he said how do you know if someone is an alim and what he preaches is true? I said that they're acknowledged unanimously such as the four madhab imams, the later ones such as imam al ghazali, and the contemporary ones such as shaykh al bouti. For the contemporary ones we can trace where they acquired their knowledge, the chain, ijaza, etc. He's still not convinced, he thinks that islamic knowledge can be gained from anyone even directly from the qur'an (without referring to the mufassirun) with reliance upon Allah's guidance. He also has some "teachers" who aren't traditionally educated and whom I know have some doubtful teachings. I think this is a dangerous way of seeking knowledge. As Ibn Sireen said, be careful of where you take your deen knowledge from (paraphrased). How should I explain to my dad? Is there any helpful articles? Jazakallah khairan.
    Last edited by budi.sudaryo; 09-09-15, 03:10 AM.
    I'm on a strict time management regiment and have to limit my time online. Therefore I have to reply selectively. Please don't be offended if I ignore your questions. :jkk:

Re: How to know if someone is a true ulema?

bump , any answer from the Knowledgeable people here. Jzk
    My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

your right that four madhabs are unanimously verified and regarding the latter Scholars one way of verifying them is indeed through the ijaza however as long as they are madhabi Scholars then that is a form of verification too as they only take their teachings from the verified madhabs.

Comment

by looking at religious commitment....good character, honest, tahajjud etc...
        You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Most are in the Council of Senior Scholars.
          Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

The true ulema are not the most educated or those who attended the biggest universities, but those at the forefront. They are basically on the path of the prophets, speaking out against evil

not many around today. Those sitting inside reading and studying but not teaching or speaking out against oppression are no more than donkeys with books

neither are they the ones cozying up to the leaders and selling fatwas for a few dollars

Comment

Someone can't be a true ulema.
              اللهم يا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبي على دينك

Comment

Originally posted by ابن مرة View Post
                Someone can't be a true ulema.
                he hee!, but they can be a true A'lim! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Peace4mankind View Post
                  he hee!, but they can be a true A'lim! :D
                  Asalamalikum & Jazakallah khair for all , good answers when comparing to similar threads before always went unanswered so this bump was useful. All get 9/10 except post # 7 which gets 10/10 lol, its a single person (some 1) cannot be a Ulama (plural of Aalim ) he hee! too :D

well i got some answer from on line search few months ago let me copy & past it here (might be I had edited it a little)

'' The Qur'an and Hadith may not contain answers to questions faced a long period after the revelation and even the Madhabi Imaams whom we can depend may also not have answers for the same so people come up with their own different answers by qiyas (analogy) or by other less than completely objective approaches.

Now, as far as individuals are concerned, they can still lead righteous lives despite different possible answers to some questions of detail, as indeed Muslims have done throughout history. The Qur'an guarantees that everyone who has ikhlas (sincerity, honesty) and strives in the way of God (which includes controlling one's desires, obeying the clear commandments and practicing dhikr and fikr (worrying on the state of the muslim ummah), that is, remembrance of God and thinking and reflecting) will be protected from the devil, that is, going astray and will be shown the path of God:

"And (the devil) said: By Your honour (O Lord) I will lead them all astray except such among Your servants as are sincere." (38:83)

"And those who exert effort in Our way we show them Our paths and God is surely with the good." (29:69)

So, individuals will be able to find the way of God despite differences in matters of detail. However, often a need is felt by Muslims for collective, united, action and in such cases differences in views can be crippling. This is why the establishment of Islamic states in Muslim countries has been found very difficult. In fact, it can be said without hesitation that after the time of four rightly guided khulafa Islam has largely existed as a way of life of individuals and not of societies. Yet it is clearly an intention of Islam to shape both individuals and societies according to its principles.One of the purposes of ijma' is to limit differences and to prevent them from disintegrating the Muslim society. This role of ijma' is comparable to the role of the Pope in Catholicism. But ijma' has not been as effective in ensuring cohesion of the society and in providing answers to new questions. This is because ijma' is itself subject to differences of views, as we have seen above. Furthermore, it is often extremely difficult to know whether or not ijma' on a matter has taken place, so much so that Imam Ahmad bin Hambal reportedly used to say that anyone claiming ijma' (after the age of suhaba) is a liar ''.

I've also bumped my old thread which does have some answer for the Ulama question see post # 13
                  http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...55#post6662355
                  Last edited by talibilm09; 29-09-15, 05:28 AM.
                  My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X