Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Was a Quarter Of A Dinar Worth in Muhammad's time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Was a Quarter Of A Dinar Worth in Muhammad's time?

I read that the punishment for stealing i.e amputation was only to be gone ahead if the thing that was stolen was worth a quarter of a dinar.

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 81, Number 780:

Narrated 'Aisha:

The Prophet said, "The hand should be cut off for stealing something that is worth a quarter of a Dinar or more."

[Sahih Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 81, Number 780]

How much worth was the dinar during the time of Muhammad and how much would half of it be?

Also how about today, what would the dinar/quarter of a dinar be of worth today?

Re: How Much Was a Quarter Of A Dinar Worth in Muhammad's time?

According to www.islamicmint.com, a silver Dinar is worth 5,50 EUR and a gold dinar is worth 160,00 EUR
    “Ask forgiveness from your Lord. Indeed! He is Oft-Forgiving.” (71:10)

Comment

Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
      According to www.islamicmint.com, a silver Dinar is worth 5,50 EUR and a gold dinar is worth 160,00 EUR
      That means nothing during the time of Muhammad. You need to look at the historical value of what a single historical coin could purchas in thel time frame in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Serada View Post
        That means nothing during the time of Muhammad. You need to look at the historical value of what a single historical coin could purchas in thel time frame in question.
        I couldn't find it so I just answered the last question in his post

Comment

The first dinars were not actually made until after the death of Muhammad by the looks of it. At least that is what I have been finding.

Comment

Originally posted by SofiaG View Post
            I couldn't find it so I just answered the last question in his post
            Everything I have seen said that dinars were not made until after the death of Muhammad and muhammad's time they were using coins already made. Sassanian and the Byzantine money.
            http://www.islamic-awareness.org/History/Islam/Coins/

Comment

Everything I have seen said that dinars were not made until after the death of Muhammad and muhammad's time they were using coins already made. Sassanian and the Byzantine money.
              Well that explains why I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link :)

Comment

But this is talking about coinage specifically isn't it? Like their stamping etc.
                The terms 'dinar' and 'dirham' clearly refer to some form of currency that was used during the Prophet's SAW time... And they were in some form of coins too as that was mentioned in a hadith I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by TCKMuslima View Post
                  But this is talking about coinage specifically isn't it? Like their stamping etc.
                  The terms 'dinar' and 'dirham' clearly refer to some form of currency that was used during the Prophet's SAW time... And they were in some form of coins too as that was mentioned in a hadith I remember.
                  Then that would be the Sassanian and the Byzantine money, that is what Muhammad used.

Comment

Working...
                  X