X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Habibul Mustafa
    replied
    Re: What is the greatest charity?

Greatest charity is to your own wife/children (family)
    after them, orphans closest to where you live

Leave a comment:

• abu salmah
    replied

Separate accommodation is the wife’s right, even if she did not stipulate it in the marriage contract, and she has the right to ask for it now, and she is not regarded as being wilfully defiant because of that. The commonly held view among some people, that this is creating division among siblings, is not true, because this is a shar’i right of the wife, and it serves the interests of both spouses, because it prevents free mixing and guards them against looking at things that are not permissible.

The husband must provide his wife with a dwelling place that will conceal her from the eyes of people and protect her from heat and cold, where she can live and settle and be independent. Whatever meets her needs is sufficient, such as a room in good condition with a kitchen and bathroom – unless the wife has stipulated larger accommodation in her marriage contract. He does not have the right to make her eat with any of her in-laws. The kind of accommodation provided must be commensurate with what the husband is able to provide and be suitable according to local custom (‘urf) and the social level of the wife.

it is permissible for him to accommodate you in a room of the house that has its own facilities, so long as there is no fitnah (temptation) or being alone with any non-mahrams who have reached the age of puberty. He does not have the right to force you to work for them in the house or to eat and drink with them. If he is able to provide you with accommodation that is completely separate from his family, that will be better for you, but if his parents are elderly and need him, and they have no one else to serve them and the only way he can serve them is by living with them, then he has to do that.

be patient and strive to please your husband and to help him to honour and be kind to his family as much as possible until Allaah grants you a way out. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Tha't being said it appears he has given your right of separate accommodation - apart from patio- if you do not feel comfortable in that situation then tell him in a gentle way how you feel and then have patients.

Leave a comment:

• AmeeraQ
    replied

I currently will reside with my in laws, but in a separate accommodation. It's kind of weird, because Dubai is strange in that. It's a giant place, but it has separate sections, I just can't go outside within the patio (there are large walls) without my hijab. Because my brother in Law resides in the same location, but separate accommodation. I don't know if I'm making sense. Anyhow my husband went and put all of his savings he had for a house... a separate accommodation entirely, where I can walk without my hijab, to go and purchase juice for the Masjid during Ramadan.... and I'm talking a LOT of juice cause houses here are in the millions... he said he was BROKE!...Anyhow, I want to correct him regarding charity for others as opposed to his family. I don't ask for a lot, because I'm not keen to asking for things, I let things be given to me alhumdellah. But a house was for sure something I wanted because I don't want to live with in laws and he can afford it. He had separate accommodation entirely for his previous marriages.

I'm also finishing my degree in Canada, while he is still in Dubai. We agreed before marriage that I would finish my Masters and I let go of pursuing a pHD because he doesn't want me to be far away for more than 1 year while I finish up my Masters. Is it wrong to ask him to help me with separate accommodation away from my step father? I don't like living in the same place as my step father and mother, but I'm not sure how to pursue this, I don't even ask for food unless he offers. Just ice cream. I'm really shy to approach any of this, cause I've always supported myself, but since I got married there's restriction on the kind of work I can do and the amount of hours, so I don't have the same cash lying around as before.

Leave a comment:

• abu salmah
    replied
    Last edited by abu salmah; 27-07-15, 12:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• halfmydeen89
    replied

"They ask you (O Muhammad) what they should spend in charity. Say: 'Whatever you spend with a good heart, give it to parents, relatives, orphans, the helpless, and travellers in need. Whatever good you do, God is aware of it.'" - The Holy Quran, 2:215

To answer your question, it is the right of the wife and children to have safe accommodation provided by the husband. If a man neglects this then he is sinning and will be questioned about this. And some scholars include living with in-laws as a potential harm to the wife (each situation is different) in which case the husband should strive for separate accommodation.

On the other hand providing juice to the masjid is an act of goodness but not obliged upon your husband.

Look at your situation and see what is within the means of your husband. If he is neglecting your rights for the sake of optional charity then this is not allowed and may even take the barakah out from any charity he gives.

Leave a comment:

• AmeeraQ
    started a topic What is the greatest charity?

What is the greatest charity?

I want to know where the greatest charity is?

Is it when it is given to the poor?
    Or when it is given to the family?

Like for example when a husband saves up to get a home for his wife and children?
    Or when a husband spends all of that saving on purchasing juice for the masjid?

Thanks!

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X