• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing of dogs?

Please read all of this.

To kill dogs or certain types of dogs:

- Muslim - 3813.
    Abu Zubair heard Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with him) saying: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered us to kill dogs, and we carried out this order so much so that we also kill the dog coming with a woman from the desert. Then Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) forbade their killing. He (the Holy Prophet further) said: It is your duty the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes), for it is a devil.

- Muslim - 3812.
    Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with them) reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be, upon him) ordered the killing of dogs except the dog tamed for hunting, or watching of the herd of sheep or other domestic animals. It was said to Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with them) that Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) talks of (exception) about the dog for watching the field, whereupon he said: Since Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) possessed land.

- Muslim - 3814.
    Ibn Mughaffal reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered the killing of dogs and then said: what is the trouble with them (the people of Medina)? How dogs are nuisance to them (the citizens of Medina)? He then permitted keehing of dogs for hunting and (the protection of) herds. In the hadith transmitted on the authority of Yahya, he (the Holy Prophet) permitted the keeping of dogs for (the protection of) herds, for hunting and (the protection of) cultivated land.

- Abu Dawud - 2839.
    Narrated Abdullah ibn Mughaffal: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Were dogs not a species of creature I should command that they all be killed; but kill every pure black one.

- Abu Dawud - 2840.
    Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah: The Prophet of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) ordered to kill dogs, and we were even killing a dog which a woman brought with her from the desert. Afterwards he forbade to kill them, saying: Confine yourselves to the type which is black.
    There's also another Hadith that says black dogs are devils. In Sahih Muslim, Book 4, Number 1032.

- Bukhari - Volume 4, Book 54, Number 540:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
    Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed.

- Muslim - 5248.
    Maimuna reported that one morning Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was silent with grief. Maimuna said: Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me tonight, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises, and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He commanded and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it at that place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: you promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. Then on that very morning he commanded the killing of the dogs until he announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog meant for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens).

Contradictions:

- Bukhari - Volume 4, Book 54, Number 538:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    Allah's Apostle said, A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that.

- Bukhari - Volume 1, Book 4, Number 174:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    The Prophet said, A man saw a dog eating mud from (the severity of) thirst. So, that man took a shoe (and filled it) with water and kept on pouring the water for the dog till it quenched its thirst. So Allah approved of his deed and made him to enter Paradise." And narrated Hamza bin 'Abdullah: My father said. "During the lifetime of Allah's Apostle, the dogs used to urinate, and pass through the mosques (come and go), nevertheless they never used to sprinkle water on it (urine of the dog.)
    How is it that an angel won't enter a house if a dog is there (Bukhari Hadith 3:515) but a dog can urinate in and pass through a mosque without consequences? Do angels enter mosques regardless?

And yes I've read these too:

- Bukhari - Volume 3, Book 29, Number 54 :
    Narrated by Hafsa:
    Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog."

- Muslim - 2717.
    'Aisha, the wife of the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Four are the vicious (birds, beasts and reptiles) which should be killed in the state of Ihram or otherwise: kite (and vulture), crow, rat, and the voracious dog I (one of the narrators, 'Ubaid-ullah b. Miqsam) said to Qasim (the other narrator who heard it from 'Aisha): What about the snake? Said: Let it be killed with disgrace.

However, these don't explain the Hadith that talk about killing black dogs or all other dogs that aren't for hunting or protection of land/fields. Are the Hadith that are 'ordering' to kill dogs sahih or daeef?

Re: Killing of dogs?

Comment

http://islamqa.info/en/159518
      A bit relevant

Well the Ahadith of Bukhari and Muslim are always sahih if you have really copy pasted them from the books (online) directly. People have the tendency to attribute some Ahadith to Bukhari and Muslim altho they might not have such ahadith at all.

I'll check these inshaAllah
      Bandon say dil naa lagao sirf Allah say lagao.

Comment

http://sunnah.com/muslim/22/59

http://sunnah.com/muslim/22/58

http://sunnah.com/muslim/22/60

http://sunnah.com/abudawud/17/2

http://sunnah.com/abudawud/17/3

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/59/129

http://sunnah.com/muslim/37/128

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/59/127

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/4/39

http://sunnah.com/bukhari/28/8

http://sunnah.com/muslim/15/71

All of these Ahadith you mentioned are sahih,

If someone posts explanation of these then that would be greatly appreciated
        Bandon say dil naa lagao sirf Allah say lagao.

Comment

Originally posted by AbulUthman View Post
          http://islamqa.info/en/159518
          A bit relevant

Well the Ahadith of Bukhari and Muslim are always sahih if you have really copy pasted them from the books (online) directly. People have the tendency to attribute some Ahadith to Bukhari and Muslim altho they might not have such ahadith at all.

I'll check these inshaAllah
          Yes, I looked them up.
          I'm inclined to say that the meaning is pretty obvious but I'd still like to see if someone has some kind of other explanation.

Thanks for the links.

Comment

Originally posted by HealerofWorlds View Post
            Please read all of this.

To kill dogs or certain types of dogs:

- Muslim - 3813.
            Abu Zubair heard Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with him) saying: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered us to kill dogs, and we carried out this order so much so that we also kill the dog coming with a woman from the desert. Then Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) forbade their killing. He (the Holy Prophet further) said: It is your duty the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes), for it is a devil.

- Muslim - 3812.
            Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with them) reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be, upon him) ordered the killing of dogs except the dog tamed for hunting, or watching of the herd of sheep or other domestic animals. It was said to Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with them) that Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) talks of (exception) about the dog for watching the field, whereupon he said: Since Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) possessed land.

- Muslim - 3814.
            Ibn Mughaffal reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ordered the killing of dogs and then said: what is the trouble with them (the people of Medina)? How dogs are nuisance to them (the citizens of Medina)? He then permitted keehing of dogs for hunting and (the protection of) herds. In the hadith transmitted on the authority of Yahya, he (the Holy Prophet) permitted the keeping of dogs for (the protection of) herds, for hunting and (the protection of) cultivated land.

- Abu Dawud - 2839.
            Narrated Abdullah ibn Mughaffal: The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Were dogs not a species of creature I should command that they all be killed; but kill every pure black one.

- Abu Dawud - 2840.
            Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah: The Prophet of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) ordered to kill dogs, and we were even killing a dog which a woman brought with her from the desert. Afterwards he forbade to kill them, saying: Confine yourselves to the type which is black.
            There's also another Hadith that says black dogs are devils. In Sahih Muslim, Book 4, Number 1032.

- Muslim - 5248.
            Maimuna reported that one morning Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was silent with grief. Maimuna said: Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me tonight, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises, and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He commanded and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it at that place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: you promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. Then on that very morning he commanded the killing of the dogs until he announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog meant for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens).

Contradictions:

- Bukhari - Volume 4, Book 54, Number 538:
            Narrated Abu Huraira:
            Allah's Apostle said, A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that.

- Bukhari - Volume 1, Book 4, Number 174:
            Narrated Abu Huraira:
            The Prophet said, A man saw a dog eating mud from (the severity of) thirst. So, that man took a shoe (and filled it) with water and kept on pouring the water for the dog till it quenched its thirst. So Allah approved of his deed and made him to enter Paradise." And narrated Hamza bin 'Abdullah: My father said. "During the lifetime of Allah's Apostle, the dogs used to urinate, and pass through the mosques (come and go), nevertheless they never used to sprinkle water on it (urine of the dog.)
            How is it that an angel won't enter a house if a dog is there (Bukhari Hadith 3:515) but a dog can urinate in and pass through a mosque without consequences? Do angels enter mosques regardless?

And yes I've read these too:

- Bukhari - Volume 3, Book 29, Number 54 :
            Narrated by Hafsa:
            Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog."

- Muslim - 2717.
            'Aisha, the wife of the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Four are the vicious (birds, beasts and reptiles) which should be killed in the state of Ihram or otherwise: kite (and vulture), crow, rat, and the voracious dog I (one of the narrators, 'Ubaid-ullah b. Miqsam) said to Qasim (the other narrator who heard it from 'Aisha): What about the snake? Said: Let it be killed with disgrace.

However, these don't explain the Hadith that talk about killing black dogs or all other dogs that aren't for hunting or protection of land/fields. Are the Hadith that are 'ordering' to kill dogs sahih or daeef?
            Response: The hadith of Bukhari and Muslim are all authentic and reliable. There is also no contradiction in the hadiths, which one can see when read carefully.

One must understand the times back then. There is no such thing as an animal hospital or veterinarian. So dogs may carry diseases, which is why they were ordered to be killed. Even today, a sane person will not pick up a random dog in the street and bring it home without at least getting it checked at a hospital. Unfortunately this luxury was nor there during the time of the Prophet. The dogs were like rabid with diseases.

You will also notice that certain dogs were ordered to be killed. Let's understand the area of Arabia and that there is a distinguish today between a domestic dog and a wild dog. So when the prophet is ordering the killing of dogs, it is logic to conclude he is referring to wild dogs.

In conclusion, there are dogs that safe to keep, which due to the advancement of science we can easily determine today. Yet back then, it was not so easy to determine which dogs are rabid and which can be domesticated. So the Prophet ordered the killings of some and allowed dogs to be kept only as guard dogs or for hunting, and not to keep in the home as pets because if their wild nature and chance of diseases.

Comment

Singling out black dogs for death even if with owner make no sense to me. But I do understand wanting to kill packs of rabid wild dogs. We have people who work at animal shelters who job is to capture dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Serada View Post
                Singling out black dogs for death even if with owner make no sense to me. But I do understand wanting to kill packs of rabid wild dogs. We have people who work at animal shelters who job is to capture dogs.
                Response: Today, we classify dogs by science. Such as a rottweiler and a wolf. Both are black but one is wild. These names and classifications did not exist then. So based on context and the times, we can conclude that black dogs must refer to wild dogs, which likely carry diseases and are not easily tamed. So whether one owns one or nor does not change the dogs nature or disease, which is why they were killed.

I think the confusion comes from us today when we think of a black dog, that can refer to a little cuddly dog or a pack of wild dogs. I'm sure the prophet was referring to the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Fatihah View Post
                  Response: Today, we classify dogs by science. Such as a rottweiler and a wolf. Both are black but one is wild. These names and classifications did not exist then. So based on context and the times, we can conclude that black dogs must refer to wild dogs, which likely carry diseases and are not easily tamed. So whether one owns one or nor does not change the dogs nature or disease, which is why they were killed.

I think the confusion comes from us today when we think of a black dog, that can refer to a little cuddly dog or a pack of wild dogs. I'm sure the prophet was referring to the latter.
                  You mean a wild term does not exist in Islam, or the word wolf does not exist in Islam, or untamed? No it says black, black is a color and do not see the conection, I do not accept your really bad explanation and it does not make sense or logical reason why black means something other than the color black..

Comment

Originally posted by Al-Fatihah View Post
                    Response: The hadith of Bukhari and Muslim are all authentic and reliable. There is also no contradiction in the hadiths, which one can see when read carefully.

One must understand the times back then. There is no such thing as an animal hospital or veterinarian. So dogs may carry diseases, which is why they were ordered to be killed. Even today, a sane person will not pick up a random dog in the street and bring it home without at least getting it checked at a hospital. Unfortunately this luxury was nor there during the time of the Prophet. The dogs were like rabid with diseases.

You will also notice that certain dogs were ordered to be killed. Let's understand the area of Arabia and that there is a distinguish today between a domestic dog and a wild dog. So when the prophet is ordering the killing of dogs, it is logic to conclude he is referring to wild dogs.

In conclusion, there are dogs that safe to keep, which due to the advancement of science we can easily determine today. Yet back then, it was not so easy to determine which dogs are rabid and which can be domesticated. So the Prophet ordered the killings of some and allowed dogs to be kept only as guard dogs or for hunting, and not to keep in the home as pets because if their wild nature and chance of diseases.
                    Isn't this your own interpretation though? I thought Islam is for all times? Isn't it like those people who say slavery has no place in today's world? If one reads these Hadith and decides to kill stray dogs, do you think that would that be a sin? If yes, why?

From the Hadith that order to kill dogs one can easily see that it's saying to kill all dogs except those for hunting and protection of lands or to kill all black dogs. As I mentioned, there is also another Hadith which talks about black dogs being devils (Sahih Muslim, Book 4, Number 1032). I wonder why only black dogs are 'devils'?
                    The following Hadith doesn't even seem to give a reasoning and it's a Sahih Bukhari Hadith...

Comment

Originally posted by HealerofWorlds View Post
                      Isn't this your own interpretation though? I thought Islam is for all times? Isn't it like those people who say slavery has no place in today's world?
                      If one reads these Hadith and decides to kill stray dogs, do you think that would that be a sin? If yes, why?
                      From the Hadith that order to kill dogs one can easily see that it's saying to kill all dogs except those for hunting and protection of lands or to kill all black dogs. As I mentioned, there is also another Hadith which talks about black dogs being devils (Sahih Muslim, Book 4, Number 1032). I wonder why only black dogs are 'devils'?
                      The following Hadith doesn't even seem to give a reasoning and it's a Sahih Bukhari Hadith...

It is always wrong to kill. It's the one thing that I cannot understand why muslims find so acceptable and never question.

Comment

You mean a wild term does not exist in Islam, or the word wolf does not exist in Islam, or untamed? No it says black, black is a color and do not see the conection, I do not accept your really bad explanation and it does not make sense or logical reason why black means something other than the color black..
                        Here's a black dog - one that serves a blind person and gives them freedoms they would never otherwise have. But you think it should be killed?

ernie.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SBL View Post
                          Here's a black dog - one that serves a blind person and gives them freedoms they would never otherwise have. But you think it should be killed?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77482[/ATTACH]
                          Are you confusing me with someone else I think. I don't think black dogs should be killed, I am the one that does not understand why black dogs should be killed.

Comment

Are you confusing me with someone else I think. I don't think black dogs should be killed, I am the one that does not understand why black dogs should be killed.
                            I am confusing you, my apologies - I had read you post to mean that is was colour alone that meant black dogs should be killed.

Comment

Originally posted by SBL View Post
                              It is always wrong to kill. It's the one thing that I cannot understand why muslims find so acceptable and never question.
                              Killing rapid and diseased dogs and uncontrolled and dangerious dogs that are killing farm animals and attacking people need to be put down. So that part I can understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X