Business complications with Muslim brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Business complications with Muslim brother

What if after this he is unable to give me any rides at all? This is the new text message I have received

Comment

Originally posted by newmuslimguy View Post
      I will keep this as concise as possible and will leave out details as it is not relevant to the question and would take a lot of time and explanation.

I told a Muslim brother I knew of a business idea I would start up that involved a set of skills only I possessed. I told him it would cost me $5000 to get the business started and all I would have to do is take the bus to the location I have my business and dedicate some time to it. It would also take me a few months to get things setup before there would be any profit made. After telling me this he begged to be my partner in the business. He offered to pay for half of the business as well as give me rides with his car rather than having to take the bus. I told him no the first 100 times, explaining that I didn't need him to give me a ride and me taking a sum as small as $2500 in order to start giving him a percentage of my profits would not be worth it for me. He begged and begged and begged until I caved and finally agreed. He is a good friend of mine, so I decided helping him out and giving him a small portion of the profit wouldn't hurt.

The original agreement was he pays half and gives me a ride 3 days a week and he would receive 16% of the business. The first month at least he would give me the 3 rides a week, but I'm not sure how much they helped. 100% of the time he came to pick me up he was late because of "traffic." Sometimes he would run errands before taking me there, sometimes he comes and picks me up while running on his reserve tank, and sometimes he would just miss the exit 4 times in a row. Whatever the excuse, it was never a simple drive from point A to point B. The second month he barely showed up to give me any rides. Maybe once a week, but otherwise he made an excuse or just ignored me. After confronting him about it he said he could no longer come to give me a ride 3 times a week. That's why he wasn't able to come get me the past month and once a week is all he could do. I explained to him that allowing him in the business was a favor and that it wasn't really helping me to take me one day a week. After complaining again I agreed once a week was fine, but he would only get 8% of the business.

Now, he hasn't come in two week and would like to re-re-negotiate the terms. So, Islamically, what do I owe him and what are my options? I don't want to upset Allah in this transactions, but I don't feel he has left me with many options. What would it look like if a) I wanted to buy him our or b) How would i re-negotiate the terms
      Your best option is to go with him to a local scholar and draw up a legitimate business agreement, not merely something verbal, something like this: http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/29757

then you can redo your agreement over from scratch with no gray areas anywhere, nd if you feel he's not able to upkeep his end of the deal then don't go into partnership with him.

Wallaahu A`lam.
      "The more you know, the more you realise how little you know. The less you know, the more you think you know." - Abu Mus'ab.
      Darul Ilm Blog
      Darul Ilm Faceboook
      Darul Ilm Twitter
      Darul Ilm Google+
      Ummah Radio Classes
      Ummah Radio
      Ummah Radio Youtube Channel
      Subscribe to our Youtube channel to be informed of any new uploads.

Comment

Originally posted by newmuslimguy View Post
        I will keep this as concise as possible and will leave out details as it is not relevant to the question and would take a lot of time and explanation.

I told a Muslim brother I knew of a business idea I would start up that involved a set of skills only I possessed. I told him it would cost me $5000 to get the business started and all I would have to do is take the bus to the location I have my business and dedicate some time to it. It would also take me a few months to get things setup before there would be any profit made. After telling me this he begged to be my partner in the business. He offered to pay for half of the business as well as give me rides with his car rather than having to take the bus. I told him no the first 100 times, explaining that I didn't need him to give me a ride and me taking a sum as small as $2500 in order to start giving him a percentage of my profits would not be worth it for me. He begged and begged and begged until I caved and finally agreed. He is a good friend of mine, so I decided helping him out and giving him a small portion of the profit wouldn't hurt.

The original agreement was he pays half and gives me a ride 3 days a week and he would receive 16% of the business. The first month at least he would give me the 3 rides a week, but I'm not sure how much they helped. 100% of the time he came to pick me up he was late because of "traffic." Sometimes he would run errands before taking me there, sometimes he comes and picks me up while running on his reserve tank, and sometimes he would just miss the exit 4 times in a row. Whatever the excuse, it was never a simple drive from point A to point B. The second month he barely showed up to give me any rides. Maybe once a week, but otherwise he made an excuse or just ignored me. After confronting him about it he said he could no longer come to give me a ride 3 times a week. That's why he wasn't able to come get me the past month and once a week is all he could do. I explained to him that allowing him in the business was a favor and that it wasn't really helping me to take me one day a week. After complaining again I agreed once a week was fine, but he would only get 8% of the business.

Now, he hasn't come in two week and would like to re-re-negotiate the terms. So, Islamically, what do I owe him and what are my options? I don't want to upset Allah in this transactions, but I don't feel he has left me with many options. What would it look like if a) I wanted to buy him our or b) How would i re-negotiate the terms
        I think your best option is to give him back the 2500 and end the agreement/contract. partnerships with friends usually end up very bad in the end, so save yourself from the trouble down the road.

Comment

best buy him out as he probably will always be problematic

he did put in $2500 which is a lot of money; i'd pay him back about 90 percent of it!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X