Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philosophy exam - halal or haraam?

Salaams,
    For my GCSEs I will be having to do A-Level Philosophy (don't ask me why). My question is whether or not that is haraam or halal. In either case I can't avoid it so the least I can do is to minimize the fitna. We will be looking at concepts such as whether Allah (swt) exists or not, epistemology, idealism, the anthropic principles, utilitarianism, etc.

Re: Philosophy exam - halal or haraam?

Why would the discussion and examination on the topics you mention be considered haram?

Are you required to adopt or testify to the certainty of a belief that is contrary to Islam?

If the study is simply a survey of certain topics in philosophy, then as long as you are not required to attest to a belief or concept that is deemed kufr, then I don't see how the mere study of one of these topics is haram.

There is some evidence to suggest that learning these areas of philosophical thought could be of benefit and useful for your worship of Allah.
    It may be helpful that you understand how the enemies of Islam think and what is the sequence of their logic.

When I was in university, I rather enjoyed these types of classes because it opened the door for me to raise questions against kufr concepts and to call to the alternative Islamic concepts.

Insha Allah you can prepare thoroughly and raise questions and carry on debates and discussions with students or the professor in front of the entire class every day for weeks calling for the Dawah to Islam!!!
    Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
    " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Re: Philosophy exam - halal or haraam?

i cant tell it's halal or haram, but if i were you, i'll just go straight away if it's unavoidable. fyi, when i was in grad school, philosophy of science is required for every Ph.D students. and no, no one becoming crazy or kufr from attending the classes. :-)

but if you worry your aqeeda will be somehow influenced, i read from Shaykh Faraz Rabbani to read Ghazali's ''deliverance from error" to neutralize potential negative effect of philosophy (no worry, it's very short essay of ghazali)

download link for ghazali coming later iA
      :GB_bonesrock:
      And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X