Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a revert. My parents aren't muslim. Please advise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a revert. My parents aren't muslim. Please advise...

As salaam wa ailakum brothers and sisters. I'll make this short. I reverted to Islam last year. I grew up in a catholic family who go to church every Sunday, celebrate Christmas and all other usual American Christian ideals. When I attempt to shed light on Christianity, such as bible verses about drinking alcohol, eating pork and others, they simply pass it off. I'm not trying to push Islam, just trying to show them how their own religion has changed so much that they don't even know these rules. The same rules we as Muslims follow.

When the topic comes up, it's as if the statement I make referring to the Bible goes in one ear and out the other. It's as if they don't take their own religion seriously even though we were forced to attend church, Sunday school and all other religious worship sessions.

I know about dua. Making dua for Allah to open their hearts, but I feel the need to at least show them something. Even if it's just the rules in their own religion they aren't following.

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense here.

I just want to know if anyone goes through what I am, or did. Some advice about this??

Jazak Allah khair for reading this even if you don't respond.

Re: I'm a revert. My parents aren't muslim. Please advise...

asalamu alaikum
    i have a similar situation, my family are christian but everything you say to them goes in one ear and out the other too. We can have debates where i'll quote biblical verses, mention the council of nicea, talk about authenticity of the bible etc etc but when im finished they carry on in their christianity as if we never spoke. I cant really offer advice on this akhi only to say for you to keep trying. Your job is not to make them believe your job is to convey the message. Whether they accept it or not is up to Allah
    Each person has inside a basic decency and goodness. If he listens to it and acts on it, he is giving a great deal of what it is the world needs most. It is not complicated but it takes courage. It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Revert0525 View Post
      As salaam wa ailakum brothers and sisters. I'll make this short. I reverted to Islam last year. I grew up in a catholic family who go to church every Sunday, celebrate Christmas and all other usual American Christian ideals. When I attempt to shed light on Christianity, such as bible verses about drinking alcohol, eating pork and others, they simply pass it off. I'm not trying to push Islam, just trying to show them how their own religion has changed so much that they don't even know these rules. The same rules we as Muslims follow.

When the topic comes up, it's as if the statement I make referring to the Bible goes in one ear and out the other. It's as if they don't take their own religion seriously even though we were forced to attend church, Sunday school and all other religious worship sessions.

I know about dua. Making dua for Allah to open their hearts, but I feel the need to at least show them something. Even if it's just the rules in their own religion they aren't following.

I just want to know if anyone goes through what I am, or did. Some advice about this??

Wa alaikum Salam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh. :)
      Brother, my opinion is, give them da'wah :). The best da'wah is Show them what is the real Islam by how you speak, show them how you think, politeness, honesty, etc. Don't debate them or show they are wrong but discussion :) . Keep make dua, because only with Hidayah from Allah they will embrace Islam. May Allah give your family hidayah and embrace Islam. Amin ya rabbal alamin.

Comment

Brother, my opinion is, give them da'wah :). The best da'wah is Show them what is the real Islam by how you speak, show them how you think, politeness, honesty, etc. Don't debate them or show they are wrong but discussion :) . Keep make dua, because only with Hidayah from Allah they will embrace Islam. May Allah give your family hidayah and embrace Islam. Amin ya rabbal alamin.

Comment

D what you can, and keep making dua for them. People may not accept Islam straight away. Remember, even during the time of the Prophet :saw:, some did not become muslim even after having been exposed to the dawah until 15, 20 years later.
          Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

Jazak Allah khair, Eesa. Thank you so much for your kind words. SubhanAllah, I was watching a video with Humza Usaf where he mentioned that his father has still not converted after 30 YEARS of da'wah!!! SubhanAllah. Right after I read your message last night, I saw that video and it relieved my tension. It is so nice to know others are experiencing this same issue. It is hard to not get frustrated, but we have to be patient. I am here for you as well. If you ever need advice, please message me and I will do what I can to help. Barak Allah feek, Eesa. Thank you again. May Allah reward you.

Comment

Rahmat89, Jazak Allah khair! Brother, your advice is beautiful mashaAllah and I appreciate your time to help me with this topic. You are exactly right, patience and showing them how I have changed is a great way to make da'wah. Dua is strong and I will make sure to keep making dua for them. Barak Allah feek, brother. Please feel free to email me if you ever need advice if I may offer some help! Thank you again. May Allah reward you..

Comment

Mikha'eel, thank you so much brother. Jazak Allah khair. You are right, I guess I need to work more on my patience! Patience has always been tough for me...

Thank you again Barak Allah feek my brother

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
                  asalamu alaikum
                  i have a similar situation, my family are christian but everything you say to them goes in one ear and out the other too. We can have debates where i'll quote biblical verses, mention the council of nicea, talk about authenticity of the bible etc etc but when im finished they carry on in their christianity as if we never spoke. I cant really offer advice on this akhi only to say for you to keep trying. Your job is not to make them believe your job is to convey the message. Whether they accept it or not is up to Allah
                  Jazak Allah khair, Eesa. Thank you so much for your kind words. SubhanAllah, I was watching a video with Humza Usaf where he mentioned that his father has still not converted after 30 YEARS of da'wah!!! SubhanAllah. Right after I read your message last night, I saw that video and it relieved my tension. It is so nice to know others are experiencing this same issue. It is hard to not get frustrated, but we have to be patient. I am here for you as well. If you ever need advice, please message me and I will do what I can to help. Barak Allah feek, Eesa. Thank you again. May Allah reward you.

Comment

Originally posted by rahmat89 View Post
                    Rahmat89, Jazak Allah khair! Brother, your advice is beautiful mashaAllah and I appreciate your time to help me with this topic. You are exactly right, patience and showing them how I have changed is a great way to make da'wah. Dua is strong and I will make sure to keep making dua for them. Barak Allah feek, brother. Please feel free to email me if you ever need advice if I may offer some help! Thank you again. May Allah reward you..

Comment

Originally posted by Mikha’eel View Post
                      D what you can, and keep making dua for them. People may not accept Islam straight away. Remember, even during the time of the Prophet :saw:, some did not become muslim even after having been exposed to the dawah until 15, 20 years later.
                      Mikha'eel, thank you so much brother. Jazak Allah khair. You are right, I guess I need to work more on my patience! Patience has always been tough for me...

Thank you again Barak Allah feek my brother

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
                        asalamu alaikum
                        Brothers I don't know if you've watched this video but I hope it may give you both comfort and hope in sha Allah. Please watch it if you haven't. If your families are meant to become muslims then they will. You just try your hardest to show them the beauty of Islam. May Allah guide both your families hearts to the truth, ameen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsAVcJXvrCU

Also, OP maybe if you can see that one approach isn't working (showing them the flaws in their religion) abandon that approach and try a different way. For instance, if your family are devoutly christian try showing them the similarities between Islam and Christianity. That might get their attention better maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by TCKMuslima View Post
                          Brothers I don't know if you've watched this video but I hope it may give you both comfort and hope in sha Allah. Please watch it if you haven't. If your families are meant to become muslims then they will. You just try your hardest to show them the beauty of Islam. May Allah guide both your families hearts to the truth, ameen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsAVcJXvrCU

Also, OP maybe if you can see that one approach isn't working (showing them the flaws in their religion) abandon that approach and try a different way. For instance, if your family are devoutly christian try showing them the similarities between Islam and Christianity. That might get their attention better maybe?
                          Sister, may Allah reward you. Thank you so much for taking the time to include a link to this video. InshaAllah I will have a chance to view it today and share my thoughts with you all. I agree and my wife said the same thing. My approach isn't working well, so it is time to try EXACTLY what you said to try. Thank you so much.

Comment

salamualikum wr wb brother!

MaashALlah may Allah reward and bless your efforts amen!

I think what your doing is a good thing; trying to show them that their own religion was originally like Islam! and i'd like to suggest another approach too, which is, give it some more time to increase on your imaan and knowledge and then how about an 'all out' dawah?; sit them down one day requesting just five minutes of their time and just as Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) did to the Quraish, tell them how islam is truth and Allah has revealed the Quran and how they should accept Islam etc etc; once you have done that they just may think about what you said and seeing the positive changes in you too, you never know, ALlah might make them convert! :)

inshALlah may Allah save them all amen!

Comment

Originally posted by AbdullahiG View Post
                              salamualikum wr wb brother!

MaashALlah may Allah reward and bless your efforts amen!

I think what your doing is a good thing; trying to show them that their own religion was originally like Islam! and i'd like to suggest another approach too, which is, give it some more time to increase on your imaan and knowledge and then how about an 'all out' dawah?; sit them down one day requesting just five minutes of their time and just as Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) did to the Quraish, tell them how islam is truth and Allah has revealed the Quran and how they should accept Islam etc etc; once you have done that they just may think about what you said and seeing the positive changes in you too, you never know, ALlah might make them convert! :)

inshALlah may Allah save them all amen!
                              My brother....what powerful and inspiring words. May Allah reward you. Ameen. I think that is wonderful advice and I will do so inshaAllah. I am so eager to show them the right path!!! It is hard to contain! :)

Ameen my brother. Ameen. Please accept my sincerest appreciation and if you ever are in need of help, please feel free to message me.

Thank you again my brother

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X