Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i dont memorize strict haidth, is that okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i dont memorize strict haidth, is that okay?

when i read a haidth, i dont strictly remember each word of it, i just "understand it" and do what it says, is that haram?

Re: i dont memorize strict haidth, is that okay?

we can get lessons of basic realities from hadith, for example if it says backbiting leads to hell, we can take heed of that but anything of a more complex nature such as basing our views on worship on it etc will be wrong as that needs indepth contextual interpretation and this should be left to scholars

so regarding daily worship, we need to learn that from Scholars and from hadith we just get an admonition

hadith memorisation is a part of Islamic education but it is not the memorisation of the translations [as translations are just basic translations and most of the time do not convey the proper meaning]; the memorisations should be of the original Arabic and their correct meanings

Comment

:salams:

where have you heard it is obligatory to memorize hadith?
      If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
      (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Any Muslim can benefit from reading hadiths from al-Bukhari and Muslim, whether on his own or with others. As for studying hadith, Sheikh Shuayb al-Arnaut, with whom my wife and I are currently reading Imam al-Suyuti's Tadrib al-rawi [The training of the hadith narrator], emphasizes that the science of hadith deals with a vast and complex literature, a tremendous sea of information that requires a pilot to help one navigate, without which one is bound to run up on the rocks. In this context, Sheikh Shuayb once told us, "Whoever doesn't have a sheikh, the Devil is his sheikh, in any Islamic discipline."

In other words, there are benefits the ordinary Muslim can expect from personally reading hadith, and benefits that he cannot, unless he is both trained and uses other literature, particularly the classical commentaries that explain the hadiths meanings and their relation to Islam as a whole.

The benefits one can derive from reading al-Bukhari and Muslim are many: general knowledge of such fundamentals as the belief in Allah, the messengerhood of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), the Last Day and so on; as well as the general moral prescriptions of Islam to do good, avoid evil, perform the prayer, fast Ramadan, and so forth. The hadith collections also contain many other interesting points, such as the great rewards for acts of worship like the midmorning prayer (duha), the night vigil prayer (tahajjud), fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, giving voluntary charity, and So on. Anyone who reads these and puts them into practice in his life has an enormous return for reading hadith, even more so if he aims at perfecting himself by attaining the noble character traits of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) mentioned in hadith. Whoever learns and follows the prophetic example in these matters has triumphed in this world and the next.

What is not to be hoped for in reading hadith (without personal instruction from a sheikh for some time) is two things: to become an alim or Islamic scholar, and to deduce fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence) from the hadiths on particulars of sharia practice.

Without a guiding hand, the untrained reader will misunderstand many of the hadiths he reads, and these mistakes, if assimilated and left uncorrected, may pile up until he can never find his way out of them, let alone become a scholar.

http://masud.co.uk/ISLAM/nuh/studyh.htm

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X