Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a sin to read Quran in Arabic if you dont understand Arabic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a sin to read Quran in Arabic if you dont understand Arabic?

Hello there

I am just bit curious about how some peoples approach to reading Quran...in that i have noticed that they read Quran in recital in Arabic but have no clue as to what the words are saying. I am confused as to why anyone would read a sacred text in such as way..infact would not God be insulted if a person would just recite words they had no understanding when Quran has been revealed as guidance to be understood ...but some people just read like in parrot fashion....

Re: Is it a sin to read Quran in Arabic if you dont understand Arabic?

It is not a sin, the Quran is both content(signs and meanings) + style(the recital or how it was revealed) You receive benefit and reward weather you understand it or not(it is best to understand the meaning and way it was revealed), but that being said because no human being will understand it 100% in this world even if you do know arabic, since there are unknown(to us) words(their meaning) in it. It's audible recital however touches the heart.

Comment

^^^ in addition to the above......if a person cant read, scholars of Islam have said that even just looking to the script of the quran is a source of acquiring blessings (barakah) for the person's eyes.
      لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

Comment

No , that is not a sin.

Comment

Salam

http://islamqa.info/en/131788

Comment

reading Quran without understanding it acquires ten rewards for each letter read!

Comment

it is not sin but it is better to understand what he read

Comment

Originally posted by Ebrahem View Post
                it is not sin but it is better to understand what he read

Thanks a lot for your informative responses

the concept of inspiration from recital is very interesting, and the recital inducing blessings. but i agree with the point its best position to be able to understand words and meanings, which
                offers the greatest inspirations and blessing, i would imagine that
                learnign arabic would be a big and important goal to achive this state of reading and understanding, my thoughts are based on the idea of a person who reads Quran all there life and has never
                really understood meanings and just reads in recital in that God would not be may be pleased as he has sent down books to be read and understood by creation.

Comment

bismillah,

It is a fardhu to read it in arabic even if you don't understand it. Because Allah sent al-qur'an to Prophet Muhammad SAW in Arabic. Translation of Al-Qur'an is not Al-Qur'an. Al-Qur'an is the hardest book to translate.. I think it is the reason why al-qur'an hasn't changed after 1400 years because Al-Qur;an always read and written in its original languange.
                  I read Al-Qur'an in Arabic also in my native languange to understand it. If someone can not read Arabic it is not a sin to read it in their own langunge, but they should learn read arabic.. Our rophet SAW said : A Muslim Must finish read al-qur'an "khatam al'quran" at least once in his life. .

Allahu alam :)

Comment

thank you for your response, you made an interesting point about
                    preservation of original text, to preserve meaning, indeed as there is quote i read from some place that they say "translation is betryal", of the original meanings, but translations might be like a good starting point, while the the adherent is not fluent in arabic perhaps maybe.

My thoughts were regarding the first muslims and the Prophet(pbuh) in that they all read the Quran and totally understood what they were reading, (no one just "recited" Quran but was very clear about about what was being read, ) in that a thought could occur that if a person just "recites" Quran without knowing what they are reading then maybe perhaps they are transgressing from the original purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by qwerti View Post
                      thank you for your response, you made an interesting point about
                      preservation of original text, to preserve meaning, indeed as there is quote i read from some place that they say "translation is betryal", of the original meanings, but translations might be like a good starting point, while the the adherent is not fluent in arabic perhaps maybe.

My thoughts were regarding the first muslims and the Prophet(pbuh) in that they all read the Quran and totally understood what they were reading, (no one just "recited" Quran but was very clear about about what was being read, ) in that a thought could occur that if a person just "recites" Quran without knowing what they are reading then maybe perhaps they are transgressing from the original purposes.
                      Assalamualaikum,you are welcome brother.. I am glad if I can help :)
                      There are 2 type of Ayat in Al-Qur'an: ayat mutasyabihat and muhkamat

It is He who has sent down to you, [O Muhammad], the Book; in it are verses [that are] precise - they are the foundation of the Book - (muhkamat) and others unspecific (mustasyabihat). As for those in whose hearts is deviation [from truth], they will follow that of it which is unspecific, seeking discord and seeking an interpretation [suitable to them]. And no one knows its [true] interpretation except Allah . But those firm in knowledge say, "We believe in it. All [of it] is from our Lord." And no one will be reminded except those of understanding. (Ali Imran verse 7)

Mustasyabihat are ayahs which need interpretation and deep study regarding the subject of the ayah. Example: Water Circulation process, In Al-Qur'an there are many ayah that explain this scientific process, Ummah in our Prophet don't understand it clearly as we do. Because science are better now.
                      Surah al-baqarah ver 1. Alif-Lam-Mim, There are no exact meaning of that ayah, Scholar try to interpret it, but there are lot of interpretation about the meaning of this ayah :)

Ayah MUHKAMAT, are Ayah which is plain and clear. This is the basic and fundamental teaching of Al-Qur'an. This is what Our Prophet and Sahabah teach us.. :)

Allahu Alam (Allah know the best)

Comment

does a cassette or cd player get a reward for replaying a recitation of the quran?

nope, it can't comprehend or reflect on the message, but this is exactly what many people do through rote memorisation.

don't be backwards, get a translation.

Comment

Originally posted by lutonguy View Post
                          does a cassette or cd player get a reward for replaying a recitation of the quran?

nope, it can't comprehend or reflect on the message, but this is exactly what many people do through rote memorisation.

so majority of muslims don't get rewarded for reciting Quran?; you do know that most muslims don't understand Arabic or they rarely look up it's meaning?

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Yusuff View Post
                            you do know that most muslims don't understand Arabic or they rarely look up it's meaning?
                            educated people with access to free online translations have no excuse to seek reward for ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by lutonguy View Post

Bismillahirrahamanirrahim,
                              Assalamualaikum Wr. Wb.

The one who recorder on those cd/cassette will rewarded. I believe if someone read this: "Bismillahirrahamanirrahim," I will rewarded because I spread the verse of Al-Qur'an.
                              If you don't want to read it in arabic that is your choice but I believe translation of Al-Qur'an is not Al-Qur'an. Because some word is very hard to translate:, example: taqwa, ghaib, etc. The English translation of this words are not describe the true meaning of the words. And of course most Muslim need translation to understand it. I read Al-Qur'an in Arabic and also the translation to understand it:) just like more than 100 Million Muslim in my country (read in Arabic and also the translation to understand it). Allahu Alam (Allah know the best)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X