Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I don't think celebrating your own b'day is haram

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
    They shaykh mentioned them in the fatwa so they must be relevant. The last paragraph is all about hardship and ease.
    ok i'll paste it in context and we'll go through it:

The holidays which are forbidden [for Muslims] to observe are those with religious overtones [such as Christmas and Easter*] not the festive gatherings people observe due to certain events. Therefore, people are allowed to celebrate wedding anniversaries, birthdays or any occasion as such celebrations are not related to religious holidays. It is imperative that we work to remove the confusion surrounding this misunderstanding and the doubts that have affected many people [regarding this issue]. [Because of this misunderstanding] people find hardship and difficulty in their religion. Especially when a religious minded person holds [such non religious celebrations] to be from the major sins or rejected acts when, in fact, they are not

you know where it says '...such celebrations are not related to religious holidays', that's it; the fatwa is based on this so fatwa is complete there as far a ruling is concerned, i.e we can do it [and according to mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam al-Kawthari, as long as we do not follow kuffar step by step in the way they celebrate it]; full stop.

now the hardship thing has been mentioned after that; this is because some people do have hardship; you may not but others do; whether this hardship is little or much, they do

Comment

Originally posted by al-mukhtar View Post
      ok i'll paste it in context and we'll go through it:

The holidays which are forbidden [for Muslims] to observe are those with religious overtones [such as Christmas and Easter*] not the festive gatherings people observe due to certain events. Therefore, people are allowed to celebrate wedding anniversaries, birthdays or any occasion as such celebrations are not related to religious holidays. It is imperative that we work to remove the confusion surrounding this misunderstanding and the doubts that have affected many people [regarding this issue]. [Because of this misunderstanding] people find hardship and difficulty in their religion. Especially when a religious minded person holds [such non religious celebrations] to be from the major sins or rejected acts when, in fact, they are not

you know where it says '...such celebrations are not related to religious holidays', that's it; the fatwa is based on this so fatwa is complete there as far a ruling is concerned, i.e we can do it [and according to mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam al-Kawthari, as long as we do not follow kuffar step by step in the way they celebrate it]; full stop.

now the hardship thing has been mentioned after that; this is because some people do have hardship; you may not but others do; whether this hardship is little or much, they do
      OK, let's put the hardship issue aside because claiming to suffer 'hardship' due to not celebrating your birthday, wedding anniversary or independence day is obviously a load of nonsense. Interesting that the 'actual fatwa' is only a couple of sentences and the rest of the page is mostly about hardship and ease.

Define the meaning of 'religious' and then put it in the context of 'religious overtones' and 'religious holidays'.

Comment

OK, let's put the hardship issue aside because claiming to suffer 'hardship' due to not celebrating your birthday, wedding anniversary or independence day is obviously a load of nonsense. Interesting that the 'actual fatwa' is only a couple of sentences and the rest of the page is mostly about hardship and ease.

Define the meaning of 'religious' and then put it in the context of 'religious overtones' and 'religious holidays'.
        hmm they shoul be obvious shouldn't they; christmas , easter, Diwali, Halloween [devil worship?:D] thanks giving and the like; I suppose mothers day. fathers day, etc, will all be ok to muslims indulging in a bit of 'me love you mummy and ppapa! :inlove:; now guy fawkes night did start of with a Christian flavour to it but I wonder if it can be called a hundred percent secular now?; no religious overtones in it for centuries?!

Comment

hmm they shoul be obvious shouldn't they; christmas , easter, Diwali, Halloween [devil worship?:D] thanks giving and the like; I suppose mothers day. fathers day, etc, will all be ok to muslims indulging in a bit of 'me love you mummy and ppapa! :inlove:; now guy fawkes night did start of with a Christian flavour to it but I wonder if it can be called a hundred percent secular now?; no religious overtones in it for centuries?!
          I lean towards the position that there is no such thing as 'secularism' and that 'religion' is everything.

With regards to the fatwa, would it be fair to summarise the opinion on celebrating birthdays, wedding aniversaries and national independence days as 'mubah'?

Comment

I lean towards the position that there is no such thing as 'secularism' and that 'religion' is everything.

With regards to the fatwa, would it be fair to summarise the opinion on celebrating birthdays, wedding aniversaries and national independence days as 'mubah'?
            religion is everything? so the Hanbali madhab got it so drastically wrong when they allowed the celebration of athira?, and the maaliki madhab got it so wrong when they only considered it disliked? [better if you dont do but no sin if you do?]:

The school of Ahmed [Hanabliah] allowed the celebration of al-’Atirah which was a sacrifice, during the month of Rajab, observed by the people who lived prior to the advent of the Prophet [may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him]. Although the school of Imam Malik [Malikis] considered it disliked, since it was a practice from those days, the school of Ahmed allowed this practice since there was no text [from the Qur’an, Sunna or Consensus] that explicitly forbade it. Thus, this practice remained upon its original ruling, permissibility [here the sheikh is showing us how the scholars utilized the legal maxim mentioned above]. So, if people gather together to sacrifice there is no objection for them to congregate, celebrate, enjoy themselves and commemorate the independence of their country. Therefore, there is no hardship in celebrating such occurrences

Comment

yes that's right; mubah' it's just allowed that's all

Comment

yes that's right; mubah' it's just allowed that's all
                Is this a one size fits all fatwa? Any conditions or exceptions?

Comment

It is not haram. It's not a religious festivity. Celebrating your birthday, your wedding or any other occassion not tied to anything religious is not prohibited, even though the respected males of IslamQA (who also made it clear eating mermaids is halal) claims it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Magic. View Post
                    Islamqa says differently. Saying it's bid'ah because not Shar'iah and imitating kuffar.

But we follow a lot of culture, like football too. it doesn't mean you're adding anything to religion or taking anything away from it.

I suppose you could say it's pointless.

But to say it's outright haraam, I'm not so sure.
                    Assalamualaikum..
                    Bismillah,
                    I think it is how you celebrate your birthday.. If it is a glamorous birthday party I am sure it is haram..
                    Some people in my country celebrate their party with poor kids.. And help them out.. :) , Ask their dua, etc..

:)

Comment

Working...
                    X