I don't think celebrating your own b'day is haram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think celebrating your own b'day is haram

Islamqa says differently. Saying it's bid'ah because not Shar'iah and imitating kuffar.

But we follow a lot of culture, like football too. it doesn't mean you're adding anything to religion or taking anything away from it.

I suppose you could say it's pointless.

But to say it's outright haraam, I'm not so sure.
    “And whatever you have of favor - it is from Allah. Then when adversity touches you, to Him you cry for help”

[an-Nahl 16:53].

Re: I don't think celebrating your own b'day is haram

Why would you celebrate that you're another year closer to death?

Comment

:salams

Imam qurtubi says that the angels call out in the morning and says
      "O men of forty (40) take provision, do good deeds before its too late" yet again when a person reaches a age of 50, the angels call out and say
      "O men of fifty (50) your time is coming to an End, your life is coming to an end repent before its too late
      "Yet again when a person reaches the age of sixty (60) the angel call out" O Men of 60 have you forgotten the punishment of Allah, have to forgotten the Almighty Allah, you forgotten that you are going to meet Almighty Allah remember! down that day there will be no helpers

What is there to be excited about, is it worth beautifying that one day? I always think of the above when I hear about birthdays.
      Through fire and water… From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth… Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side… Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time… The stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as a life age of the earth… But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done.

http://media.giphy.com/media/125pZ6JB0FVrxe/giphy.gif

Comment

I don't think it's haraam either

And you can't think you're another year closer to death because you are always closer to death, i think you should be thankful that you had that year to live

Last few birthdays, i've used as an excuse to get family together to either eat out or go out, can't go water zorbing this year :(

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would instill such a thing into the mind of a child.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
            I don't understand why anyone would instill such a thing into the mind of a child.
            Especially their first birthday! As if the child would understand at 1 year old what is happening, i was invited to a 2 year old birthday party which i didn't go because they went over the top, might as well have been a wedding with the way they went about it

Saying that, i don't know what i'll do in the future for my son when he grows up

Comment

Originally posted by *Sweety* View Post
              Especially their first birthday! As if the child would understand at 1 year old what is happening, i was invited to a 2 year old birthday party which i didn't go because they went over the top, might as well have been a wedding with the way they went about it

Saying that, i don't know what i'll do in the future for my son when he grows up
              loool my bhaijaans did this, except the baby was 6 months old. I was thinking. Ya rabbi... the baby wants peace, it's at 6 months leave it alone!
              Some people just go way to OTT
              Through fire and water… From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth… Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side… Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time… The stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as a life age of the earth… But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedon! View Post
                loool my bhaijaans did this, except the baby was 6 months old. I was thinking. Ya rabbi... the baby wants peace, it's at 6 months leave it alone!
                Some people just go way to OTT
                Ah i know what that was, it's the first rice thing, i forgot what it's called, it's bengali culture
                I feel sorry for the kids, most of the time they are just crying

Comment

It's especially sad to see some children (probably most) feel they are missing out if they don't have a birthday party.

Comment

Better safe than sorry.

Comment

no one cares what you think

there was a thread like this before

as far as i am aware we muslims have only 2 annual (meaning it reoccurs every year) celebrations and none of them include birthdays.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                      بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                      The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                      -------------------------------------------------------
                      www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

I don't think it's haram either

Comment

we need fewer excuses to waste our time on frivolous luxuries, not more.

Comment

Originally posted by Foodadad View Post
                            we need fewer excuses to waste our time on frivolous luxuries, not more.
                            frivolous, liking the use of terminology.

Comment

Originally posted by TurningTables View Post
                              Better safe than sorry.
                              if in doubt don't do it.
                              “And whatever you have of favor - it is from Allah. Then when adversity touches you, to Him you cry for help”

[an-Nahl 16:53].

Comment

Working...
                              X