Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islam and marriage of underage girls

is it really permissible I read this:
    Such determination of sexual maturity is a matter of subjective judgment, and there is a strong belief among most Muslims and scholars, based on Sharia, that marrying a girl less than 13 years old is an acceptable practice for Muslims
    and this:

Therefore, making mention of the waiting-period for the girls who have not yet menstruated, clearly proves that it is not only permissible to give away the girl in marriage at this age but it is also permissible for the husband to consummate marriage with her.

Re: islam and marriage of underage girls

If she has hit puberty she can get married

Comment

Originally posted by aries View Post
      is it really permissible I read this:
      Such determination of sexual maturity is a matter of subjective judgment, and there is a strong belief among most Muslims and scholars, based on Sharia, that marrying a girl less than 13 years old is an acceptable practice for Muslims
      and this:

Therefore, making mention of the waiting-period for the girls who have not yet menstruated, clearly proves that it is not only permissible to give away the girl in marriage at this age but it is also permissible for the husband to consummate marriage with her.
      if the girl hasn't reached puberty he cannot consummate the marriage
      "Why Do We Fill Our Hearts With Everything But Allah And Expect Not To Fall Apart"

Comment

but isn't a girl supposed to give consent and be physically and mentally mature as well?

Comment

but isn't a girl supposed to give consent and be physically and mentally mature as well?
          Consent and puberty....some people reach 40 and not mentally mature so let us leave this mentally mature subject...
          Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

I never understood why a woman being allowed to marry young means she is not giving consent or is being taken advantage of in some way. If a woman does not feel she is ready at 13 Islam does not force her to get married. Just because it's permissible doesn't mean as soon as a woman hits puberty she has to get married the next day, but if that's her choice why is that my business?

Comment

do you honest think that a 13 year old is emotionally ready for marriage? They are still growing and teen pregnancy has negative effects

Comment

No, I don't think 13 is a good age to get married. They are still children. Let them have a childhood.

Comment

do you honest think that a 13 year old is emotionally ready for marriage? They are still growing and teen pregnancy has negative effects
                  Do I think most American women are ready for marriage at 13? No. That does not change the fact that today, in 2015, in America, a woman can legally get married at the age of 14 in certain states, 16 in many others and that is maybe one year older than we are discussing. In America a woman at 13 is still a child, which is I have no problem abiding by the law of the land and marrying at 14 or 16 or 18 because I find the law to be fit for this land. Islam does not stop a specific time or place from changing the minimum age. For example, I think it is very reasonable woman must be 16 to be married, and any lower than this in that specific state I disagree with. I do not believe Islam has a problem with this. Islam simply says that all things being equal it is theoretically possible for a woman to be married at 13.

In America 13 is a child because she is in middle school and has no responsibility. There are places in the world even today where men and women don't go to school. That is a luxuary they can't afford. They simply work to stay alive and split the responsibilities. Often times out of necessity from the age of 6 or 7 are helping to cook and help around with chores because that is simply life for them. A woman in that situation may not be seen as a child at 13. She has never really had a childhood and never will because everyone's help is needed in the family.

The issue with this question as well as many others in Islam is you look at the from only one perspective and you assume it's something that is applicable to everyone. The fact is waiting until 18 to get married for a woman in the situation I just mentioned is not reasonable

Comment

I think we should not put a specific age permission. It is not based on age. It is based on maturity and puberty. We all know how girls can reach puberty at different ages, the same applies to maturity. And another thing we have to keep in mind is that humanity has changed comparing these days to the days of the prophet . So a girl by the age of 13 then could be the same in levels of maturity a puberty as a girl who is 20 now.

Comment

Originally posted by ielfakih View Post
                      I think we should not put a specific age permission. It is not based on age. It is based on maturity and puberty. We all know how girls can reach puberty at different ages, the same applies to maturity. And another thing we have to keep in mind is that humanity has changed comparing these days to the days of the prophet . So a girl by the age of 13 then could be the same in levels of maturity a puberty as a girl who is 20 now.
                      Yes, exactly. I agree with everything you said so I'm not sure if we are misunderstanding each other. Islam has to say that a woman can get married once she hits puberty and this is for a couple reasons. First, this prevents cultures from marrying or having relation with girls that have not yet hit puberty. Secondly, it is theoretically possible for a woman to get married at that age depending on the place and time. I think we agree in 2015 America it shouldn't really happen, but that does not change that fact that there are villages living in similar ways to how they did all those years ago. Additionally it is possible for anything to happen in a future that would create a need for this again, such as a World War 3. Islam is a religion for all of mankind in all instances in all times and this ruling on the marriage of women helps prove that. Islam simply provides you with guidelines to live your life, it doesn't force 13 year old girls to get married

Comment

^Obviously I don't agree with the bit that says we shouldn't talk about age and I explained why

Comment

back in the days they were. now even some 40 years old are not mature enough
                          Ya Allah,
                          Make me a stronger person today. Make me a better person out of all these. It is no longer bearable for me for my heart is aching and You are the only One who knows how I feel. Nothing is making sense to myself and for anyone else for that matter especially to the one person I wish to understand me better than anybody else.
                          "Don't use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you how to speak

Comment

but it troubles like how askimam still agrees with the practice today

Comment

i hear 13 year olds who are sexually active so I am sure they can marry and grow with their spouse...
                              Women lost their modesty when men lost their gheerah..” .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X