Ruling on smoking Shisha/Hookah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruling on smoking Shisha/Hookah?

I always thought it was haram and that's what most have told me however someone told me it was considered makrooh

so i wasn't 100% sure,

Re: Ruling on smoking Shisha/Hookah?

there is an old hanafi opinion going back to the time before it was known to cause cancer and kill you that smoking was only makrooh because of the bad smell. Some people thinking shisha was harmless applied this ruling.

However scientific evidence has now shown smoking shisha is just as harmful as cigarettes, it is haram.
    FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Outreach4Islam View Post
      there is an old hanafi opinion going back to the time before it was known to cause cancer and kill you that smoking was only makrooh because of the bad smell. Some people thinking shisha was harmless applied this ruling.

However scientific evidence has now shown smoking shisha is just as harmful as cigarettes, it is haram.
      So taking it in large doses or small doses makes no difference, it's haram period?

i wasn't sure when it came to smoking and shisha, as it's not 'intoxicating'.

Comment

Eating too much food harms the body, should we also make food haram?

I have seen relatives in my home country who are at the ripe old age of 70 yet they still smoke, I would not go as far as to treat it the same as Khamr, but rather Makrooh seems to be the safest opinion.
        [I]They endured outward oppression for their faith, we endure a inward oppression, a constant battle for balance of Al Iman, in a fleeting age rife with darkness.[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Bindipper View Post
          So taking it in large doses or small doses makes no difference, it's haram period?

i wasn't sure when it came to smoking and shisha, as it's not 'intoxicating'.
          Originally posted by Nuh ibn Ismail View Post
          Eating too much food harms the body, should we also make food haram?

I have seen relatives in my home country who are at the ripe old age of 70 yet they still smoke, I would not go as far as to treat it the same as Khamr, but rather Makrooh seems to be the safest opinion.
          Scholars don't make rulings based upon what happens to a few individuals but on the over all evidence. Yes you can smoke and live to a hundred, but in general it is harmful and will harm your body and whatever poisons is also haram, it is not just intoxicants which is haram but poisons also.
          FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Scholars don't make rulings based upon what happens to a few individuals but on the over all evidence. Yes you can smoke and live to a hundred, but in general it is harmful and will harm your body and whatever poisons is also haram, it is not just intoxicants which is haram but poisons also.

Nuh ibn Ismail is right on this one. Although it is generally seen as harmful, there are a lot of people who live long lives without cigarettes effecting them. Therefore there is no correlation. Remember, causation does not mean correlation.
            Even so, he gave a good example with the food. If one were to eat a lot of grease, what does it do? Well not only is it said to be harmful but it can lead one's heart to clog and thus suffer from a heart attack or a variety of other diseases. However, this is not a definitive thing. Meaning just because you smoke cigarettes, it does not mean that it will harm you. Every one is different.

What the Scholars of Islam have said is that It is Makrooh. The only time that it becomes Haram is if it becomes certain to you that it is harming you, then in this case, It is Haram because it is Haram to harm one's self.

Comment

Originally posted by AICPmuslim View Post
              Nuh ibn Ismail is right on this one. Although it is generally seen as harmful, there are a lot of people who live long lives without cigarettes effecting them. Therefore there is no correlation. Remember, causation does not mean correlation.
              Even so, he gave a good example with the food. If one were to eat a lot of grease, what does it do? Well not only is it said to be harmful but it can lead one's heart to clog and thus suffer from a heart attack or a variety of other diseases. However, this is not a definitive thing. Meaning just because you smoke cigarettes, it does not mean that it will harm you. Every one is different.

What the Scholars of Islam have said is that It is Makrooh. The only time that it becomes Haram is if it becomes certain to you that it is harming you, then in this case, It is Haram because it is Haram to harm one's self.
              tell me which scholar, giving a fatwah after the harms have become clear in the last 50 years or so has given this fatwah?

Comment

you can't compare shisha and cigarettes with eating to much food; chech Quran [7:31]
                the damage caused by them is well-known: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah#Health_effects (it has a WHO report in pdf)
                check Quran [2:195].
                there is also addiction.
                and it wastes money , http://sunnah.com/bukhari/81/62
                and in the Hadith http://sunnah.com/muslim/5/90 if this is for onion and garlic and the like (vegetable that have other benefits), so how about the smell of smoke that offends most people.

Comment

Originally posted by AICPmuslim View Post

This has nothing to do with how much you eat/consume. The ruling about cigarettes and sheesha does not state that it is an intoxicant, therefore any argument about the amount is irrelevant. I'm not sure where you're going with the grease argument; I don't think eating grease is encouraged in Islam.

The second issue is more of a scientific one. First of all, NO ONE said everyone that smokes cigarettes will live a short life. Secondly, the science behind cigarettes seems to go against what you are saying. Are you a scientist by chance? The science says that cigarettes harm your body in one form or another, Just because you are not aware of the harm, just because you don't see your lungs turn black, does not mean it doesn't have negative consequences on your health. That coupled with the fact that there is 0 benefit to cigarettes and it is something you waste your money on, I too would love to hear a fatwa stating it is makroh AFTER the scientific facts have been presented.

Comment

Originally posted by newmuslimguy View Post
                    This has nothing to do with how much you eat/consume. The ruling about cigarettes and sheesha does not state that it is an intoxicant, therefore any argument about the amount is irrelevant. I'm not sure where you're going with the grease argument; I don't think eating grease is encouraged in Islam.

The second issue is more of a scientific one. First of all, NO ONE said everyone that smokes cigarettes will live a short life. Secondly, the science behind cigarettes seems to go against what you are saying. Are you a scientist by chance? The science says that cigarettes harm your body in one form or another, Just because you are not aware of the harm, just because you don't see your lungs turn black, does not mean it doesn't have negative consequences on your health. That coupled with the fact that there is 0 benefit to cigarettes and it is something you waste your money on, I too would love to hear a fatwa stating it is makroh AFTER the scientific facts have been presented.
                    Don't forget about second-hand smoke and its affect on people who don't smoke themselves.

Also, there is the damage to children caused by the toxins in smoke (i.e. Mothers or Fathers who smoked before or during pregnancy).

I don't know how anyone can sit around and says its not haram, in the face of such overwhelming evidence. Anyone who doesn't think smoking cigs/hookahs is haram then they must consider the ingestion of poison makrooh as well.
                    I am surprised at the man who searches for his lost item, while he has lost his own soul and does not search for it.

Comment

Let not your own hands throw you into destruction.

There are a few videos on YouTube explaining why it's haram. No good can come out of inhaling the smoke of a burning plant into your pink lungs. I'm an ex-smoker (cigarettes), Alhamdulillah I quit 7-8 months ago. Shisha also contains tobacco. We see a lot of muslims smoking shisha often so psychologically we avoid criticially thinking if it is permissible or not.

I wouldn't think it's as haram as intoxicants but I'm pretty sure it's haram.

Allah knows best.

Comment

How do you know its not just the scholars opinion. Show me some hadeeth or verse from the Quran which days its haram.

Comment

Originally posted by Musicisme656 View Post
                          How do you know its not just the scholars opinion. Show me some hadeeth or verse from the Quran which days its haram.
                          Quran[7:157] Quran[5:4]
                          if you understand Arabic, tell me whether cigarettes and shisha are طيبات or خبائث .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X