Being a scientist by profession...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a scientist by profession...

I am sometimes asked how I distinguish between the distinct fields of religion and science. Really the answer boils down to this.

Religion possesses only ultimate truths yet discourages questions.
    Sciences possesses no ultimate truths yet exists only because of questions.

If religion (and I mean all religions - not just Islam) wants to delve into investigation of physical world in all of its unyielding complexity, it must be subjected to the same rigorous questioning that is part and parcel of the scientific method. This does not make religion a victim of unfair scrutiny. It only makes it accountable.

Re: Being a scientist by profession...

Religion possesses only ultimate truths yet discourages questions. Sciences possesses no ultimate truths yet exists only because of questions.
    WITH Islam feel free to ask questions. As long as they aren't loaded or beyond our scope of understanding God willing there should be an answer.

With science you can ask questions as long as they are within the frameworks of existing ideas.
    If you question certain theories you can say goodbye to your career or reputation.

What was your question?

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Martel View Post
      I am sometimes asked how I distinguish between the distinct fields of religion and science. Really the answer boils down to this.

Religion possesses only ultimate truths yet discourages questions.
      Sciences possesses no ultimate truths yet exists only because of questions.

If religion (and I mean all religions - not just Islam) wants to delve into investigation of physical world in all of its unyielding complexity, it must be subjected to the same rigorous questioning that is part and parcel of the scientific method. This does not make religion a victim of unfair scrutiny. It only makes it accountable.
      Islam encourages questioning so what you said don't apply to Islam!

Comment

i'm totally agree with OP.

even the early scholars of Islam within its first centuries learned atom theory, geology, physics, and astronomy. a well-known hadith scholar Ibn Hibban was also studying geology, philosophy, and healing. imam jafar as sadiq, the teacher of imam malik and imam abu hanifah, knew all the sciences of his time, and scientist jabir ibn hayyan, often refered as the father of chemistry in islamic world --- was his companion.

and let's not forget ghazali, who defended the religion and God through logic and philosophy -- that Christian theologians such as Aquinas used his methodology to defend Christianity during Renaissance.

i think it's rare now to see islamic scholars who also studied natural science. ironically we have people who demean 'aql (intellectual questioning) to defend their sectarianism. but if you read Qur'an, Islam is not like this.
        :GB_bonesrock:
        And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X