Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some clear evidence whether women are allowed out of the home alone or not

Assalamu alaykum

I am a new member here so I apologise in advance if this has already been discussed. I did do a brief search in this section but did not find anything.

So for anyone that can help, what is the ruling on women going out of the house alone? There are ahadith, and fatawa from scholars specifically on women going to the mosque and women traveling alone to far away destinations, but i don't seem to have come across any ruling on women leaving the home but staying within the city.

I am not asking for fatawa from contemporary scholars in which they address women going out to work out of "necessity". I am looking for an answer as to whether women are allowed to travel within their city alone. Ofcourse providing she is covered and is not going out to do anything haram!

I have kept this post simple and brief but I have a lot of questions surrounding this topic! So please bear with me if I respond to any posts with more questions. I just did not want to complicate and lengthen the first post.

Jazak Allah khair

Re: Some clear evidence whether women are allowed out of the home alone or not

http://islamqa.info/en/6742
    "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Assalamu alaykum

Thank you for the link. So the answerer has deduced that it is permissible if the route is safe, there is a good enough reason and it is not excessive.

How do we judge how safe a route is? We hear about all sorts of things happening to people inside their homes let alone outside.

Secondly, men have specifically been told not to stop their wives if they wish to go to the mosque? Have any reasons been given for this? Would this apply to all other places a wife wishes to go to which are not necessary but fulfil the conditions deduced by the answerer?

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post
        ^ :up:

This should be enough. People interpret as to mean women should stay prisoners in their home, but it is not like that at all. The point is so that women are not going out "just to go out" as in, going to the mall when no shopping is needed or "hanging out" for the sake of it especially at night.

There is nothing wrong with having fun. This could be done in a friend's home though. As for hiking and other outdoor activities, can that be considered essential necessities? I'm wondering that myself.

I'm also thinking about the overall idea of staying in the home. (I don't mean to sound all feminist/gender equality, but) Can't this also be said for men? In that it's best to stay home (besides work of course) to spend more time worshipping Allah and less on wasting time? i.e. going to the movies

I know this command is for the women and their protection, may Allah make it easy on us to follow it and reward us for doing so, but men can also benefit from this in using this advice to get closer to Allah. I think this can be another reason for the command. Am I wrong in thinking this? Are women more inclined to waste time outside the home?

I am asking for a better understanding, not to determine if I should follow it or not, may Allah protect us from that. I just want to be able to follow this command and know that it is for my betterment and not doing it merely because I have to. (I actually don't have a problem with it, I just am curious as to where the line is drawn.)

Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: my maternal aunt got divorced and wanted to go and pick some fruit from her trees. A man told her off for going out, so she went to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he said, “Never mind, go and pick the fruit from your trees. Maybe you will be able to give it in charity or do something good with it.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1483)
        This hadith tells us that as long as it is something of benefit and not willy nilly.

^Can this be said about outdoor activities? Is the guise of healthy activity too much of a stretch when we know we are doing it for fun? As long as men don't see us of course!
        If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
        (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Originally posted by Anon. View Post
          Assalamu alaykum

Thank you for the link. So the answerer has deduced that it is permissible if the route is safe, there is a good enough reason and it is not excessive.

How do we judge how safe a route is? We hear about all sorts of things happening to people inside their homes let alone outside.

Secondly, men have specifically been told not to stop their wives if they wish to go to the mosque? Have any reasons been given for this? Would this apply to all other places a wife wishes to go to which are not necessary but fulfil the conditions deduced by the answerer?
          I'm giving my opinion on this so please don't take as a ruling.

It's not only a matter of a safe route. It's also of men being a fitna for us and vise versa. In kufr societies, we cannot avoid being around non-mahram.

As for the masjid, it is immensely beneficial for a Muslim to go. I say this for myself as I have greater khusho' in the masjid than in my own home.It's a little freedom that goes a long way by the mercy of Allah. As long as the masjid isn't one of fitna, which sometimes happen.

I am also wondering on your last part.
          If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
          (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Assalamu alaykum

ere in my country (Surinam, South America), the Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa‘ah forbid women to go to the mosque, saying that the first Imaam (Imaam Abu Haneefah) learned to do what pleases the Holy Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him), and he had said once that it is better for the women to perform prayer at home, because there is more sawaab (reward) in that, and as we come here to earn sawaab, it is better to do this.

Is it right to forbid women to go to the mosque? If so, where in the Holy Qur’aan or the ahaadeeth can I find this?
            Praise be to Allah.

There is no doubt that a woman’s prayer in her house is better for her than praying in the mosque, as is indicated by the Sunnah of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him). He said: "Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque, even though their houses are better for them." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid: Baab al-tashdeed fee dhaalik. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7458).

Whenever a woman prays in a place that is more private and more hidden, that is better for her, as the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: "A woman’s prayer in her house is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her bedroom is better than her prayer in her house." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 3833).

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy)).

But the fact that praying at home is preferable does not mean that that women are not permitted to go to the mosque, as is clear from the following hadeeth:
            From ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace be upon him) say: ‘Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.’" Bilaal ibn ‘Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn ‘Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, and you say ‘By Allaah, we will prevent them’!!" (reported by Muslim, 667).

But there are conditions attached to the permission for women to go to the mosque, as follows:
            (1) She should wear complete hijaab.
            (2) She should not go out wearing perfume.
            (3) She should have the permission of her husband.

Her going out should not involve any other kind of prohibited acts, such as being alone in a car with a non-mahram driver. If a woman does something wrong like that, her husband or guardian has the right to stop her; in fact it is his duty to do so. And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
            Allah is towards you as you are towards Him and His servants."
            [Imam Ibn al Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah RahimahuAllah]

Comment

I wasn't able to edit my post above..don't know why.but he above is a fatwa from islam-qa regarding women going to the mosque
              Allah is towards you as you are towards Him and His servants."
              [Imam Ibn al Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah RahimahuAllah]

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post
                ^ :up:

This should be enough. People interpret as to mean women should stay prisoners in their home, but it is not like that at all. The point is so that women are not going out "just to go out" as in, going to the mall when no shopping is needed or "hanging out" for the sake of it especially at night.

There is nothing wrong with having fun. This could be done in a friend's home though.
                This is where I am stuck! I can't seem to find any clear cut ruling/evidence/teaching about this. It is always an opinion or deduction of whoever is interpreting the ahadith or other narrations. I do go to islamqa.info a lot myself as most of their answers and explanations are comprehensive and reasonable. But I can't always help reading with a little skepticism especially where their deductions are unclear or just lead to more confusion. Again, what exactly is a "safe route"???

I don't mean to bang on about something which to some may seem common sense just because they live in a part of a world where women going out is completely normal and considerably "safe". This question is coming from a British born female who covers and grew up fairly independent and never gave 'going out of the house alone' a second thought when she went to school/university or a shopping trip.
                To others however this is not just common sense. And I am trying to search for answers.

Comment

As for the masjid, it is immensely beneficial for a Muslim to go. I say this for myself as I have greater khusho' in the masjid than in my own home.It's a little freedom that goes a long way by the mercy of Allah. As long as the masjid isn't one of fitna, which sometimes happen.
                  I agree.

Thank you for the fatwa muslimainblack.
                  Last edited by Anon.; 11-01-15, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I'm also thinking about the overall idea of staying in the home. (I don't mean to sound all feminist/gender equality, but) Can't this also be said for men? In that it's best to stay home (besides work of course) to spend more time worshipping Allah and less on wasting time? i.e. going to the movies
                    For me living in the U.S. where fitnah is prevalent, I don't really go outside either unless for work and going to the store for necessities. There is no double standard in our house. The Prophet said during times of fitnah that it's better to stay within the home.
                    "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

This is where I am stuck! I can't seem to find any clear cut ruling/evidence/teaching about this. It is always an opinion or deduction of whoever is interpreting the ahadith or other narrations. I do go to islamqa.info a lot myself as most of their answers and explanations are comprehensive and reasonable. But I can't always help reading with a little skepticism especially where their deductions are unclear or just lead to more confusion. Again, what exactly is a "safe route"???

I don't mean to bang on about something which to some may seem common sense just because they live in a part of a world where women going out is completely normal and considerably "safe". This question is coming from a British born female who covers and grew up fairly independent and never gave 'going out of the house alone' a second thought when she went to school/university or a shopping trip.
                      To others however this is not just common sense. And I am trying to search for answers.
                      I'm gonna just give my opinion on this matter May Allah allow it to be beneficial and forgive me if it causes harm.

Generally when something is unclear, it is because Allah wants to make it easy on us and elbow room. As long as our intentions are pure and we are following to our best understanding instead of desires, than we should do what we think is best.

I personally don't think a woman should travel alone if by walking or public transportation but a car is better if she is to travel alone. University itself is also dangerous for a lone sister. Do with what you feel comfortable with and make sure you are doing the best you can, that you are not saying it's okay just so you can follow your desires.

May Allah forgive me if I've said anything wrong.
                      (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

I'm gonna just give my opinion on this matter May Allah allow it to be beneficial and forgive me if it causes harm.

Generally when something is unclear, it is because Allah wants to make it easy on us and elbow room. As long as our intentions are pure and we are following to our best understanding instead of desires, than we should do what we think is best.

I personally don't think a woman should travel alone if by walking or public transportation but a car is better if she is to travel alone. University itself is also dangerous for a lone sister. Do with what you feel comfortable with and make sure you are doing the best you can, that you are not saying it's okay just so you can follow your desires.

May Allah forgive me if I've said anything wrong.
                        Well said.

It is rather frustrating that no one is really sure. The decision to post this on a popular islamic forum was to hopefully hear from other women from around the world who do or do not go out of the house alone and why.
                        This research was initiated because of frustration, and I wonder if I'd have received a very different response if I had posted in the "islamic lifestyle and social issues" section or the anonymous counselling section with the title "I have not been allowed out of the house in 2.5 years of my marriage except Friday evening grocery shopping and I think I am getting depressed!". I'm pretty sure there would have been some husband bashing, a lot of sisters saying "no way I wouldn't take that" and a lot of brothers (married and not married) saying "Oh i'd never do that to my wife!". Yet we have no idea why.

Anyway, thank you for your replies.

Comment

Well said.

It is rather frustrating that no one is really sure. The decision to post this on a popular islamic forum was to hopefully hear from other women from around the world who do or do not go out of the house alone and why.
                          This research was initiated because of frustration, and I wonder if I'd have received a very different response if I had posted in the "islamic lifestyle and social issues" section or the anonymous counselling section with the title "I have not been allowed out of the house in 2.5 years of my marriage except Friday evening grocery shopping and I think I am getting depressed!". I'm pretty sure there would have been some husband bashing, a lot of sisters saying "no way I wouldn't take that" and a lot of brothers (married and not married) saying "Oh i'd never do that to my wife!". Yet we have no idea why.

Anyway, thank you for your replies.
                          sadly, that is true. you've given me an idea though. something like a social experiment. hehehehe.....

but part of it is because of the section you posted this in. this section is not very popular. I will post a new thread on your behalf in the Lifestyles section. we'll see what kind of replies we get. haha!

Alhamdulillah. May Allah make it clear for you and make it easy on the believers to follow His command. Ameen.
                          (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Yeah I had an idea it might not be very popular and wanted to "experiment" myself but thought it might be a bit cheeky lol.

Thing is I know someone in this situation. And I didn't want to post in any other section because husband bashing and a bit of gossip is not what she is after when she discusses this issue of hers. She actually wants to know if her husband can stop her from going out now and then because it is really affecting her. She never really went out unnecessarily before she got married and a bit of fresh air, catch-up with a friend and a change of scene is all she really wants. she has a 1 year old son now and I can see she is starting to feel really isolated and doesn't even have the confidence to take her toddler out to mother and baby play groups or the park even if her husband was to allow it!
                            I know she has been with her little one 24 hours a day non stop since he was born! A woman really needs an hour or two just to for herself every few days. I hear her husband makes her feel guilty and silly when she discusses this with him and he tells her to get closer to Allah and gives examples of the Prophet's (SAW) wive's. She was also looking for answers and says she wants to change and try to find peace in something other than "fresh air" IF her husband is actually correct and has a right to stop her from going out.

Any thoughts? Seems this post might not be relevant to this section anymore. But I believe it should be.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X