"It is not befitting to ask a scholar for references"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It is not befitting to ask a scholar for references"

I heard that recently, i was wondering what is the islamic basis for this?

for umar asked for references, and he was amongst the most trusted of muslims

why is it, in these days and times, 1400 years after the prophet is it considered bad manners to ask for references when someone says something?

its not like we dont have a plethora of various opinions abounding around us, it is dangerous for someone to say something and if we find it questionable, NOT to question it

for Allah has said, when you differ, refer matters back to Allah and His messenger (in other words, when a scholar says something, find daleel to support his statement)

after this france shooting, you hear all sorts of "scholarly opinions" if we dont question, how can we learn? the seeking of knowledge is incumbent upon us all, if we dont verify it, we can all become lost sheep
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Re: "It is not befitting to ask a scholar for references"

Who or where are you getting this stuff from??

Taqleed never meant as "just shut up, follow so-and-so scholar, no question asked". Otherwise what would differ us with christians and jews who "i believe because my priest says so". I'm not strictly talieb 'ilm, but whenever I come across a scholar never had they refused to tell where they're taking their words from, when being asked. That's just my personal experience. But i know too several zealots who blackmail other muslims into thinking that scholars are infallible, and questioning them makes you like you're Abu Jahal or something.
    :GB_bonesrock:
    And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

We should always ask for evidences , there is Nothing wrong in doing that.

No one is having revelations , that we take it on face value.

We have right to Question scholars.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariadne View Post
        Who or where are you getting this stuff from??

Taqleed never meant as "just shut up, follow so-and-so scholar, no question asked". Otherwise what would differ us with christians and jews who "i believe because my priest says so". I'm not strictly talieb 'ilm, but whenever I come across a scholar never had they refused to tell where they're taking their words from, when being asked. That's just my personal experience. But i know too several zealots who blackmail other muslims into thinking that scholars are infallible, and questioning them makes you like you're Abu Jahal or something.
        i have seen it stated here, on this forum, so please dont act like it is some kind of anomaly
        دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

"who are we to question the knowledgeable when we are mere laymen?"

we're just useless laymen who are too stupid to do our own free thinking
          If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
          (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Originally posted by Bint Radical View Post
            "who are we to question the knowledgeable when we are mere laymen?"

we're just useless laymen who are too stupid to do our own free thinking
            Is that your opinion or are we actually not allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by The Criterion View Post
              Is that your opinion or are we actually not allowed?
              that's what the ignorant, misguided believe

not my thinking
              If Allah & his Messenger :saw: ordered us to breathe in a certain way, we would say: "سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا We hear & We obey"
              (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

that's what the ignorant, misguided believe

not my thinking
                I do think there are limits to questioning though.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you reject it. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by The Criterion View Post
                  I do think there are limits to questioning though.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you reject it. Does that make sense?
                  there are limits yes. too much questioning leads to disbelief. such are bani israel. and they are cursed for their persistence.

sadly, many do not see it that way. they believe that if they don't understand a certain ruling that they can disregard. mankind is ever more quarrelsome than anything
                  (al-Bukhaari)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                    I heard that recently, i was wondering what is the islamic basis for this?

for umar asked for references, and he was amongst the most trusted of muslims

why is it, in these days and times, 1400 years after the prophet is it considered bad manners to ask for references when someone says something?

its not like we dont have a plethora of various opinions abounding around us, it is dangerous for someone to say something and if we find it questionable, NOT to question it

for Allah has said, when you differ, refer matters back to Allah and His messenger (in other words, when a scholar says something, find daleel to support his statement)

after this france shooting, you hear all sorts of "scholarly opinions" if we dont question, how can we learn? the seeking of knowledge is incumbent upon us all, if we dont verify it, we can all become lost sheep
                    Nonsense

Allah tala tells us to ask for proof

Any real Scholar would gladly give reference to Quran and Sunnah,

Only dubious ones would tell you don't ask such questions

جزاك اللهُ خيراً‎
                    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Comment

i am waiting for some of those who adhere to that thinking to respond
                      دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

how else are you supposed to learn if you don't ask for references or evidences?

i think it applies if asked in an arrogant manner (just putting that possibility out there) and not outright just because they are scholars etc. also some people don''t understand the references so maybe that's why (this is probably not related but came to mind as ive not heard this statement before)

لا تفكر كثيرا
                        بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                        The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                        -------------------------------------------------------
                        www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

there are limits yes. too much questioning leads to disbelief. such are bani israel. and they are cursed for their persistence.

sadly, many do not see it that way. they believe that if they don't understand a certain ruling that they can disregard. mankind is ever more quarrelsome than anything
                          I 100% agree with your last sentence. A Muslim doesn't have to be 100% in understanding of each and every teaching. It seems as though if someone comes across a matter that they don't understand, then they should work towards proving it to be the truth, if they can't then everything is false by default. I think it's silly. No believer is in understanding of all matters and I'm sure in the Qur'an it is stated that everything doesn't need to be clear. Maybe someone can give the ayah, if there isn't one then I'll take that back In Sha Allah. I'm sure I've come across it though.

We are limited beings. I guess it's a test for those who think they are too wise to fail.

Sorry for derailing OP.

Comment

i have seen it stated here, on this forum, so please dont act like it is some kind of anomaly
                            Oh i see, okay. :o sowwwy

Cuz I thought it was said by some respected authority.

I also have seen double standard from some, claiming it's not necessary to follow ulema and madhab as long as you can "deduce yourself from Quran and Hadith".. They'd even said that the past ummah worship their priests... And yet if their favorite scholars are criticized, they were like "why are you questioning these scholars!! You're not more knowledgeable than them!! You should not disparaging [our] scholars!!"
                            Last edited by Ariadne; 10-01-15, 07:55 PM.
                            :GB_bonesrock:
                            And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

i am waiting for some of those who adhere to that thinking to respond
                              We need to ask for evidence .

There is NO way out of it , otherwise anyone can say anything.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X