Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

    Hello everyone. My name is Doug and I go by the name Goatboy when blogging

    First I would like to thank you and the forum for allowing me access, after specifying when registering that I am an Atheist. I have signed on as I am starting a Koran and Bible study, which I will also write about process of. I have a copy of the Koran on my Kindle, and will read at least 10% a week. As a rationalist, I have no intention of confrontation or causing offence. I have given myself the following rules.

    - I will only read and write on posts that I have started, unless I am made aware that I am being spoken about on other threads
    - I will only post on the questions page
    - I will read and reply to any private messages, though I will not initiate any dialog

    Can you please recommend any books that will supplement my study? I am looking for books similar to Sparknotes that will help me understand the meaning of the more complex parts, which may not be understood by someone new to Islam.

    Or do you have any advice at all?

    Thanks

    Doug

  • #2
    Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

    Originally posted by Goatboy42 View Post
    I am looking for books similar to Sparknotes that will help me understand the meaning of the more complex parts, which may not be understood by someone new to Islam.
    We have tafsirs for that. Ibn Kathir's is one of the most popular ones.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

      Originally posted by Sen View Post
      We have tafsirs for that. Ibn Kathir's is one of the most popular ones.

      this will give you a better understanding of the meaning behind the quranic texts.

      __________________________________________________ _____________________________



      please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

        1 should not just go studying a book of tafsir by themselves. You need a teacher to go along with it to help you understand.
        Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

        How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

        Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

          Books by David Benjamin Kheldani, studying the history and linguistic aspect of both Bible and Qur'an. Highly recommended.
          Last edited by Ariadne; 10-01-15, 04:48 PM.
          :GB_bonesrock:
          And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

            Originally posted by Ariadne View Post
            Muhammad Asad explanation on Qur'an.

            Also books by David Benjamin Kheldani, studying the history and linguistic aspect of both Bible and Qur'an. Highly recommended.
            I would stay far away from the tafsir of Muhammad Asad. He has beliefs that contradict the Ahlus Sunnah wa Jammah.
            "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

              ...
              Last edited by liya1; 05-08-15, 08:58 PM.
              The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "You must be gentle. Verily, gentleness is not in anything except that it beautifies it, and it is not removed from anything except that it disgraces it."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

                Originally posted by Musbah View Post
                I would stay far away from the tafsir of Muhammad Asad. He has beliefs that contradict the Ahlus Sunnah wa Jammah.
                Exactly , Once a verse (forgot) specified Allah as only God that induced me into a debate with a guy called jihaaad , think its A ahmadiya'S translation
                My sect - No Sect

                My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

                Just a Muslim

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

                  Originally posted by Goatboy42 View Post
                  Hello everyone. My name is Doug and I go by the name Goatboy when blogging

                  First I would like to thank you and the forum for allowing me access, after specifying when registering that I am an Atheist. I have signed on as I am starting a Koran and Bible study, which I will also write about process of. I have a copy of the Koran on my Kindle, and will read at least 10% a week. As a rationalist, I have no intention of confrontation or causing offence. I have given myself the following rules.

                  - I will only read and write on posts that I have started, unless I am made aware that I am being spoken about on other threads
                  - I will only post on the questions page
                  - I will read and reply to any private messages, though I will not initiate any dialog

                  Can you please recommend any books that will supplement my study? I am looking for books similar to Sparknotes that will help me understand the meaning of the more complex parts, which may not be understood by someone new to Islam.

                  Or do you have any advice at all?

                  Thanks

                  Doug

                  I would recommend Tafsir Ibn abbas http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?...s&LanguageID=2
                  a cousin Of our Prophet (pbuh) who was blessed by Prophet(pbuh) himself whose explanation is with the hadith (sayings of Prophet) seen in the tafseer section of Sahih Bukhari itself.

                  I and my associates feel its the best since Ibn Abbas was a Contemporary (609-687 approx) to Prophet (pbuh) as it has solved many allegations and accusations of attackers of Islam more than any tafsir I had compared :D
                  My sect - No Sect

                  My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

                  Just a Muslim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

                    Thanks for everyone's advice. It seems that I will be looking at books of modern scholars, that can help put it into modern context. Preferably on the Kindle.

                    My choice not to view other threads is that I am very likely to be sidetracked, also very likely to get opinionated. I always mean respect, but when I overshare my thoughts it can be very hard to stop others being offended.

                    Also after viewing my plans, I will study it over a course of 20 weeks instead. I will also be studying the Bible.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

                      Are there any particular areas of Islam you are looking to learn about or would be more interested in reading?
                      Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

                      How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

                      Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

                        Originally posted by Mikha’eel View Post
                        Are there any particular areas of Islam you are looking to learn about or would be more interested in reading?
                        Right now my plan is to just study the Koran, so whatever opinion I have is based on good experience. I am prone to this method.

                        EG. I am Vegan and passionate about animal rights, and for that reason I went to see bull fighting when I was on holiday in Seville. I just did not feel right having an opinion on it based on what I was told.

                        This week I will read the first two Sura's, alongside Genesis and Exodus from the Bible. I have read these sections before, I'm just being thorough

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Hello everyone, I need book recommendations, and advice. Can anyone help?

                          Originally posted by Goatboy42 View Post
                          Hello everyone. My name is Doug and I go by the name Goatboy when blogging

                          First I would like to thank you and the forum for allowing me access, after specifying when registering that I am an Atheist. I have signed on as I am starting a Koran and Bible study, which I will also write about process of. I have a copy of the Koran on my Kindle, and will read at least 10% a week. As a rationalist, I have no intention of confrontation or causing offence. I have given myself the following rules.

                          - I will only read and write on posts that I have started, unless I am made aware that I am being spoken about on other threads
                          - I will only post on the questions page
                          - I will read and reply to any private messages, though I will not initiate any dialog

                          Can you please recommend any books that will supplement my study? I am looking for books similar to Sparknotes that will help me understand the meaning of the more complex parts, which may not be understood by someone new to Islam.

                          Or do you have any advice at all?

                          Thanks

                          Doug
                          Hello Doug,

                          For the quran:
                          Just read the quran , when u have questions about a specific verse then go to islamqa if u cant find an answer then text me I will find one. Tafseer books are very wide and u need to know some stuff before going through this.

                          Then mix it up with the life of our prophet peace be upon him. There is a great book for al-sallaby just google life of prophet Mohammad peace be upon him for Sallaby

                          Hope this help.
                          Sorry I dont carry a conversation nor an argument with a sister. I just put my point of view in general for everybody and it is up to you to take it or leave it.

                          Comment

                          Collapse

                          Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                          Working...
                          X