Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are Salafis/Wahhabis/Deobandis/Barelvis/Takfiris

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh
    I recently took Shahada(Alhamdullilah), and I have been lurking on this forum and Sunniforum for a while now. I constantly see references to these groups, and while I have some idea about what these groups believe, I am still pretty confused. Before you say there is a thread about this, every thread about it seems to have devolved into intense arguments and lack clear answers, and wikipedia isn't very good at explaining these things. I would like clear, unbiased answers to these questions please.

1. What is a Salafi? What exactly do they believe?
    2. How does Salafiyyah differ from "mainstream" Sunni Islam?
    3. I have seen some argue that Salafis are kuffar. Why is this? If you think this is untrue, why?(please unbiased answers without arguments)
    4. Is Salafi synonymous with Wahhabi? If not, how do Wahhabis differ?
    5. Who are Deobandis and what do they believe? I have seen them compared to Salafis...are their beliefs similar?
    6. Who are Barelvis? What do they believe?
    6. I have sometimes seen Islamic "terrorists"(I put terrorist in quotes because that term can be controversial) referred to as "Takfiris" on Ummah and Sunniforum. Do these terrorists declare many people to be non-Muslims?

Thank you very much, I would very much appreciate if these questions could be answered without fighting or a hijacking of this thread. Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.
    وَمَا قَدَرُوا اللَّهَ حَقَّ قَدْرِهِ وَالْأَرْضُ جَمِيعًا قَبْضَتُهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَالسَّمَاوَاتُ مَطْوِيَّاتٌ بِيَمِينِهِ ۚ سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ
    They have not appraised Allah with true appraisal, while the earth entirely will be [within] His grip on the Day of Resurrection, and the heavens will be folded in His right hand. Exalted is He and high above what they associate with Him. (Az-Zumar: 67)

Re: Who are Salafis/Wahhabis/Deobandis/Barelvis/Takfiris

Originally posted by Abd al-Rahman View Post
    I recently took Shahada(Alhamdullilah), and I have been lurking on this forum and Sunniforum for a while now. I constantly see references to these groups, and while I have some idea about what these groups believe, I am still pretty confused. Before you say there is a thread about this, every thread about it seems to have devolved into intense arguments and lack clear answers, and wikipedia isn't very good at explaining these things. I would like clear, unbiased answers to these questions please.

3. I have seen some argue that Salafis are kuffar. Why is this? If you think this is untrue, why?(please unbiased answers without arguments)
    5. Who are Deobandis and what do they believe? I have seen them compared to Salafis...are their beliefs similar?
    6. I have sometimes seen Islamic "terrorists"(I put terrorist in quotes because that term can be controversial) referred to as "Takfiris" on Ummah and Sunniforum. Do these terrorists declare many people to be non-Muslims?

Thank you very much, I would very much appreciate if these questions could be answered without fighting or a hijacking of this thread. Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place.

Brother what answers you expect ? These all sects are Muslims.

In this forum as well as other forums Muslims of all sects are there .......... so discussing these things would lead to a fight , just close this thread.

Follow the Quran on which there is NO dispute.

Comment

Walikum salam wr wb brother :salams

I do not concentrate much on all these people or sects when you read the Noble Quran & hadith & see the practise of Sahabas will be enough to shows the path with the help of Allah swt. when you are really sincere & pious Allah swt guides you .is also answered in the last 10 minutes of this video by Mufti Menk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhvGaQR5HqU

So My path is I never segregated in any groups because that's against the Noble Quran itself ( verses 3:103-105; 4:165 : 23:52-55; .45:17 are a lesson) & Hadith. So try to be with all but when they deviate from the real teachings of islam you try to move away from them, hate none but be away from shirk doers and who are dangerously near to it like the Shias or Barelvis, I suppose.

Deobandis is not a sect but those who came studying from the Deoband institution are named so. But Ahle hadith have became like a different sect who actually started to remove misguidance & biddah from the Muslim ummah and at last got to extremes misguided themselves by over partisanship.

So called Salafis & wahabis (wrong term but) are too fanatic in their Takfir or declaring others kafir very easily which is a dangerous issue is the allegation but i didn't meet such a person yet. That goes against this hadith below

Bukhari :: Book 8 :: Volume 73 :: Hadith 71
      Narrated Abu Dhar: That he heard the Prophet saying, "If somebody accuses another of Fusuq (by calling him 'Fasiq' i.e. a wicked person) or accuses him of Kufr, such an accusation will revert to him (i.e. the accuser) if his companion (the accused) is innocent.
      "

Its better to be Like Mufti Menk who started in Medina and so some called him salaf or wahhabi but he studied in Deoband and now he is seen mixing with all. ''So your Sect is no sect'' and try to be ''JUST a Muslim'' as said in this verse of Noble Quran. This will mean you are in so called ahlus sunnah wal jamah but still ahle hadith claims that too but still deviated.

Noble Quran 41:33 ''Muhsin Khan
      And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites (men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I am one of the Muslims."

Tafsir is below
      http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?...0&LanguageId=2
      My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

EDIT: So called salafis or wahabis are strict against building tombs on graves etc which is a good action as per hadith but I heard they go to extremes & by calling Prophet :saw: was just like us etc. this must be avoided though Prophet :saw: was a human like us but he is blessed as THE Best Creation of Allah swt.
        My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by Bismil View Post
          Brother what answers you expect ? These all sects are Muslims.

In this forum as well as other forums Muslims of all sects are there .......... so discussing these things would lead to a fight , just close this thread.

Follow the Quran on which there is NO dispute.
          My intention is not to start a fight...If these groups are not different at all, why do people constantly refer to them as if they were distinct? I am just trying to understand what they believe, or what makes them different in any way.
          وَمَا قَدَرُوا اللَّهَ حَقَّ قَدْرِهِ وَالْأَرْضُ جَمِيعًا قَبْضَتُهُ يَوْمَ الْقِيَامَةِ وَالسَّمَاوَاتُ مَطْوِيَّاتٌ بِيَمِينِهِ ۚ سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ
          They have not appraised Allah with true appraisal, while the earth entirely will be [within] His grip on the Day of Resurrection, and the heavens will be folded in His right hand. Exalted is He and high above what they associate with Him. (Az-Zumar: 67)

Comment

Thank you very much Brother Talib! I have a better idea of them now.

Comment

Originally posted by talibilm09 View Post
              Walikum salam wr wb brother :salams

I do not concentrate much on all these people or sects when you read the Noble Quran & hadith & see the practise of Sahabas will be enough to shows the path with the help of Allah swt. when you are really sincere & pious Allah swt guides you .is also answered in the last 10 minutes of this video by Mufti Menk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhvGaQR5HqU

So My path is I never segregated in any groups because that's against the Noble Quran itself ( verses 3:103-105; 4:165 : 23:52-55; .45:17 are a lesson) & Hadith. So try to be with all but when they deviate from the real teachings of islam you try to move away from them, hate none but be away from shirk doers and who are dangerously near to it like the Shias or Barelvis, I suppose.

Deobandis is not a sect but those who came studying from the Deoband institution are named so. But Ahle hadith have became like a different sect who actually started to remove misguidance & biddah from the Muslim ummah and at last got to extremes misguided themselves by over partisanship.

So called Salafis & wahabis (wrong term but) are too fanatic in their Takfir or declaring others kafir very easily which is a dangerous issue is the allegation but i didn't meet such a person yet. That goes against this hadith below

Bukhari :: Book 8 :: Volume 73 :: Hadith 71
              Narrated Abu Dhar: That he heard the Prophet saying, "If somebody accuses another of Fusuq (by calling him 'Fasiq' i.e. a wicked person) or accuses him of Kufr, such an accusation will revert to him (i.e. the accuser) if his companion (the accused) is innocent.
              "

Its better to be Like Mufti Menk who started in Medina and so some called him salaf or wahhabi but he studied in Deoband and now he is seen mixing with all. ''So your Sect is no sect'' and try to be ''JUST a Muslim'' as said in this verse of Noble Quran. This will mean you are in so called ahlus sunnah wal jamah but still ahle hadith claims that too but still deviated.

Noble Quran 41:33 ''Muhsin Khan
              And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites (men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I am one of the Muslims."

Tafsir is below
              http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?...0&LanguageId=2

From your Post it is clear that you saying all have some problems , where as Deobandi school of thought has No issues at all. This is unfair statement.

Just as for you Barelvis are deviants and Ahle Hadeeth have extreme elements, for them Deobandis are extreme.

material against all sects is freely available on Internet . WE better concentrate on Quran and Authentic hadeeth and not get into sect issues because this is unnecessary.

Comment

My intention is not to start a fight...If these groups are not different at all, why do people constantly refer to them as if they were distinct? I am just trying to understand what they believe, or what makes them different in any way.
                I understand your point , but how will you get neutral answer ? Suppose I am Barelvi , I would try and guide you towards my sect , if I am salafi , I would say others are wrong We are right etc etc.

Every scholar has his own opinion , they will naturally be biased.

That is why I said read the Quran .

Comment

From your Post it is clear that you saying all have some problems , where as Deobandi school of thought has No issues at all. This is unfair statement.

Just as for you Barelvis are deviants and Ahle Hadeeth have extreme elements, for them Deobandis are extreme.

material against all sects is freely available on Internet . WE better concentrate on Quran and Authentic hadeeth and not get into sect issues because this is unnecessary.
                  Asalam brother,

Lol, :inlove: I did not say that brother .

The tablighi Jamat as per my knowledge is closer to Deoband and there are points which I agree with them & do not agree with them as well. So I am with them all and also not with them all . For example i sit to listen to taalim books of tablighi jamats and i also entertain sometimes their gashth of calling people towards Prayers and more than that I do not entertain Much but I do not stop others from going to it. because I feel We should not stop from people doing good, but as per knowledge & hidayah of Allah swt I always set Priority and i am trying to be in a middle Path, Allahu waalam, May My Rab guide me to the right path, ameen
                  My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

I just know most of Salafists do not believe in Tawassol !
                    Maybe I am wrong, I do not know.
                    Note: I am a shia.

Comment

Asalam brother,

Lol, :inlove: I did not say that brother .

The tablighi Jamat as per my knowledge is closer to Deoband and there are points which I agree with them & do not agree with them as well. So I am with them all and also not with them all . For example i sit to listen to taalim books of tablighi jamats and i also entertain sometimes their gashth of calling people towards Prayers and more than that I do not entertain Much but I do not stop others from going to it. because I feel We should not stop from people doing good, but as per knowledge & hidayah of Allah swt I always set Priority and i am trying to be in a middle Path, Allahu waalam, May My Rab guide me to the right path, ameen
                      I am not saying that such and such people are wrong. My point was we should be fair. This is No secret that things have been said and written against Tabligh Jamat also.

To day in one Masjid I went there was big fight. It was over Milad issue. I told the Deobandi Maulana , that if you do not agree with something , just keep that to yourself, these debates will not solve things , unnecessarily there will be fights.
                      He started speaking against Imam Ahmed Raza Khan , and told me do not call him a scholar, he has done nothing.

I told him Maulana , here you have more deobandis so you speaking against Ahmed Raza Khan , if I go to Barelvi area , they will speak against Ashraf Ali Thanvi. What purpose this serves ? Both are dead Now. Just ignore what ever they wrote wrong and move on.

I hope you get my point. There are so many sects and factions in Muslims these days , its so difficult to know who is partially right. On Top each other are calling others Kafirs , its unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by ALAS View Post
                        I just know most of Salafists do not believe in Tawassol !
                        Maybe I am wrong, I do not know.

No they do Not.

Comment

I am not saying that such and such people are wrong. My point was we should be fair. This is No secret that things have been said and written against Tabligh Jamat also.

To day in one Masjid I went there was big fight. It was over Milad issue. I told the Deobandi Maulana , that if you do not agree with something , just keep that to yourself, these debates will not solve things , unnecessarily there will be fights.
                          He started speaking against Imam Ahmed Raza Khan , and told me do not call him a scholar, he has done nothing.

I told him Maulana , here you have more deobandis so you speaking against Ahmed Raza Khan , if I go to Barelvi area , they will speak against Ashraf Ali Thanvi. What purpose this serves ? Both are dead Now. Just ignore what ever they wrote wrong and move on.

I hope you get my point. There are so many sects and factions in Muslims these days , its so difficult to know who is partially right. On Top each other are calling others Kafirs , its unbelievable.
                          So its sure some one is a kaffir there, naudhubillah, So people must avoid such arguments which will make them to degrade themselves to that level Which I am always worried about and which was already Prophesied by Prophet :saw: That only proves their Knowledge has been taken away .
                          My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

EDIT : So its sure some one is a kaffir there, naudhubillah,(as per Hadith not my opinion )
                            My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

So its sure some one is a kaffir there, naudhubillah, So people must avoid such arguments which will make them to degrade themselves to that level Which I am always worried about and which was already Prophesied by Prophet :saw: That only proves their Knowledge has been taken away .
                              Brother this sects division is like a curse. How bad the situation has become is really unbelievable. People ready to beat each other for minor issues .

One deobandi Moulvi lead the Janazza salah for one deceased in barelvi village. ( The barelvi Moulvi was not available ) . When he returned and found that out , he complained to a Barelvi Mufti. The Mufti declared all the people who prayed behind Deobandi Moulvi , should again say shahadah , and again get married to there wives.

Such has become the hatred. How can someone who is saying shahadah and praying in direction of Qibla be declared as Non Muslim ? Mark my words , until and Unless Muslims rise above these sects , the Non Mulims will continue to dominate and enslave them. They fighting over issues that happened decades ago. Things are getting really ugly at lower levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X