• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AbdullahiG
    replied
    Re: Where Does Your Proof Come From?

hi Cherry!

We can read quran and hadiths just to get a basic admonition, but proofs for opinions lies in context, correct understanding of quranic texts and hadiths which us laymen do not have, thus the rulings and proofs only come from scholars

Leave a comment:

• CherryAnn5
    replied

Originally posted by علي View Post
    Those are basically correct, save the third one is not necessarily any one scholar, but more the consensus of Muslim scholars. And this one needs proof as well, which is in the Qur'aan:

And whoever opposes the Messenger after guidance has become clear to him and follows other than the way of the believers - We will give him what he has taken and drive him into Hell, and evil it is as a destination.

That bolded part is used as evidence that the consensus of this Ummah's (nation's) scholars is to be followed along with Qur'aan and Hadith.

As to how many ahadith there are, well they are thousands, but the authentic ones do not exceed around 30,000 or less and they generally come from very well known sources. There isn't a database of all these sources put together in one single place, but there are Qur'aan and Hadith websites. It's worth noting that there are differences of opinions between scholars on many points depending on their methods of deriving rulings. The way to go as a Muslim is to find a scholar you trust and take from their knowledge. If one happens to hear something more convincing from another source they trust, they can go with what makes more sense to them. Or if they have doubts on a particular point their trusted scholar made, they can do further research on the matter, but to gather all the differing opinions on all matters just for the sake of it, that is definitely discouraged.
    Thank you for your response, you cleared up a few questions I had.

Leave a comment:

• علي
    replied

Originally posted by CherryAnn5 View Post
    I notice that when people here are talking or debating they use proof to support thier opinions. I'm trying to figure out where the proof comes from. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to read.

Ok, I know some proof is coming from the Quran... and that is the words of God/Allah?

Then there is hadeeth (I can't spell that one).... ok how many of those are there and where did those come from?

Ok then it seems like there are "rulings" or "scholar opinions"... ok where do these come from?

If you have links to maybe a database or list that would be great! Thank you so much!
    Those are basically correct, save the third one is not necessarily any one scholar, but more the consensus of Muslim scholars. And this one needs proof as well, which is in the Qur'aan:

And whoever opposes the Messenger after guidance has become clear to him and follows other than the way of the believers - We will give him what he has taken and drive him into Hell, and evil it is as a destination.

That bolded part is used as evidence that the consensus of this Ummah's (nation's) scholars is to be followed along with Qur'aan and Hadith.

As to how many ahadith there are, well they are thousands, but the authentic ones do not exceed around 30,000 or less and they generally come from very well known sources. There isn't a database of all these sources put together in one single place, but there are Qur'aan and Hadith websites. It's worth noting that there are differences of opinions between scholars on many points depending on their methods of deriving rulings. The way to go as a Muslim is to find a scholar you trust and take from their knowledge. If one happens to hear something more convincing from another source they trust, they can go with what makes more sense to them. Or if they have doubts on a particular point their trusted scholar made, they can do further research on the matter, but to gather all the differing opinions on all matters just for the sake of it, that is definitely discouraged.

Leave a comment:

• patient believer
    replied

Thank you for the link! The website looks wonderful! I have bookmarked it.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on my own. I don't want to post a dozen questions LOL!
    do your own research but make sure the websites are reliable.
    you should ask many questions because that is the only way you will learn :) there are many good knowledgeable brothers and sisters so ask a question then they will help you. inshallah (if Allah wills)

Leave a comment:

• CherryAnn5
    replied

Originally posted by Hanasaeed View Post
    I understand that you are not a muslim but you wish to learn about Islam. well you can do research online but maybe this can help
    http://www.islam-guide.com/
    if you do your own research you have to be weary of some sources which are not very reliable sister.
    Thank you for the link! The website looks wonderful! I have bookmarked it.

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on my own. I don't want to post a dozen questions LOL!

Leave a comment:

• patient believer
    replied

I notice that when people here are talking or debating they use proof to support thier opinions. I'm trying to figure out where the proof comes from. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to read.

Ok, I know some proof is coming from the Quran... and that is the words of God/Allah?

Then there is hadeeth (I can't spell that one).... ok how many of those are there and where did those come from?

Ok then it seems like there are "rulings" or "scholar opinions"... ok where do these come from?

If you have links to maybe a database or list that would be great! Thank you so much!
    I understand that you are not a muslim but you wish to learn about Islam. well you can do research online but maybe this can help
    http://www.islam-guide.com/
    if you do your own research you have to be weary of some sources which are not very reliable sister.

Leave a comment:

• CherryAnn5
    started a topic Where Does Your Proof Come From?

Where Does Your Proof Come From?

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X