Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question about Islam and Science

Assalamualikum,

Please do not copy and paste answers from other sites to answer my questions generally. It has been done before, I know of them but I am looking for public insight with a scientific perspective. I can find and read about all the Hadith and Scholars who just talk about these aspects in a religious manner without considering the scientific aspect.http://triangulations.files.wordpres...pg?w=300&h=279
    Please notice how the initial form of an embryo across species are similar. This does not point towards evolution but the steps of conception which could imply a shared evolutionary method.

Isn't it possible that aside from the development of an embryo those verses illustrate the steps of evolution that lead from a common ancestor and Adam was the creation from clay, which was theorized by scientists that was the closest conditions of the ground at the time when the first organism was created. What if Allah created evolution? Then wouldn't science and religion be the same entity?

I haven't looked further into the Quran to decipher other verses which could illustrate other aspects of evolution since these verses are quite hard to find. I can't read Arabic and must rely on the English translations.

If you're not well versed in what evolution actually is or have no knowledge on Biology that is studied at a university/higher level. I would appreciate if you could refrain from commenting about how you can disprove evolution. I will only accept scientific evidence to disprove evolution. Evolution is a fact in the scientific community and all biological empirical studies are based around that presumption. I know, that you cannot infer causation from correlation in science but that is the premise of philosophy and reality, where we determine empirical evidence as a measure of observable evidence (i.e. the truth).

SECOND PART - Question about substances like Alcohol/Weed/Smoking (Nicotine) etc.

I am aware that these things are Haram because they alter the senses, cloud judgement, harmful for your body etc. However, I do not see a consistent nature of scientific effects on the human body. I myself have never done these substances and Insha'Allah I never plan to. I am just asking for the sake of knowledge and how that relates to science and religion.

For instance, all these different substances have different effects on the brain. For example, if we consider Alcohol to be Haram no matter the conditions. We can see that Alcohol is a neural inhibitor. It blocks NDMA receptors, since alcohol reduces glutamate's excitatory effect thus diminishing neural activity resulting in the sedative effect.
    We know that in different doses, alcohol produces, a relaxing effect, impairs concentration, reduces coordination, alters emotions, slurs speech, causes vomiting etc. It is Haram because it can cause damage to the brain especially in the frontal lobes and can cause the reduction in brain size and ventricles. In addition, it leads to alcohol dependency (addiction) and it can effect your offspring. Lead to FAS syndrome (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome)

What about other substances such as Cannabis? It is not a neural inhibitor but instead it is an enhancer. THC binds with cannabinoid receptors and ultimately effects our dopaminergic system which releases domapine in our brain and is linked to the reward pathway. In low doses, it causes relaxation, reduces blood pressure, stress, anxiety etc. How can it be Haram in low doses?
    I understand that it becomes Haram in high doses because it causes hallucinations and delusions. What about medical marijuana? The prescribed medication by doctors who ask you to smoke it? Does it still become Haram then? If not, for the sake of your health which I presume most of you will answer. Why are we not allowed to smoke it causally?

Just like any other substance, abusing it will cause an addition and ultimately the dependency which then becomes Haram. There are some immediate effects that alter the sense which is questionable in Islam because so does Ibuprofen (Advil) which is an anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which reduces hormones that cause pain. Wouldn't that be considered haram as well? What about Nicotine (Cigarettes)? Nicotine causes increased blood pressure and heart rate, faster respiration, constriction of arteries and the simulation of the central nervous system. It is a slow poison which does and eventually kill you.

Why isn't smoking considered Haram since it does almost the same things as Cannabis or other similar drugs but it takes longer to do so. It still effects the dopaminergic system which results in addictive properties and when people try to quit smoking they experience withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, depression, headaches, fatigue. Smoking also is correlated highly with lung cancer and other medical problems.

Ultimately, my question is, why are some drugs not Haram in Islam and others are. Who decides which drugs are Haram and how do they determine them? If in the eyes of God committing suicide is Haram, then by each cigarette you smoke, you are slowly committing suicide. Why isn't that Haram? If low doses/high doses make no difference in considering a substance Haram, why aren't they?

I'm not trying to pick out the faults of Islam but I am trying to wrap my head around this particular topic where it seems like a grey area. Wouldn't ideally defining what is Haram and not Haram be to the individual since everyone would have a different opinion? Smoking scholars would say it is not Haram where as non-smoking scholars would say it is. Thus wouldn't it be more of a social stigma rather than because of a religious reason?

Please pardon any grammatical/punctual errors as I have not proof-read what I wrote. Please leave your opinions and thoughts below as I would love to hear from you.

Re: A Question about Islam and Science

Originally posted by The Philosopher View Post
    Assalamualikum,

Please do not copy and paste answers from other sites to answer my questions generally. It has been done before, I know of them but I am looking for public insight with a scientific perspective. I can find and read about all the Hadith and Scholars who just talk about these aspects in a religious manner without considering the scientific aspect.
    That's illogical. These scholars won't issue rulings on those things without considering the science behind them. They're not just religious fanatics - they have their scientific and worldly knowledge, too.

Comment

What about other substances such as Cannabis? It is not a neural inhibitor but instead it is an enhancer. THC binds with cannabinoid receptors and ultimately effects our dopaminergic system which releases domapine in our brain and is linked to the reward pathway. In low doses, it causes relaxation, reduces blood pressure, stress, anxiety etc. How can it be Haram in low doses?
      Because it slows down the central nervous system. In prolonged use, it can lead to death. Suicide is haraam in Islam. So, one would have to be careful as to what their intentions are prior to each use. Allah (swt) is watching and knows what's in our hearts.

I understand that it becomes Haram in high doses because it causes hallucinations and delusions. What about medical marijuana? The prescribed medication by doctors who ask you to smoke it? Does it still become Haram then? If not, for the sake of your health which I presume most of you will answer. Why are we not allowed to smoke it causally?
      Your first thread had posts that answered these questions.

Just like any other substance, abusing it will cause an addition and ultimately the dependency which then becomes Haram. There are some immediate effects that alter the sense which is questionable in Islam because so does Ibuprofen (Advil) which is an anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which reduces hormones that cause pain. Wouldn't that be considered haram as well? What about Nicotine (Cigarettes)? Nicotine causes increased blood pressure and heart rate, faster respiration, constriction of arteries and the simulation of the central nervous system. It is a slow poison which does and eventually kill you.
      Ibuprofen, in large amounts, can also cause death. Same with nicotine. Again, the intentions and whether or not they were prescribed by doctors will be counted because these drugs can alter one's normal state and can be abused.

Why isn't smoking considered Haram since it does almost the same things as Cannabis or other similar drugs but it takes longer to do so. It still effects the dopaminergic system which results in addictive properties and when people try to quit smoking they experience withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, depression, headaches, fatigue. Smoking also is correlated highly with lung cancer and other medical problems.
      Smoking is haraam. Don't know where you got that from.

Ultimately, my question is, why are some drugs not Haram in Islam and others are. Who decides which drugs are Haram and how do they determine them? If in the eyes of God committing suicide is Haram, then by each cigarette you smoke, you are slowly committing suicide. Why isn't that Haram? If low doses/high doses make no difference in considering a substance Haram, why aren't they?
      Drugs are haraam in Islam. When they are permitted, it is only under very specific circumstances. Who decides what is haraam: 1. Qur'an. 2. authentic Sunnah 3. consensus of Islamic scholars based on Qur'an and Sunnah. They also use worldly knowledge to assess circumstances.
      Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
      "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

Originally posted by starrynight11 View Post
        Because it slows down the central nervous system. In prolonged use, it can lead to death. Suicide is haraam in Islam. So, one would have to be careful as to what their intentions are prior to each use. Allah (swt) is watching and knows what's in our hearts.

Ibuprofen, in large amounts, can also cause death. Same with nicotine. Again, the intentions and whether or not they were prescribed by doctors will be counted because these drugs can alter one's normal state and can be abused.

Smoking is haraam. Don't know where you got that from.

Drugs are haraam in Islam. When they are permitted, it is only under very specific circumstances. Who decides what is haraam: 1. Qur'an. 2. authentic Sunnah 3. consensus of Islamic scholars based on Qur'an and Sunnah. They also use worldly knowledge to assess circumstances.
        I will look for exact mechanisms on how these drugs work, In shaa Allah.
        Life's actually pretty simple: you just have to enjoy it, pray, do good, refrain from bad, and respect others. Being Muslim is not a disadvantage or an advantage - it's a responsibility.
        "So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true" (Qur'an, Surah Ar-Rum - 30:60)

Comment

Assalamualikum,

Please do not copy and paste answers from other sites to answer my questions generally. It has been done before, I know of them but I am looking for public insight with a scientific perspective. I can find and read about all the Hadith and Scholars who just talk about these aspects in a religious manner without considering the scientific aspect.

I have a few questions/theories about Islam and Science in addition to a few questions pertaining to why certain substances such as Cannabis/Alcohol are considered Haram in Islam.
          First of all before I begin, I would like to mention that I am not posting these questions/theories to upset or argue against our religion but purely for further knowledge on these matters.

The Theory

There has been a debate on evolutionism and creationism as we are all aware of. I have to say that as a Muslim, I believe in both. I am studying microbiology of immunology/disease and psychology in university and I have conclusive evidence that evolution is real. We can directly observe the effects of natural selection (not just survival of the fittest but all of what "Darwin" actually meant) and all mechanisms of evolution. We can study the effects of evolution on genomes of humans and animals. They provide us insight into human evolution and it is no longer a debate. We can prove evolution through experimentation on C. elegans and other single celled organisms that evolution is in fact real.

What if Allah created human beings through evolution? What if in the Quran there are verses that explain the creation of Adam through evolution. After researching the Quran on the internet quite a bit I have found these verses; “Verily We created man from a product of wet earth; then placed him as a drop (of seed) in a safe lodging; then We fashioned the drop into a clot, then We fashioned the clot into a little lump, then We fashioned the little lump into bones, then clothed the bones with flesh, and then produced it another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of Creators!” [23:12-14]
          I know these verses are the steps for the development of an embryo, however they also illustrate the steps of evolution. We know that in science, the theory is that life originated from a cesspit of genes, a muddy pool, where the conditions on Earth were just right for the formation of DNA and RNA to create life. "We created man from a product of wet earth".
          Furthermore, those verses are followed by the creation of an embryo. We know that human embryos are similar to the embryos of other animals. The key line is, "and produced it another creation".

http://triangulations.files.wordpres...pg?w=300&h=279
          Please notice how the initial form of an embryo across species are similar. This does not point towards evolution but the steps of conception which could imply a shared evolutionary method.

Isn't it possible that aside from the development of an embryo those verses illustrate the steps of evolution that lead from a common ancestor and Adam was the creation from clay, which was theorized by scientists that was the closest conditions of the ground at the time when the first organism was created. What if Allah created evolution? Then wouldn't science and religion be the same entity?

I haven't looked further into the Quran to decipher other verses which could illustrate other aspects of evolution since these verses are quite hard to find. I can't read Arabic and must rely on the English translations.

If you're not well versed in what evolution actually is or have no knowledge on Biology that is studied at a university/higher level. I would appreciate if you could refrain from commenting about how you can disprove evolution. I will only accept scientific evidence to disprove evolution. Evolution is a fact in the scientific community and all biological empirical studies are based around that presumption. I know, that you cannot infer causation from correlation in science but that is the premise of philosophy and reality, where we determine empirical evidence as a measure of observable evidence (i.e. the truth).

SECOND PART - Question about substances like Alcohol/Weed/Smoking (Nicotine) etc.

I am aware that these things are Haram because they alter the senses, cloud judgement, harmful for your body etc. However, I do not see a consistent nature of scientific effects on the human body.

What do you mean you haven't seen a consistent nature of scientific effects?

I myself have never done these substances and Insha'Allah I never plan to. I am just asking for the sake of knowledge and how that relates to science and religion.

For instance, all these different substances have different effects on the brain. For example, if we consider Alcohol to be Haram no matter the conditions. We can see that Alcohol is a neural inhibitor. It blocks NDMA receptors, since alcohol reduces glutamate's excitatory effect thus diminishing neural activity resulting in the sedative effect.
          We know that in different doses, alcohol produces, a relaxing effect, impairs concentration, reduces coordination, alters emotions, slurs speech, causes vomiting etc. It is Haram because it can cause damage to the brain especially in the frontal lobes and can cause the reduction in brain size and ventricles. In addition, it leads to alcohol dependency (addiction) and it can effect your offspring. Lead to FAS syndrome (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome)

You also forgot about the damage it does to your liver and many other negative effects. The disadvantages of Alcohol majorly outweigh the advantages

Because a drug like Cannabis has potential to be abused. Although it reduces Blood Pressure, I'm sure there is medication dedicated to the therapy of High BP which if left untreated leads to a Heart Attack which can be used. All the benefits you've listed can be fixed or prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle. If you seek solace in Allah, then how can one be stressed? You do not need Cannabis to relax.

I think you answered your own question there.
          Again, the potential for abuse. I understand that some people say they can be responsible and use drugs, but it does have some sort of uplifting effect in small doses, like you said, reduces stress, anxiety…etc, and one can benefit from these positive effects by maintaining a good quality of life.

No, because Ibuprofen is medication. I'm sure you're aware that medicines contain drugs. So why are we allowed to take medication?

I didn't know it was ok to smoke :scratch:

Ultimately, my question is, why are some drugs not Haram in Islam and others are. Who decides which drugs are Haram and how do they determine them? If in the eyes of God committing suicide is Haram, then by each cigarette you smoke, you are slowly committing suicide.

-pray: Tell that to the people that smoke. It also speeds up the ageing process.

Why isn't that Haram? If low doses/high doses make no difference in considering a substance Haram, why aren't they?

I'm not trying to pick out the faults of Islam but I am trying to wrap my head around this particular topic where it seems like a grey area. Wouldn't ideally defining what is Haram and not Haram be to the individual since everyone would have a different opinion? Smoking scholars would say it is not Haram where as non-smoking scholars would say it is. Thus wouldn't it be more of a social stigma rather than because of a religious reason?

Please pardon any grammatical/punctual errors as I have not proof-read what I wrote. Please leave your opinions and thoughts below as I would love to hear from you.
          I'm sure in Islam, we are taught that every disease has a cure and we just have to go out and look for it.

I just want to say that these are my personal opinions, so don't quote Islam on it.

I didn't answer the first question since I only have secular knowledge on the subject and thus it wouldn't be right for me to even attempt it.

I understand that I have gave no evidence to back up any claims I may have made, it was just what I thought of off the top of my head.

Also, many people forget that the Qur'an wasn't sent down as a science book.
          Last edited by The Criterion; 18-11-14, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you for all your replies and I have learned a great deal from you all.
            Also, the smoking aspect I read around various other Islamic websites. I found another Scholar, or I'm not sure what his credibility is but he claims smoking is not Haram but Makrooh.
            http://islamqa.org/hanafi/muftisays/9063

But scientifically smoking is Haram, if doing other drugs are Haram, then why is not smoking banned or label Haram immediately? Why do other Muslims contest it as not being Haram but Makrooh?

Comment

The Philosopher
              A Question about Islam and Science

Assalamualikum,

I have a few questions/theories about Islam and Science in addition to a few questions pertaining to why certain substances such as Cannabis/Alcohol are considered Haram in Islam.
              First of all before I begin, I would like to mention that I am not posting these questions/theories to upset or argue against our religion but purely for further knowledge on these matters.

The Theory

http://triangulations.files.wordpres...pg?w=300&h=279

Do you have a link to the body of research on evolution. I'd love to look into it more

What about medical marijuana? The prescribed medication by doctors who ask you to smoke it? Does it still become Haram then? If not, for the sake of your health which I presume most of you will answer. Why are we not allowed to smoke it causally?
              Anything taken as a medicine prescribed by a physician is permissible in Islam. As I understand it any of the pills we take, such as ibuprofen, are prohibited if taken in recreation rather than medicinally. Also, can you make the connection of the last question for me? I don't understand why being prescribed a medicine should mean you're allowed to use it in a recreational manner.

I'm curious when that link you posted was written. I heard of scholar calling it makrooh years ago when they said they didn't have enough information to call it haram, but I thought all scholars if not the VAST majority say cigarettes are haram,

Ultimately, my question is, why are some drugs not Haram in Islam and others are. Who decides which drugs are Haram and how do they determine them?
              A drug is haram if it Allah has sent a message prohibiting it or the effects it gives off. As for who decides, Allah does. The scholars interpret the Quran and Sunnah to help guide us, but in the end everyone is responsible for themself

Comment

This is simply not true

Have a link?

Comment

About the evolution part....

I don't think it's Islamic to say that humans also evolved from an common ancestral species. Only Quranists and the ahmadiyya explicitly hold this view and they are very deviant.
                  There is clear scriptural evidence that Adam was placed on Earth from heaven. So you can't deny this.

As for micro-evolution( not including change of species).... there is nothing in Islam which prevents one from believing this.
                  As for macroevolution there is nothing in Islam that contradicts the evolution of species other than that of man.

So I believe all other species have a common ancestor.
                  But for humans, I believe in a very special recouncilation theory...not perfect but it solves a lot of problems and questions.
                  This video explains it: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydlrg7zFP6w

Basically A evolved to B. B evolved to C. C to evolved to D. D evolved to modern humans.

But when D was evolving to modern humans...Allah placed Adam and Eve.

But there are many problem with this theory....the evidence that homo-sapiems and other prehuman species mixed. And also due to the scientific impossibility of an entire population coming from just 2 individuals (just imagine the co-efficient of inbreeding!) Unless of course Allah made mutation rates to be super high to increase variation.
                  Otherwise inbreeding would have killed the species off.

As for the second part.....

I take the view that smoking anything is makrooh (not a sin if done but will be rewarded if avoided)... whether it's weed...or cigarettes/ nicotine or whatever. But it becomes haram to get addicted to it and to lose your sense of reality through it.

As for alcohol. It is haram. Why? Because Allah says so. Health reasons are just wisdoms behind it but the underline reason is because Allah says so.

Comment

Originally posted by guest80 View Post
                    That's illogical. These scholars won't issue rulings on those things without considering the science behind them. They're not just religious fanatics - they have their scientific and worldly knowledge, too.
                    You're wrong.

Majority of our scholars once said that coffee was haram. that the printing press was haram...... 300 years back if you drank coffee in Saudi you will be persecuted. If you had "Sahih Bukhari" in printed form you will punished as well.

Scholars especially in Saudi don't have much scientific knowledge and that's a weakness of the ummah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE2ufcIhhlk

Comment

Originally posted by kesaber View Post
                      This is simply not true
                      Cannabis is a depressant drug, which means it slows down the transfer of chemical messages from the brain to the body via the nervous system. It is haraam because it is an intoxicant. In small or low doses, you may feel those symptoms that the OP described. It also takes a while for the effects to show in some people's bodies. As such, those who take these types of drugs may develop a physical or psychological dependence on the drug. Regular use over time may result in tolerance to the drug, leading the user to increase the quantity consumed (for which we know how dangerously serious the effects can be). When regular users suddenly stop taking large doses, they may develop withdrawal symptoms ranging from restlessness, insomnia, and anxiety to convulsions and death. Not to forget the range of social problems that can develop from one's use of drugs.

In small doses, it has an effect on the body, which can have long-term consequences.

Originally posted by kesaber View Post
                      Have a link?
                      Check out Ummah Lounge forum. The title of the thread is the same as this one. The answer is in one of the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by starrynight11 View Post
                        Cannabis is a depressant drug, which means it slows down the transfer of chemical messages from the brain to the body via the nervous system. It is haraam because it is an intoxicant. In small or low doses, you may feel those symptoms that the OP described. It also takes a while for the effects to show in some people's bodies. As such, those who take these types of drugs may develop a physical or psychological dependence on the drug. Regular use over time may result in tolerance to the drug, leading the user to increase the quantity consumed (for which we know how dangerously serious the effects can be). When regular users suddenly stop taking large doses, they may develop withdrawal symptoms ranging from restlessness, insomnia, and anxiety to convulsions and death. Not to forget the range of social problems that can develop from one's use of drugs.

In small doses, it has an effect on the body, which can have long-term consequences.

Check out Ummah Lounge forum. The title of the thread is the same as this one. The answer is in one of the posts.
                        I wasn't trying to turn this into a debate about the permissibility of marijuana or the effects. Simply that it does not kill. And thanks I'll go look for it

Comment

Originally posted by guest80 View Post
                          This is what Noble Quran says about wine, intoxicants etc

Noble Quran 2:219

''They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit.
                          .................................................. ....................................."
                          My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X