Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do muslims believe that Muhammad is incapable of sinning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do muslims believe that Muhammad is incapable of sinning?

Muhammad [saw] was not incapable of doing sins; he was human like us but due to his piety he wouldn't fall into major sin; as for minor sins, Allah protected him from it as it is unbecoming to a prophet to commit even minor sins; an example is, when he was an adult sheep herder [in his mid teens?] one day he thought he'd go and visit those parties he heard of from other sheep herders where there are girls dancing etc but on his way Allah kept on making him fall asleep and soon he gave up going!

his repentence for sins was out of gratefulness to Allah and not that he had commited sins

Comment

Originally posted by masterridley View Post
      I posted this in another forum and I did not receive a satisfactory answer. I don't want to hear interpretations and fiqhs coming from fallible people. I want to be shown where it says so in the Qur'an and the ahadith! Thanks in advance.

So, we have this from sahih Bukhari:

8.407: Narrated Abu Musa: The Prophet used to invoke Allah with the following invocation: "O my Lord! Forgive my sins and my ignorance and my exceeding the limits of righteousness in all my deeds and what you know better than I. O Allah. Forgive my mistakes, those done intentionally or out of my ignorance or without or with seriousness, and I confess that all such mistakes are done by me. O Allah! Forgive my sins of the past and of the future with I did openly or secretly. You are the One Who makes the things go before and You are the One Who delays them, and You are the Omnipotent."

If Muhammad himself was praying for forgiveness for sins that he may have committed, then why do muslims think he's perfect and incapable of sinning? Do they know more than he does? Are they calling him a liar? Cause he certainly seems to think that he's capable of sinning.

IMO, this doctrine is completely indefensible. In http://islamqa.info/en/42216, nothing is given to support the infallibility of Muhammad with regards to sins. Only the ability of the prophet to convey the message of Allah infallibly is proven extensively (with references to hadith, quran etc)

For the rest, the site has only this to say:

Secondly: With regard to the Prophets as people, they may make mistakes. This may be discussed as follows:

1 –They do not commit major sins
      With regard to major sins, the Prophets do not commit major sins at all, and they are protected from such major sins both before their missions began or afterwards.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 4/319:
      The view that the Prophets are infallible and protected against committing major sins, as opposed to minor sins, is the view of the majority of Muslim scholars and of all groups. It is also the view of the scholars of tafseer and hadeeth and ***aha’. Indeed, nothing has been narrated from any of the salaf, imams, Sahaabah, Taabi’een and those who followed them except that which is in accordance with this view.

So it's just a naked appeal to majority opinion of flawed humans. Nothing exists in Islamic scripture to suggest that Muhammad is incapable of sinning in matters unrelated to conveying the Message. (on the contrary, he himself says otherwise). Why then do the 4 schools continue to support this baseless doctrine (along with the majority of muslims)?
      The question you've raised is an interesting one. It is in fact correct that Prophets don't sin, they MAY make mistakes. Your question was why we "believe" that Prophet (SAW) is so perfect and sinless. The reason you will find people knowing and believing this is because we study the Sunnah, the life of Prophet Muhammad saw. What you need to do is study Sunnah to find your answers. There is a hadith which tells us that Angel Gabriel purified Prophet's heart with ZamZam, extracted a blood clot saying this was the part of Satan.

Nevertheless, I'd still advise you to study the life of Prophet Muhammad saw, and you will find your questions to be answered.

Comment

Originally posted by Slave of Rehman View Post
        Muhammad [saw] was not incapable of doing sins; he was human like us but due to his piety he wouldn't fall into major sin; as for minor sins, Allah protected him from it as it is unbecoming to a prophet to commit even minor sins; an example is, when he was an adult sheep herder [in his mid teens?] one day he thought he'd go and visit those parties he heard of from other sheep herders where there are girls dancing etc but on his way Allah kept on making him fall asleep and soon he gave up going!

his repentence for sins was out of gratefulness to Allah and not that he had commited sins
        Yes, i heard something like this from Mufti Menk he felt asleep which happened once in his youth before attaining the Prophet hood . He was different from the others kids during his child hood too . Living in seclusion in a forest and leading a Pure life is not a great achievement but living among a sea of sins among the great sinners who USED to bury their kids ( female ) alive and on whom none of the greatest conquerors , Invaders never dare to conquer but still carried on a pure life away from the sins and was a righteous good trader , a good kind husband, a good kind father even before the attainment of Prophet hood ,

No wonder people used to call him AL AMEEN, The TRUSTWORTHY to that extent even when the leaders of Arab raided his house in the night to kill him for spreading the Message of ONLY ONE GOD, Islam he still had DEPOSITS of Valuables ( like a bank safe Locker . shows how pagans Arabs trusted him inspite of hating his for his' one God Message) which he transferred the duty to handover to their rightful depositers-owners ( before Fleeing To Medina ) even at that DESPERATE time of LIFE - DEATH EMERGENCY , the Courageous, top responsible trait NONE in the world have ever displayed.
        My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

Edit: Which he transferred to his cousin Ali (ra) , the duty to handover........
          My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by hatche View Post
            Assalamualaikum, brother! :D

Nice answer. :up:
            Walikum salam wr wb brother ;)

Hope I already replied you in another thread, better to repeat as its fard to reply salam but its a sunnah to say salam
            My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by masterridley View Post
              I posted this in another forum and I did not receive a satisfactory answer. I don't want to hear interpretations and fiqhs coming from fallible people. I want to be shown where it says so in the Qur'an and the ahadith! Thanks in advance.

So, we have this from sahih Bukhari:

8.407: Narrated Abu Musa: The Prophet used to invoke Allah with the following invocation: "O my Lord! Forgive my sins and my ignorance and my exceeding the limits of righteousness in all my deeds and what you know better than I. O Allah. Forgive my mistakes, those done intentionally or out of my ignorance or without or with seriousness, and I confess that all such mistakes are done by me. O Allah! Forgive my sins of the past and of the future with I did openly or secretly. You are the One Who makes the things go before and You are the One Who delays them, and You are the Omnipotent."

If Muhammad himself was praying for forgiveness for sins that he may have committed, then why do muslims think he's perfect and incapable of sinning? Do they know more than he does? Are they calling him a liar? Cause he certainly seems to think that he's capable of sinning.

IMO, this doctrine is completely indefensible. In http://islamqa.info/en/42216, nothing is given to support the infallibility of Muhammad with regards to sins. Only the ability of the prophet to convey the message of Allah infallibly is proven extensively (with references to hadith, quran etc)

For the rest, the site has only this to say:

Secondly: With regard to the Prophets as people, they may make mistakes. This may be discussed as follows:

1 –They do not commit major sins
              With regard to major sins, the Prophets do not commit major sins at all, and they are protected from such major sins both before their missions began or afterwards.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 4/319:
              The view that the Prophets are infallible and protected against committing major sins, as opposed to minor sins, is the view of the majority of Muslim scholars and of all groups. It is also the view of the scholars of tafseer and hadeeth and ***aha’. Indeed, nothing has been narrated from any of the salaf, imams, Sahaabah, Taabi’een and those who followed them except that which is in accordance with this view.

So it's just a naked appeal to majority opinion of flawed humans. Nothing exists in Islamic scripture to suggest that Muhammad is incapable of sinning in matters unrelated to conveying the Message. (on the contrary, he himself says otherwise). Why then do the 4 schools continue to support this baseless doctrine (along with the majority of muslims)?
              AssalamuAlaikum,

The Prophet pbuh is only human. He has the capability of sinning, but he did not. As for the shortcomings, he did an action which Allah criticize as a short coming which is not a short coming in our discourse, but the standard for the Prophets is higher. This known in Surah Abasa, where he was talking to a blind man, but the Prophet pbuh turned away. It is amazing that Allah criticizes this behaviour of the Prophet even though a blind man cannot see someone turn away from them. I.e. if you were blind, you would not see if someone was facing you or was turning away from you.

Comment

Originally posted by brothernd View Post
                AssalamuAlaikum,

The Prophet pbuh is only human. He has the capability of sinning, but he did not. As for the shortcomings, he did an action which Allah criticize as a short coming which is not a short coming in our discourse, but the standard for the Prophets is higher. This known in Surah Abasa, where he was talking to a blind man, but the Prophet pbuh turned away. It is amazing that Allah criticizes this behaviour of the Prophet even though a blind man cannot see someone turn away from them. I.e. if you were blind, you would not see if someone was facing you or was turning away from you.
                Allahu Alam^

It seems people more knowledgeable have already spoken about this already presently and from in the past.

Comment

“O Prophet! Why do you forbid that which God has made lawful to you? You seek to please your wives! But God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” - 66:01.

Comment

For me, the answer simply because there is no evidence of sinning.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                      For me, the answer simply because there is no evidence of sinning.
                      define sin ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dawah. View Post
                        The question you've raised is an interesting one. It is in fact correct that Prophets don't sin, they MAY make mistakes. Your question was why we "believe" that Prophet (SAW) is so perfect and sinless. The reason you will find people knowing and believing this is because we study the Sunnah, the life of Prophet Muhammad saw. What you need to do is study Sunnah to find your answers. There is a hadith which tells us that Angel Gabriel purified Prophet's heart with ZamZam, extracted a blood clot saying this was the part of Satan.

Nevertheless, I'd still advise you to study the life of Prophet Muhammad saw, and you will find your questions to be answered.
                        That is a fabricated thing.

If the blood clot was removed from prophet , then that means that the element to do sin was removed. Then where was the test and trials for him?

For eg : If an Impotent person does not do adultery , what is the credit ? Credit is when the person is fit and healthy and has opportunity but still does not do it.

Credit of prophets is that though like others they are capable of doing sins , yet refrain from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bismil View Post

If the blood clot was removed from prophet , then that means that the element to do sin was removed. Then where was the test and trials for him?

For eg : If an Impotent person does not do adultery , what is the credit ? Credit is when the person is fit and healthy and has opportunity but still does not do it.

Credit of prophets is that though like others they are capable of doing sins , yet refrain from that.

On what basis did you call that report fabricated?

That report does not necessarily have to be fabricated. Just because a blood clot of satan was taken out from Prophet Muhammad's (sallalahu alayhi wasalm) heart, it does not mean that he lost the capability to sin. It is Dawah who has interpreted the report in a wrong manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Face Off View Post
                            define sin ?
                            Anything you may be liable to get punished for.

Comment

That report does not necessarily have to be fabricated. Just because a blood clot of satan was taken out from Prophet Muhammad's (sallalahu alayhi wasalm) heart, it does not mean that he lost the capability to sin. It is Dawah who has interpreted the report in a wrong manner.
                              Originally posted by Bismil View Post

I agree with hatche, this was not at all fabricated. He was put through the tests and trials like any other prophet to test his patience, tolerance, and how he handles them, so that others (us) can look up to him and learn from it. A prophet can't sin AT ALL, they may make mistakes.

For example, Prophet Yunus (as) failed to tolerate his people's ignorance and taunts and hence left them on their own for azaab. This wasn't a sin he committed otherwise Allah swt would have called it one in the Quran. This was a mistake he made for which he repented in the belly of the whale. Prophet saw were about to or did little mistakes too for which Allah swt questioned him in the Quran very strictly (neglecting the blind Umm Maktoom, calling a honey/maghaafir haram on himself because his wives Hafsa as and Aisha as didn't like it etc) Let's not forget when Allah swt strictly told him, after the Battle of Uhd, to treat the companions justly even after the disobedience in Uhd, and keep them under discussions in the future. These aren't sins, but mistakes.

He was tested and put through trials to see if he'd waver; he was tested to attain honor and great rewards from Allah swt.

So in short, the hadith was not at all fabricated. Anas ibn Malik has reported this which was confirmed by Prophet saw as well; it's a sahih muslim hadith, kitaabul imaan, #162. You may verify it too.

عَنْ أَنَسِ بْنِ مَالِكٍ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ أَتَاهُ جِبْرِيلُ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ وَهُوَ يَلْعَبُ مَعَ الْغِلْمَانِ فَأَخَذَهُ فَصَرَعَهُ فَشَقَّ عَنْ قَلْبِهِ فَاسْتَخْرَجَ الْقَلْبَ فَاسْتَخْرَجَ مِنْهُ عَلَقَةً فَقَالَ هَذَا حَظُّ الشَّيْطَانِ مِنْكَ ثُمَّ غَسَلَهُ فِي طَسْتٍ مِنْ ذَهَبٍ بِمَاءِ زَمْزَمَ ثُمَّ لَأَمَهُ ثُمَّ أَعَادَهُ فِي مَكَانِهِ وَجَاءَ الْغِلْمَانُ يَسْعَوْنَ إِلَى أُمِّهِ يَعْنِي ظِئْرَهُ فَقَالُوا إِنَّ مُحَمَّدًا قَدْ قُتِلَ فَاسْتَقْبَلُوهُ وَهُوَ مُنْتَقِعُ اللَّوْنِ قَالَ أَنَسٌ وَقَدْ كُنْتُ أَرْئِي أَثَرَ ذَلِكَ الْمِخْيَطِ فِي صَدْرِهِ

162 صحيح مسلم كتاب الإيمان باب الإسراء برسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إلى السماوات وفرض الصلوات

Anas ibn Malik reported: Gabriel came to the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, when he was a child playing with his friends. He took hold of him and laid him on the ground, then he tore open his chest, took out his heart, and extracted a blood clot from it. Gabriel said, “This was the measure of Satan inside you.” Gabriel washed the heart with Zamzam water in a golden vessel and it was joined together and restored. The boys came running to his mother and said, “Muhammad has been murdered!” They rushed to Muhammad and found that he was alive and his color had changed. Anas said, “I myself saw the marks of the needle on his chest.”

Few other companions have reported to have seen the scar on his chest as well.
                              Last edited by Dawah.; 30-06-15, 10:03 AM.

Comment

What does blood clot of satan mean ?

Which hadeeth Book has this hadeeth ?

Was it done to previous prophets as well ?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X