Scholars Are Quietly Offering New Theories of the Koran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholars Are Quietly Offering New Theories of the Koran

Has anyone read this article? I have a hard time finding histories of how the quran was compiled or the process in which the modern translation was given birth. I know its probably a complicated topic but I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on the article/the subject in general.

Re: Scholars Are Quietly Offering New Theories of the Koran

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/02/ar...m&pagewanted=2

sorry I forgot to put the article in the original post.

Comment

Originally posted by random5456 View Post
      Has anyone read this article? I have a hard time finding histories of how the quran was compiled or the process in which the modern translation was given birth. I know its probably a complicated topic but I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on the article/the subject in general.
      I read the article.
      It appears as ideologically driven neo-imperialist crap. The geo-political context exposes these folks as imperious "orientalists" steeped in a legacy of trying to find ways to weaken Islam in order to make imperial conquest and domination over Muslims easier.

As for academic claims, they are all barren.
      The interpretation of the Quran has to be referenced to the Quran itself first, then the Prophet Muhammad (saw). There are numerous Quranic verses which address the concept of "hur". And the Prophet (saw) commented on them in numerous ahadith. So the descriptions of full breasted, modest, innocent, untouched companions who are pleasing to the eye have been fabricated to fit a superimposed meaning that should have been white raisins? And all the prophetic traditions concerning these verses are fabricated despite being recognized as authentic?

Or, it is far more likely, in fact it is certain, that these imperial buffoons try to sew doubt and confusion to serve their imperious hubris and diabolical malice.
      Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
      " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Kamel View Post
        I read the article.
        It appears as ideologically driven neo-imperialist crap. The geo-political context exposes these folks as imperious "orientalists" steeped in a legacy of trying to find ways to weaken Islam in order to make imperial conquest and domination over Muslims easier.

The interpretation of the Quran has to be referenced to the Quran itself first, then the Prophet Muhammad (saw). There are numerous Quranic verses which address the concept of "hur". And the Prophet (saw) commented on them in numerous ahadith. So the descriptions of full breasted, modest, innocent, untouched companions who are pleasing to the eye have been fabricated to fit a superimposed meaning that should have been white raisins? And all the prophetic traditions concerning these verses are fabricated despite being recognized as authentic?

Or, it is far more likely, in fact it is certain, that these imperial buffoons try to sew doubt and confusion to serve their imperious hubris and diabolical malice.
        I agree, it is written from a secular perspective probably by someone who hopes to secularize islam in the way a lot of christian theology has secularized to an extent by deconstrucing it historically etc, thats just the spirit of the of the age we live in, like when it quotes one author whose supposed to have done critical research on the history of the quran and she says how could the prophet pbuh have advocated ideas that are so closely aligned to semetic monotheism while being in a culture which was profoundly polytheistic, this to her suggests that the quran over time absorbed meaning from jewish and christian traditions and the quran as it exists today is an amalgamation of those ideas plus some arab culture. To a nonbeliever the idea that the reason islam is monotheistic is because Jibreel actually came to the prophet and revealed the same message as was revealed to jesus and abraham before him would be out the question...

But some of the stuff she says like early arabic written versions of the quran being without harafa or missing vowels that has serious implications for the meaning of the quran, and those should be looked at honestly by muslims. I feel like if I take my faith seriously how can I not look into something like that. Like I said there's probably a huge tradition surrounding it, and I wouldnt be surprised if its all in arabic and inaccessible to western muslims and thus its hard to find information on.. so the only sources for things like that are western writers. I also partly agree with the the author in that the reaction from muslims tends to be that yo think critically means in opposition to islam, thats partly why I think so little of stuff like that is circulating on the internet in english anyway, when there's so much information on biblical history and exogesis in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Kamel View Post
          I read the article.

Those scholars are such scholars as in this link at

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qr6Oco1hI0 watch at 4 minutes onwards

To know compilation of Quran read the following

http://www.islamreligion.com/article...n%20of%20quran

kindly read the above for now and listen to the right sources and not the fake ones like going to the Right doctor or he will kill you.
          My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

http://muslimgirl.net/2516/compilati...the-holy-quran and this caused some confusion. So, Uthman bin Affan (RAA) made the historical decision to have a which would be followed by everyone regardless of their origin. He sent for the copy that was kept with Hafsah bint Khattab (RAA) and asked Zaid bin Thabit (RAA)Zaid bin Thabit DID NOT VARY with the FIRST QURAN compilation of Abubacker's (ra) also under by the same Zaid bin Thabit which was compiled one year after Prophet's death and that's why this First copy was returned back To Hafsah bint al Khattab (ra) { who was in custody of it from the First Calph Abu Bakr (ra)} but other bits of Quran that were collected were burnt to avoid confusion of arrangement of ' verses and suras and several dialects'''
            My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

http://muslimgirl.net/2516/compilati...the-holy-qurantwice. and this caused some confusion. So, Uthman bin Affan (RAA) made the historical decision to have a which would be followed by everyone regardless of their origin. He sent for the copy that was kept with Hafsah bint Khattab (RAA) and asked Zaid bin Thabit (RAA) along with others (Abdullah Ibn Al-Zubair, Said Ibn Al-`As, and Abdul-Rahman Ibn Al-Harith Ibn Hisham) to make copies and had them sent to the major Islamic Centres at the time.

The dotting and vowelization of the letters, that is, placing diacritical marks in the text, was done in order for Muslims of non-Arab origin to be able to recite it with correct pronunciation. This process took three stages and spanned over 100 years. In the first stage (661-680 CE), dots were put as syntactical marks by Abu Al-Aswad Al-Doualy. In the second stage, the alphabets (huruf) were marked with different dotting to differentiate them (e.g. B T TH); this was done by Nasr Ibn Asem and Hayy Ibn Yaamor (685-705 CE). The third and final stage, a complete system of diacritical marks -vowel points (fathah, kesra and dumma) were introduced by Al-Khaleel Ibn Ahmed Al Faraheedi (d. 786 CE).

This made it possible for millions of MuslimsThe syntax of the Arabic language, phonetic system and phraseology have remained intact for over fourteen hundred years.
              The ''Khalifa Uthman bin Affan(ra) whose 2 nd copy of QURAN compiled under Zaid bin Thabit DID NOT VARY with the FIRST QURAN compilation of Abubacker's (ra) also under by the same Zaid bin Thabit which was compiled one year after Prophet's death and that's why this First copy was returned back To Hafsah bint al Khattab (ra) { who was in custody of it from the First Calph Abu Bakr (ra)} but other bits of Quran that were collected were burnt to avoid confusion of arrangement of ' verses and suras and several dialects'''
              My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

White raisins, really now? *massive rolleyes* And i just suppose men are gonna be married to white raisins, who're gonna be their loving companions, pure and chaste untouched by man or jinn?

These disbelievers are hilarious. They call themselves academics yet are hilariously ignorant and really haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
                Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by Mikha’eel View Post
                  White raisins, really now? *massive rolleyes* And i just suppose men are gonna be married to white raisins, who're gonna be their loving companions, pure and chaste untouched by man or jinn?

These disbelievers are hilarious. They call themselves academics yet are hilariously ignorant and really haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
                  Once a person removes the filters of religious beliefs and studies the cold hard history of these things in the same way they they study everything else, things start to look very different. Not specific to Islam of course. The Old testament has got "made up patchwork of myths stolen from all over the place" written all over it.

It's interesting that these professors are labeled "ideologically driven". Not like religious people then. No, of course religious people are looking at this stuff completely rationally.

Comment

Unless one accepts the idea of the angel Gabriel, Ms. Crone says, historians must somehow explain how all these monotheistic stories and ideas found their way into the Koran.
                    There is the whole problem with this ridiculous article. Just like scientists have to find a way to explain our existance since they cannot accept that God created everything, these baboons, known as historians, need a way to explain how the Quraan can have all these monotheistic stories. Rule out Gabriel, as they have done, then they need an alternate explanation.

Quite clearly, the whole article, as a result, is nothing short of a joke. The monkey's who proposed this nonsense totally forgot that the Quran was revealed not in writing but by "voice." While vowel signs may be omitted in writing, they are not omitted in speaking. You cannot speak an Arabic word without saying the vowel signs. Hence, the meaning of hur is not "white raisin" as one idiot states based on a dictionary, but it is virgin based on the fact that this is how the word was spoken.

Talk about a bunch of evolved monkeys.
                    Watch those eyes

Comment

Shaykh Ibn Qayyim (rh) said:

"Of the characteristics of an idiot is to be pleased with a lie".
                      Allahumma, aranee al haqqu haqqan wa arzuqnee itiba`ahu, wa aranee al baatilu baatilaan wa arzuqnee ijtinaabahu.Oh Allah! show us the truth as true, and inspire us to follow it. Show us falsehood as falsehood, and inspire us to abstain from it.
                      " Do you know what destroys Islam? A mistake made by a scholar, the argument of a hypocrite in writing and the ruling of leaders who wish for people to stray

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X