Daily Prayers In Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Prayers In Space

This question has been of interest to me for some time, particularly as I am an aspiring sci-fi novelist.

The question is, if a Muslim is in space or on another planet, in what direction should he pray? For that matter, what if he is on a planet with a different length of day? Venus has a day over 200 Earth days long, would a Muslim on Venus only pray a few times a year?

Re: Daily Prayers In Space

Any muslim in space or on another planet would pray facing earth because that's the direction of the kaaba. That's the easy answer.

I don't know about prayer times, there is difference of opinion on this issue. For example, some Muslims who live closer to the North pole such as in northern Norway also have nights that last for months and days that last for months. I have heard that some judge their prayer and fasting times according to Saudi or according to a country on the equator that is at the same longitudinal location as where they are.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
      Any muslim in space or on another planet would pray facing earth because that's the direction of the kaaba. That's the easy answer.
      What if the Earth is above or beneath them? I guess they could face the point on their own planet directly "beneath" the Earth...

I don't know about prayer times, there is difference of opinion on this issue. For example, some Muslims who live closer to the North pole such as in northern Norway also have nights that last for months and days that last for months. I have heard that some judge their prayer and fasting times according to Saudi or according to a country on the equator that is at the same longitudinal location as where they are.
      There''s been similar discussion among Jewish scholarship. Some have actually taken the view (which I reject) that Jews should just avoid living in those areas.

Comment

I think it would be highly unlikely that people would end up at a specific location that's absolutely directly above or below the earth- surely space and what it contains is far more vast than that. What I mean to say is that for example if a person ends up on a planet that is above the earth, but not directly, more likely at a 10 o'clock angle; then it would not be difficult to pray on a ramp or slope at a slight angle too.

Aside from that, I'm not going to contemplate the whole concept of praying from a planet directly above or below the earth because there's a concept in Islam regarding not dwelling on things that have no reality. In other words, we don't need to answer that question unless or until someone actually plans to travel to that location (directly above or below earth) and if/when that happens, we cross that bridge when we come to it... we don't have a need to dwell on it before then.

Btw I'm not a scholar or anything, so just take all this as a lay Muslim's opinion but I do think my view is consistent with the Islamic view on the matter.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X