X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beauty of Sufism: The Path to Allah and His Love

The Beauty of Sufism: The Path to Allah and His Love

:start:

All praises is due to Allah, who created the Heavens and the Earth, who spreads His Mercy upon all that He has created, May Allah send blessings and peace upon our master Muhammad, his companions, those that followed them in righteousness, and may Allah give them the best in this life and the next and may Allah protect them from the hellfire.

To Proceed,

While there are many paths (tariqas) in Sufism, they share one common goal, Ihsan, to worship Allah as though you see Him, (because you see Him), if not that He see you. My personal path is that of the Shadhili tariqa, it is a path of knowledge, built on the Quran, Sunnah and sound Islamic scholarship. Because of the growing ignorance of Sufism I wanted to make a thread dedicated to knowledge and wisdom expounded by the scholars of Sufism, in this time day and time as well as the past. I wanted to first talk about a topic that isn’t addressed by most shaykhs and Imams, namely the Love of Allah, His Love for us and our Love for Him which is the emphasizes of Sufism. Whomever you love, you want to be in their presence. Thus we seek being close to Him, Allah. Sufism is about tawhid, but not intellectual tawhid (Tawhid Aqli), rather experiential tawhid (Tawhid Dhawqi). Following this post I will simply quote the scholars of Sufism and make a reflection.

The Love of Allah

Ibn Ajiba said, “Sufism: a science by which it is known how to spiritually travel to the Divine Presence of the King of Kings; purifying the inward of lowly traits and adorning it with virtues. Its beginning path is knowledge, its intermediate path is action, and its end path is a divinely bestowed gift.”

The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) who said: Allah Most High says: "He who is hostile to a friend of Mine I declare war against. My servant approaches Me with nothing more beloved to Me than what I have made obligatory upon him, and My servant keeps drawing nearer to Me with voluntary works until I love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his sight with which he sees, his hand with which he seizes, and his foot with which he walks. If he asks me, I will surely give to him, and if he seeks refuge in Me, I will surely protect him" (al Bukhari, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, al-Bayhaqi- Fath al-Bari, 11.340–41, hadith 6502);

Allah says, “He loves them and they Love him.” (5:54) “And those who believe are stronger in their love for Allah.” (2: 165) “Say: If you truly love Allah, follow me; Allah shall love you and forgive you your sins.” (3:31)

The Means of Attaining Love

Shaykh Abd Qadir Isa, said, " The scholars mentioned many means to attain love. The most important of these means are ten:

1. Reciting the Qur’an with contemplation, reflection, and seeking to understand its meanings and what is intended.
    2. Drawing close to Allah through supererogatory (recommended) works, after having fulfilled the obligations. This cause one to reach the rank of ‘being beloved’ after the rank of love itself.
    3. Having perpetual remembrance of Him in every state: with the tongue, heart, actions and spiritual state. One’s portion of love is directly commensurate to his portion of remembrance.
    4. Preferring what He loves over what you love – especially during times in which the lower passions overcome the servant, and to scale the levels of His love, even if it may be difficult.
    5. Allowing the heart to witness, experience, and know His Names and Attributes, and to move about in the garden of this knowledge – whoever knows Allah by His Names, Attributes, and actions, will love Him by necessity.
    6. Witnessing His Kindness, favours, and goodness; both outward and inward. This invites to His Love.
    7. Seeing to it that the heart is completely broken and in a state of lowliness and humility in front of Him, the Exalted.
    8. Engaging in solitary retreat with Him in the time of Divine theophanies, intimately conversing with Him, especially in the pre-dawn period; reciting His speech, standing with the heart observing etiquette in front of Him and completing all of this with seeking forgiveness and repentance.
    9. Sitting with the truthful lovers, carefully taking the good fruits of their words [and states] just as one takes good fruits from trees. It is from proper etiquette in their gatherings that one does not speak in their presence unless there is a preponderant benefit to be found in speech, and one knows that it contains an increase in one’s spiritual state and a benefit to others.
    10. Taking care to remove one’s self far from every means that will serve as a barriers between the heart and Allah.

Through these means and others, the lovers reached the station of love." (Realities of Sufism, Shaykh Abd Qadir Isa)

And Allah knows best.
    Last edited by aMuslimForLife; 26-06-14, 06:07 PM.
    My Blog ---> Reflections of the Traveler http://baraka.wordpress.com

Re: The Beauty of Sufism: The Path to Allah and His Love

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate the most merciful.

One of the beauties of Sufism is the unbroken chain of shaykhs back to the ProphetSuyūţi said that [the affirmation] was preferred by him just like Hafiž Điyāuddīn al-Maqdisi did in his Al-Mukhtārah and Shaykh al-Islām Al Mizzi And Al Ĥafiž

Comment

I will expound upon some of the Wisdoms of the Sufi Shaykhs of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaah

Imam al Darqawi said, "Faqir, nothing is more beneficial to you than true sincerity with your Lord in what he has commanded you to do and in what He has forbidden you. By Allah, if you were like that with Him, you would see wonders since Allah Almighty says, "If they had been true to Allah, it would have been better for them." By Allah, if we were true with Him, our enemy would be true with us. By Allah, if we were to restrain our abuse of the servants of Allah, our Lord would defend us against every harm and abuse. Then we would only only experience good from everything, and we would not see any evil in anything. The one who used to harm us would not harm us, and the one who used to cut us off would not cut us off. We will only have this after the death, obliteration, disappearance, departure and extinction of our nafs, and after our annihilation to our annihilation. "

My Thoughts

This is seeking Allah's pleasure by doing what He commanded, but it is also about understanding Allah's decree. There are two sides to everything. Our perspective and Allah's perspective. The sufis term it, Shariah and Haqiqa. When we see a wrong in the world, we have to identify it as wrong, per Shariah. But from another perspective, it would not have happened if Allah did not decree it. Something to reflect on.

Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When Allah desires good for someone, He afflicts him." [Al-Bukhari]

This is why the Shaykh said, "Then we would only experience good from everything, and we would not see any evil in anything." Because in reality, behind everything, Allah is the one controlling things.

And Allah knows best.

Comment

Wisdom from the Scholars of Ishan (Tasawwuf) from Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaah

Imam Abdullah al Haddad said, "You should have a regular practice of reading useful knowledge, which is that increases your knowledge of the Essence of Allah, His Attributes, Acts and favours, makes you aware of His commands and prohibitions, leads you to renounce the things of this world and wish only for the hereafter, and brings your faults, the defects in your acts and the plots of your enemy to your notice. This knowledge is present in the Book, the sunnah, and the writings of the leaders (imams)." (The book of Assistance)

My Thoughts:

We are commanded in the Quran, "Oh you who believe, be with the Truthful." This is a command to be with those whom will have a positive effect on you. Sometimes this is not easy in the modern world, our life is quite busy. We can't always make it to the masjid, to be with other believers. So a possible solution to this is to read the books of the righteous. Be with them in spirit. Open the Quran, be with Allah. Open the book on hadith, be with the Prophet, Open books of the Saliheen (the righteous) and be with righteous. We should make a daily practice of doing the above, especially the Quran, hadith and the books of the Saliheen. I also found listening to lectures to be very helpful as well.

And Allah knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by aMuslimForLife View Post
          Wisdom from the Scholars of Ishan (Tasawwuf) from Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jamaah

Imam Darqawi said, "If you want to travel the path quickly and to immediately obtain realization, you must perform obligatory prayers and what is confirmed of supererogatory good actions. You should outward knowledge as it is necessary since our Lord is only worshiped by means of it. Do not purse it deeply since it is not desired that you penetrate it deeply into it. What is desired is to penetrate deeply into the inward." (The Darwawi Way)

Comment

The secret of real sufism

Allah created the human being and loves him. That is why everyone loves love.

"I have only created jinns and men, that they may serve Me." (S 51 V 56). Serving Allah here means knowledge of Allah. You have to know that to know Allah, you must be another Allah. Else you can not not know Allah.

For instance, a weak man who sees a strong man can know this is a strong man. But a strong man's cognition of another strong man is not the same. He knows what he endured, what obstacles he surmounted, what difficulties he faced, what efforts he made, what injuries he sustained, what commitment he had. A weak man can not know this.

This is the claim of the accomplished Sufis. They achieved knowledge of Allah. This knowledge is bestowed on one once his trusworthiness is established, in the heavens. This would never have been possible if you were not another Allah. This knowledge of Allah can not be with you except that you are another Allah. For instance, Allah says to Muhammad "you did not throw when you threw, but Allah threw" (S 8 V 17). He also says about Muhammad "he was at a distance of but two bow-lengths or even nearer" (S 53 V 9). The Sufis claim they are Allah. Al Hallaj claimed it, Ibn Arabi claimed it, Abu Yazid Al Bistami claimed it. In fact, all of the accomplished Sufis claim it. This is to say that the divine came in this world in human form. Not 1 time, not 5 times, not 25 times, not 313 times, not 124 000 times, but as many times as there have been in this world prophets, saints and Sufi saints. There is in a hadith qudsi that the heart of the believer can contain Allah. That hadith is about special believers.

This is the secret of real sufism.

Note: There are other realities similar to this one, for instance the reality of fana, and other ways to explain these realities. Please refrain from doing so, however, as we would divert from the topic.

Comment

Re: The secret of real sufism

No, that's not the real Sufism. Now mods can close the thread

Comment

Originally posted by -Shamil- View Post
                No, that's not the real Sufism. Now mods can close the thread
                Allow the discussion to go on, please.

Comment

Originally posted by El Hadji View Post
                  Allow the discussion to go on, please.
                  You're a deviant. Goto shia chat and be with your alike
                  [B][CENTER]Please keep me in your Dua'a. in'shaa'Allah ![/CENTER][/B]

Comment

I am El Hadji. This is my new user name.

I am not Shia. As to the thread, it is about an important topic.

Comment

Imam Abu Hasan al Shadhili said, "The Wali will not reach Allah, so long as he still has any worldly desires, so long as he still attempts to dispose of his own affairs, or so as he continues to rely on his own choices."

Comment

Salam akhi there are some suf muslems that I now that say u can reach I piouty that u can travel to Mecca and back during yr prayer also some Sufi in turkey have a special ritual were they spin around with there arms spread out and Allah sends his forgiveness through the man and it is spread to the people around him, is there any truth to this

Comment

Originally posted by Bilal el View Post
                          Salam akhi there are some suf muslems that I now that say u can reach I piouty that u can travel to Mecca and back during yr prayer
                          Wa Alaykum Salam,

That doesn't sound that impressive, the ability to get to Mecca and back can be achieved by flying a plane.

also some Sufi in turkey have a special ritual were they spin around with there arms spread out and Allah sends his forgiveness through the man and it is spread to the people around him, is there any truth to this
                          I heard of the whirling dervishes, perhaps that is a practice that they engage in. Never met anyone from that tariqa. So I can neither confirm nor deny that statement.

My Thoughts:

Sufism is about learning sacred knowledge and applying it in ones life. And if one does so with sincerity, if Allah so will, HE will grant the believer with closeness to Him, as Allah says, "until I love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his sight with which he sees, his hand with which he seizes, and his foot with which he walks. If he asks me, I will surely give to him, and if he seeks refuge in Me, I will surely protect him"

The point of Sufism is to reach a point until Allah Love's One. And as Allah says, "And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his sight with which he sees, his hand with which he seizes, and his foot with which he walks. If he asks me, I will surely give to him, and if he seeks refuge in Me, I will surely protect him"

And Allah knows best.

And Allah knows best.

Comment

When u say u can't conform this nor deny it do u mean that u can't conform/deny that it is a practice or that can can get forgiveness fthrough the whirling Brother I ask with full sincerity and muturity

Comment

Originally posted by Bilal el View Post
                              When u say u can't conform this nor deny it do u mean that u can't conform/deny that it is a practice or that can can get forgiveness fthrough the whirling Brother I ask with full sincerity and muturity
                              Basically I am saying, I don't know anything about that tariqa nor their practices.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X