Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

    :salams

    Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: Allah's Apostle said, "While I was sleeping I saw (in a dream) some people wearing shirts of which some were reaching up to the breasts only while others were even shorter than that. Umar bin Al-Khattab was shown wearing a shirt that he was dragging." The people asked, "How did you interpret it? (What is its interpretation) O Allah's Apostle?" He (the Prophet ) replied, "It is the Religion."

    I tried searching but alas Sheik Google couldn't help >_> could somebody help explain this to me, especially the latter bit.

    Much appreciated
    Per aspera ad astra.

  • #2
    Re: I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

    Originally posted by Al-Mualim View Post
    :salams

    Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: Allah's Apostle said, "While I was sleeping I saw (in a dream) some people wearing shirts of which some were reaching up to the breasts only while others were even shorter than that. Umar bin Al-Khattab was shown wearing a shirt that he was dragging." The people asked, "How did you interpret it? (What is its interpretation) O Allah's Apostle?" He (the Prophet ) replied, "It is the Religion."

    I tried searching but alas Sheik Google couldn't help >_> could somebody help explain this to me, especially the latter bit.

    Much appreciated
    is it sahih?
    Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

    The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

    and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

    and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

    and charity is proof (of one's faith)

    and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

    All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.



    حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

    Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
    In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
    USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
    (deprecated numbering scheme)

    أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

    Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].


    Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

      Sahih Bukhari yes
      Per aspera ad astra.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

        i don't want to give out a wrong interpretation, but i have an idea of what the hadith is saying in my head.

        I think you should message abu-musab
        Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

        The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

        and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

        and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

        and charity is proof (of one's faith)

        and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

        All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.



        حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

        Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
        In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
        USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
        (deprecated numbering scheme)

        أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

        Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].


        Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

          Originally posted by Al-Mualim View Post
          :salams

          Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: Allah's Apostle said, "While I was sleeping I saw (in a dream) some people wearing shirts of which some were reaching up to the breasts only while others were even shorter than that. Umar bin Al-Khattab was shown wearing a shirt that he was dragging." The people asked, "How did you interpret it? (What is its interpretation) O Allah's Apostle?" He (the Prophet ) replied, "It is the Religion."

          I tried searching but alas Sheik Google couldn't help >_> could somebody help explain this to me, especially the latter bit.

          Much appreciated
          The length of shirt= adherence to religion
          Allah sent down his tranquillity upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

            In the book "The Biography of Umar ibn al Khattab" by Dr. Ali Muhammad as Sallaabbe there is the hadith:

            The Prophet s.a.a.w said: While I was sleeping, I saw a dream in which I was given a cup of milk. I drank from it....and then I gave what remained in the cup to Umar r.a. The Companions asked, "and how do you interpret this dream, O Messenger of Allah?" The Prophet s.a.a.w said, "I interpret the milk in the cup to mean knowledge." Bukharee (3681)

            It continues: "As for Umar's piety, the Messenger of Allah s.a.a.w.once said:

            "While I was sleeping, I saw a dream in which people were being presented to me. They were wearing shirts and among them were people whose shirts reached their chests (they covered them only from their necks to their chests). And among them were people whose shirts reached lower than that (or perhaps, whose shirts did not even reach that level). Umar was then presented to me, and upon him was a shirt that he was dragging on the ground." The companions asked, "And how do you interpret that, O Messenger of Allah?" He replied, "I interpret that to mean religion."

            Dr.Sallaabe says: "That Umar r.a. dragged his shirt meant that, as he walked, he was leaving behind tracks in the ground; and those tracks were a metaphor for good deeds and positive accomplishments he left behind after his death, so that others could follow his rightly guided character. And Allah Knows Best."
            "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I don't understand this hadith- about a dream

              :salams
              :jkk: Musbah, Hadmatter and Laila
              I understand now :up:
              Per aspera ad astra.

              Comment

              Collapse

              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

              Working...
              X