Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Eugenics haram?

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
    How do you propose we do that, by hunting down people and tranquilising them before putting them in cages to breed?
    Now there's a picture! All joking aside, I can see the appeal of certain aspects, but there are still problems. Inbreeding is one of them. Selective breeding in animals towards enhancing certain traits has come with some drawbacks, one example being the breathing problems encountered by certain breeds of cat. Or that dogs have lost as much as 40% of their genetic diversity. Humans have even less diversity to begin with. http://io9.com/5925024/why-eugenics-will-always-fail

Another problem is that sooner or later, there will be an "elite" or "ideal" picture promoted, and that's when things go terribly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslim Cowboy View Post
      Now there's a picture! All joking aside, I can see the appeal of certain aspects, but there are still problems. Inbreeding is one of them. Selective breeding in animals towards enhancing certain traits has come with some drawbacks, one example being the breathing problems encountered by certain breeds of cat. Or that dogs have lost as much as 40% of their genetic diversity. Humans have even less diversity to begin with. http://io9.com/5925024/why-eugenics-will-always-fail

Another problem is that sooner or later, there will be an "elite" or "ideal" picture promoted, and that's when things go terribly wrong.
      Was waiting for someone to mention this

I was thinking sometime down the line it will be the socially abnormal for people with traits deemed less desirable to breed, thereby further increasing the proportion of people with desired traits.

Master race eventually achieved without anyone being killed, however I didn't know about the drawbacks that came with selective breeding.

Comment

I don't exactly know, just throwing the idea out there.

I'm sure if a nation wanted to enforce it then it could manage it considering the way people think. In due time such a thing could be the social norm as mentioned above and it takes care of itself from that point on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindipper View Post
          I don't exactly know, just throwing the idea out there.

I'm sure if a nation wanted to enforce it then it could manage it considering the way people think. In due time such a thing could be the social norm as mentioned above and it takes care of itself from that point on.
          That has already been done, it was the social norm here in North America and was government enforced during the 1920's and 1930's. It is now considered to have been a great failure. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...994/story.html

That is just one case, there were other "undesirable traits" that were targeted, some of them being racial. And as science later found, in many cases it was unnecessary, the traits were not genetic. As to social engineering, that's another can of worms that has had severe consequences in the past.

Comment

To get this straight. You want a pure Aryan race? You just want to use Eugenics in order to be sure that mixed race people like myself to do not breed?

Comment

Originally posted by Muslim Cowboy View Post
              That has already been done, it was the social norm here in North America and was government enforced during the 1920's and 1930's. It is now considered to have been a great failure. http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...994/story.html

That is just one case, there were other "undesirable traits" that were targeted, some of them being racial. And as science later found, in many cases it was unnecessary, the traits were not genetic. As to social engineering, that's another can of worms that has had severe consequences in the past.
              Well that's disappointing, I guess I'll have to keep faith blue/green eyes won't disappear and there will always be full raced people on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveIsTheAnswer View Post
                To get this straight. You want a pure Aryan race? You just want to use Eugenics in order to be sure that mixed race people like myself to do not breed?
                Where did I say that?

From what i've read on this thread I guess I was a form of selective breeding as opposed to Eugenics, not stopping anyone from breeding or killing anyone. Just think it would be a shame if the entire world ended up mixed race (I mentioned the white race in particular as the gene seems to be recessive, then again i have no proof of this so sorry if this is incorrect).

Just a personal preference of mine, apologies if you were offended in any way (master race comment was in jest).

Comment

Well that's disappointing, I guess I'll have to keep faith blue/green eyes won't disappear and there will always be full raced people on the planet.
                  With 7 billion of us now, and they think 9 billion in 25 years, there is little danger of that happening in our lifetimes. Besides, everything is done for a purpose.

Comment

Why is that so important to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                      Why is that so important to you?
                      Because they are traits I like, pointless really but would be a shame if they are gone even after i'm after i'm dead.

Comment

Because they are traits I like, pointless really but would be a shame if they are gone even after i'm after i'm dead.
                        I'm sure it will be the last thing on your mind once you're in your grave.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X