learning arabic mandatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning arabic mandatory?

Assalam o alaikum. I have a very important question that I think is discouraging me. Recently, ive tried to get closer to islam and pray salah and read quran. I have also decided to read quran with translation in ramadan because i havent read it with translation before and i can understand arrabic. Now my question is that is arabic a MANDATORY requirement for a muslim? I am 21 years old, about to get a job and I wont have much time to study arabic at this stage of my life. If i would have started at an earlier age, then it would have been easier. I have heard people saying that arabic is must for islam. I know some surahs that i learnt when i was a kid and im hoping to learn a few more for salah. but i just get discourages that this is not enough and i need to know arabic in order to perform salah because i need to understand what im saying in the salah. also, i want to acheive khushoo in salah whwich people say is only possible if u know arabic. even though my recitation of quran is not perfect, i am willing to improve it but i just dont want to learn the arabic language at this stage. please tell me if its possible to be a good muslim without understanding the arabic language if i understand quran through translation and if i can recite surahs from quran.

jazakallah.

Re: learning arabic mandatory?

You have to perform the prayers in Arabic. My advice is to print out the surahs that you want to memorize in the transliteration and place it upon the floor below where you will make sujood so you can read off of it until you memorize the Arabic. Do this also for both parts of the Tashahud if you don't know them in Arabic.
    "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post
      You have to perform the prayers in Arabic. My advice is to print out the surahs that you want to memorize in the transliteration and place it upon the floor below where you will make sujood so you can read off of it until you memorize the Arabic. Do this also for both parts of the Tashahud if you don't know them in Arabic.
      actuallly i dont think u got my point. I know how to read arabic and i have memorized some surahs since i was a kid. My question is that I don't understand arabic. I can read it but i dont know the meaning unless i see the translation. Ive heard that your prayer cannot be accurate unless u know exactly what ur saying the salah and it doesn't come by memorizing translation but by knowing the arabic language and knowing exactly what ur saying in salah.

Comment

If your problem is not understanding the Arabic translation of Salaah recitations, visit this website :
        http://blackbunker9.wordpress.com/20...hprayernamaaz/

The main point of khushoo is to "be in the moment" with Divine Presence, mindfulness of Allah, and humility. Honestly I don't understand Arabic as well, and I read from translations all the time. Understanding the meaning of salaah recitations will help (visit the first link), but you don't have to know all Arabic at once. Pace yourself gently.

Here again, tips to help khushoo :

12 Surefire ways to improve khushoo in prayer

The Prayer code : the inner meaning of every salaah movements
        :GB_bonesrock:
        And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Originally posted by Ariadne View Post
          If your problem is not understanding the Arabic translation of Salaah recitations, visit this website :
          http://blackbunker9.wordpress.com/20...hprayernamaaz/

The main point of khushoo is to "be in the moment" with Divine Presence, mindfulness of Allah, and humility. Honestly I don't understand Arabic as well, and I read from translations all the time. Understanding the meaning of salaah recitations will help (visit the first link), but you don't have to know all Arabic at once. Pace yourself gently.

Here again, tips to help khushoo :

12 Surefire ways to improve khushoo in prayer

The Prayer code : the inner meaning of every salaah movements
          this will help me a lot. Jazak Allah. very interesting blog.

Comment

The correct opinion seems to be that it is Fard Al-Kifaayah - which means that not everyone needs to know it, but a certain number of people in a community need to know it so that the responsibility is lifted of everybody.

وقال كما في مجموع الفتاوى ( 32/252) : ( ومعلوم أن تعلم العربية وتعليم العربية فرض على الكفاية

Learning and teaching Arabic is Fard Al-kifaayah (Majmoo' Al-Fataawa)
            Watch those eyes

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X