Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solace and respite in other than the Quran...valid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solace and respite in other than the Quran...valid?

Is it permissible to use poetry and words of wisdom other than/along with those found in the Quran to get through a period of short indifference that one experiences...??

As long as one isn't neglecting their obligations in anyway and is always striving in their practice and understanding of the deen - is it ok as a hobby/something else to do, to read non-Islamic literary material that doesn't have any haram content.

I worry that it could be seen as a waste of time if something isn't directly connecting to the deen but if something is inspirational and uplifting for the human spirit in general would it be considered ok?

:jkk:

Re: Solace and respite in other than the Quran...valid?

makes no sense to ask people on here for permission to read poetry.

which author/book are you reading anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by lutonguy View Post
      makes no sense to ask people on here for permission to read poetry.

which author/book are you reading anyway?
      Was looking for opinions more than anything really - hope I get some more.

:jkk: for yours

Read some T.S. Eliot

Comment

I find that most british muslims don't read literature, either islamic or non-islamic, but that's another topic.

Comment

It's something I'm beginning to appreciate recently on a deeper level. I tend to be inclined towards non-fiction esp science(physics) reading material but my brain needs a different paradigm to grabble with :o I need a new lens to look through...

I'll be shelving the black hole and quantum gravity books for the time being.....any recommendations for a beginner?

Comment

Here's a couple of randomly interesting books that I started but didn't finish:

Star Maker - by Olaf Stapledon
            Crow - by Ted Hughes

Comment

...Star Maker - by Olaf Stapledon...
              Looks like a Sufi book.

Comment

Here's a couple of randomly interesting books that I started but didn't finish:

Star Maker - by Olaf Stapledon
                Crow - by Ted Hughes
                :jkk: I'll look for them on my kindle.

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                Looks like a Sufi book.
                Why do you specifically mention that about it? Is it the off Sunnah kind of Sufi stuff?

:jkk:

Comment

I find solace by sitting alone and enjoying nature. I seek solace by hugging trees. I find solace in reading Rumi and Ibn Ata'allah for example "Book of Wisdom" for the latter. And I find solace from reading non-Islam spirituality books. Solace can also be found in doing the compassionate acts, be it to humans, animals, or plants. The point is you can find God in different ways, because all existence are reminders to His presence. All that exists are the signs of His bounty.

Originally posted by Nafs Al Tawabah
                  I'll be shelving the black hole and quantum gravity books for the time being.....any recommendations for a beginner?
                  I don't know your book taste but perhaps you can try :

- "The Fabric of cosmos" : Brian R. Greene
                  - "The Quantum Universe : Everything that can happen does happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw

But I'll have to check my shelves first if you want more titles :D
                  :GB_bonesrock:
                  And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

why would you want to learn spirituality from disbelievers?
                    Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by Ariadne View Post
                      I find solace by sitting alone and enjoying nature. I seek solace by hugging trees. I find solace in reading Rumi and Ibn Ata'allah for example "Book of Wisdom" for the latter. And I find solace from reading non-Islam spirituality books. Solace can also be found in doing the compassionate acts, be it to humans, animals, or plants. The point is you can find God in different ways, because all existence are reminders to His presence. All that exists are the signs of His bounty.

I don't know your book taste but perhaps you can try :

- "The Fabric of cosmos" : Brian R. Greene
                      - "The Quantum Universe : Everything that can happen does happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw

But I'll have to check my shelves first if you want more titles :D
                      :jkk: for the suggestions :o

I've decided though that I've read enough philosophy(Sartre, Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, etc) and physics books and also some sufi texts. I need a new lens....more real life and yet abstract...fiction but not fiction and this is where classic literature comes in I think.

I've also read books on Hinduism, Buddhism and even modern spirituality movement....I think I've had my dose and its time for something new....I'll see how I fare on the shores of classical literature

Comment

Originally posted by Nafs al Tawabah View Post
                        :jkk: for the suggestions :o

I've decided though that I've read enough philosophy(Sartre, Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, etc) and physics books and also some sufi texts. I need a new lens....more real life and yet abstract...fiction but not fiction and this is where classic literature comes in I think.

I've also read books on Hinduism, Buddhism and even modern spirituality movement....I think I've had my dose and its time for something new....I'll see how I fare on the shores of classical literature
                        looooool some of these books are a no-no-no for your imaan. :D

What I mean by non-Islamic spirituality books are general books teaching you how to be a better person/ loving person etc, or how to view life positively --- but not attaching themselves to any religion or doctrinal belief or woo-woo.

For sufi book I'll stick with Ibn Ata'allah "Book of Wisdom" a very fine orthodox Islamic spiritual aphorism book and Ghazali's books. Some bayans like from Shaykh Zulfiqar Ahmad are precious too, I wish he would write a book for that.

Originally posted by Mikha’eel View Post
                        why would you want to learn spirituality from disbelievers?
                        spirituality is not always religious or about religion.

Rasulullah (Pbuh) had said the words of wisdom is the lost property of believers and wherever they find it have the right to it.

I have personally learned about compassion, self awareness, empathy, caring for animals, kindness, how to be positive person, how to be a helping person, from "disbelievers books" (I don't talk about Zen or Buddhism books). Now I'm not a fully compassionate or perfectly spiritual person but... aren't these attitudes parts of spirituality too?

So what? If it's good for your own self development and not against Islam, take it. If it's against Islam, leave it.
                        Last edited by Ariadne; 10-06-14, 05:13 PM.

Comment

looooool these books are a no-no-no for your imaan. :D

What I mean by non-Islamic spirituality books are general books teaching you how to be a better person/ loving person etc, but not attaching themselves to any religion or doctrinal belief or woo-woo.

For sufi book I'll stick with Ibn Ata'allah "Book of Wisdom" a very fine orthodox Islamic spiritual aphorism book and Ghazali's books. Some bayans like from Shaykh Zulfiqar Ahmad are precious too, I wish he would write a book for that.

Rasulullah (Pbuh) had said the words of wisdom is the lost property of believers and wherever they find it have the right to it.

I have personally learned compassion, self awareness, empathy, caring for animals, how to be positive person, how to be a helping person from "disbelievers" books (I don't talk about Zen or Buddhism books). Aren't they parts of spirituality too? So what? If it's good for your own self development and not against Islam, take it. If it's against Islam, leave it.
                          Agreed - one should be careful to read that which they can handle otherwise it'll get tricky for their imaan.

Comment

looooool some of these books are a no-no-no for your imaan. :D

What I mean by non-Islamic spirituality books are general books teaching you how to be a better person/ loving person etc, or how to view life positively --- but not attaching themselves to any religion or doctrinal belief or woo-woo.

I have personally learned about compassion, self awareness, empathy, caring for animals, kindness, how to be positive person, how to be a helping person, from "disbelievers books" (I don't talk about Zen or Buddhism books). Now I'm not a fully compassionate or perfectly spiritual person but... aren't these attitudes parts of spirituality too?

So what? If it's good for your own self development and not against Islam, take it. If it's against Islam, leave it.
                            You can learn all that from Islamic stuff to, but at the same time, as long as you don't allow yourself to get influenced by un-islamic beliefs...then thats alrite i guess, but frankly, for most people its better they stick to Islamic literature and not overerly rely on stuff from Non muslims who could misguide them from the straight path.
                            Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

Originally posted by Mikha’eel View Post
                              You can learn all that from Islamic stuff to, but at the same time, as long as you don't allow yourself to get influenced by un-islamic beliefs...then thats alrite i guess, but frankly, for most people its better they stick to Islamic literature and not overerly rely on stuff from Non muslims who could misguide them from the straight path.
                              Yep agreed with that :D

It's just the best of self development (not necessarily the airy fairy "self help") books are written by non-muslims. It's just the fact. They can really take you to a new world, to see from fresh new perspective, and how to "just be". I rarely find a golden gem of same quality in the same niche from muslim authors, or Islamic authors. Honestly, most self development Islamic books I read are kinda boring, repetitive, predictable or either doctrinal. I'm the kind who loves to be reminded how to embrace the light of our innate spirit, and at the same time remember Allah and involve Him in your process, and rely on Him faithfully. Rumi is very much like that.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X