Is mArriage Manditory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is mArriage Manditory?

Is marriage mandatory or just highly desirable in Islam? I have tried doing some research and have no found anything scripturally saying that marriage is a must but Muslims still give me the impression that it is.

Re: Is mArriage Manditory?

depending on the situation(and madhab), it can become discouraged, recommended or compulsory.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveIsTheAnswer View Post
      Is marriage mandatory or just highly desirable in Islam? I have tried doing some research and have no found anything scripturally saying that marriage is a must but Muslims still give me the impression that it is.
      Marriage is sunnah in Islam. If you can't control sexual desires then getting married will prevent you from doing haram.
      "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post
        Marriage is sunnah in Islam. If you can't control sexual desires then getting married will prevent you from doing haram.
        Ah, well I wouldn't have to worry about that then :D. So really marriage can also become mandatory if cannot control sexual desires outside of a lawful union(marriage)? Would't this be like objectifying a wife as a sexual object though and make a marriage rather shallow. What you are essentially proposing is the marriage of a women to curb men's wandering eyes and desire to copulate which is not biologically relevant with marriage.

Comment

This is not my fatwa, just what I got from some Islamic books I read in the past.

Marriage is basically mubah (allowed to do, not sin if you leave it), Sunnah i.e. recommended act.

But being mandatory or not it depends on the state of the person.

If he is able to control his desire, able to provide, and able to treat his spouse well = Sunnah
          If he's unable to control his desire and will very likely fall into fornication = Wajib (mandatory)
          If he's unable to provide his wife, or he is terminally ill or in a bad condition that will make his marriage turn bad = makrooh (disliked)
          If he married only to harm his wife = haraam (forbidden)

As for people who unable to marry and can;t control desire, Prophet prescribed him to lower gaze (don't be wandering eye and checkin' out women), and to observe fasting.
          :GB_bonesrock:
          And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

Originally posted by Ariadne View Post
            This is not my fatwa, just what I got from some Islamic books I read in the past.

Marriage is basically mubah (allowed to do, not sin if you leave it), Sunnah i.e. recommended act.

But being mandatory or not it depends on the state of the person.

If he is able to control his desire, able to provide, and able to treat his spouse well = Sunnah
            If he's unable to control his desire and will very likely fall into fornication = Wajib (mandatory)
            If he's unable to provide his wife, or he is terminally ill or in a bad condition that will make his marriage turn bad = makrooh (disliked)
            If he married only to harm his wife = haraam (forbidden)

As for people who unable to marry and can;t control desire, Prophet prescribed him to lower gaze (don't be wandering eye and checkin' out women), and to observe fasting.
            Well I am asexual so I won't have to worry about any of these things :D

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X