Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does Warsh Qur'an have different meanings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does Warsh Qur'an have different meanings?

Do the warsh and hafs qur'an have different meaning or the same?

Because in warsh qur'an the words are spelled differently, doesn't that change the meaning?
    If Allah(SWT) has promised to guard the message, then how come we have warsh qur'an with different spellings and translation than the hafs qur'an ? :/

Re: does Warsh Qur'an have different meanings?

Yes, the different Qiraats do have different meanings, but most of the time its very slight differences.

The different Qiraats (Hafs, Warsh etc) were all taught by the Prophet (pbuh) and were recited during the time of the Prophet (pbuh), its not a new concept that which is commonly misunderstood.

So the promise of the Quran being safeguarded is inclusive of all these different riwaayah and meanings and not exclusive to Hafs.

I
    You miss the garden, because you want a small fig from a random tree. Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by brit View Post
      Yes, the different Qiraats do have different meanings, but most of the time its very slight differences.

The different Qiraats (Hafs, Warsh etc) were all taught by the Prophet (pbuh) and were recited during the time of the Prophet (pbuh), its not a new concept that which is commonly misunderstood.

So the promise of the Quran being safeguarded is inclusive of all these different riwaayah and meanings and not exclusive to Hafs.

I
      There were many Dialects ( about 7-8) and Caliph Uthman (ra) made in to a single Book {(All same as in Abubakr(ra) edition complied 1 year after Prophet(saw) } and one Quraishi dialect ONLY .

Slight differences in Meaning , like what ? and in HOW many verses ? thanks
      My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by talibilm09 View Post
        There were many Dialects ( about 7-8) and Caliph Uthman (ra) made in to a single Book {(All same as in Abubakr(ra) edition complied 1 year after Prophet(saw) } and one Quraishi dialect ONLY .

Slight differences in Meaning , like what ? and in HOW many verses ? thanks
        There are slight differences in meaning, but the overall meaning is the same. I read in Warsh and meanings change either due to words changing or stop signs changing. I can think of a few examples off the top of my head.

Example 1 - In Hafs we have:

And those who are killed in the cause of Allah - never will He waste their deeds.

In Warsh "qutiloo" is "qaataloo" giving us:

And those who fought in the cause of Allah - never will He waste their deeds.

Example 2 - in Hafs we have:

And how many a prophet [fought and] with him fought many religious scholars. But they never lost assurance due to what afflicted them in the cause of Allah , nor did they weaken or submit. And Allah loves the steadfast.

In Warsh qaatala changes to "qutila" (meaning also changes depending on the stop signs, I'll post it with the stop signs I have):

And how many a prophet was killed. With him were many religious scholars, but they never lost assurance due to what afflicted them in the cause of Allah , nor did they weaken or submit. And Allah loves the steadfast.

Example 3 - In Hafs we have:

He said, "My Lord knows whatever is said throughout the heaven and earth, and He is the Hearing, the Knowing."

In Warsh "qaala" becomes "qul":

Say, "My Lord knows whatever is said throughout the heaven and earth, and He is the Hearing, the Knowing."

Sometimes singular/plural changes:

Example 4 - In Hafs we have:

The Day when We will fold the heaven like the folding of a sheet for the records.

In Warsh "kitaab" becomes "kutub":

The Day when We will fold the heaven like the folding of sheets for the records.

Notice, the overall meaning is still the same. Like in Example 1, to be killed in the path of Allah implies to have striven upon it. And in example 2, we know Prophets waged Jihad, and we know some of them were also killed. And so on, the overall meaning is the same, but yes you do get additional meanings and the differences do help one to ponder.

How many are there? These are just four out of many many more, there are a lot of places this happens.
        والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

:brf:
          Originally posted by علي View Post
          Notice, the overall meaning is still the same. Like in Example 1, to be killed in the path of Allah implies to have striven upon it. And in example 2, we know Prophets waged Jihad, and we know some of them were also killed. And so on, the overall meaning is the same, but yes you do get additional meanings and the differences do help one to ponder.

How many are there? These are just four out of many many more, there are a lot of places this happens.
          That's it ! there are only ABOUT four and THE meanings( like is Sura fathiha Maaliki, maliki)are NEARLY the SAME as in Various translations of Quran by different Authors.So sensitive things as THESE we have to be very clear because brother brit in enthusiasm replies such that people tend to think in a different way including me , the Aged uncle, so how about Non muslims ? How will they think ?

:brf: brother Ali
          My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

:brf:

That's it ! there are only ABOUT four and THE meanings( like is Sura fathiha Maaliki, maliki)are NEARLY the SAME as in Various translations of Quran by different Authors.So sensitive things as THESE we have to be very clear because brother brit in enthusiasm replies such that people tend to think in a different way including me , the Aged uncle, so how about Non muslims ? How will they think ?

:brf: brother Ali
            Wa iyyakum bro, you're right the meanings tend to be almost the same, or just add to the meaning in Hafs. But they are more than four, a lot more.
            والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Isn't there a hadith by the Prophet(PBUH) that says there are 7 different recitations of the Qur'an. So that means today we should have 7 different recitations with different words and giving different meanings but not contradicting each other ?

And have all these been preserved as promised by Allah(SWT) ?

Are there people who have memorized all 7? Cause it seems like only hafs is been memorized by majority of the people. What if there are no hafiz of the qailoon and all, then they can be corrupted right?

Also, is there a website or somewhere where i can read these different recitations of the Qur'an ? If they have translation and transliteration that'd be great! Thanks..

Comment

:saw::saw:
                Originally posted by spinxo View Post
                Isn't there a hadith by the Prophet(PBUH) that says there are 7 different recitations of the Qur'an. So that means today we should have 7 different recitations with different words and giving different meanings but not contradicting each other ?

Are there people who have memorized all 7? Cause it seems like only hafs is been memorized by majority of the people. What if there are no hafiz of the qailoon and all, then they can be corrupted right?

Also, is there a website or somewhere where i can read these different recitations of the Qur'an ? If they have translation and transliteration that'd be great! Thanks..
                As you have American, English, Irish, Autralian, Malaysian etc etc have different dialects and Accents similar they were different Arab speaking dialects Egyptian, Moroccan,Meccan etc etc dialects and Quran was read differently with THE SPREAD of Islam ( during Prophet(saw) it was only 2 ) than so they all had same meaning so during Caliph Uthman( Ra) felt the need to standardise into one dialect and thats Hafs that we are all using now

Allah swt has ordered the Prophet :saw: to discuss with Sahabas whenever confusions and affairs arise and Prophet :saw: himself has ORDERED THE UMMAH to follow the Sahabas after his demise in any matters that they unanimously decide , that's why we are praying 20 rakat taraweeh prayers which were not prayed during Prophet(saw) etc and was started by Caliph Umar (ra) and similarly we have to follow the Quran compiled by Caiplh Uthman (ra) who verified and attested the Ist edition of Quran by Calpih Abu bakr(ra) 1 year after Prophets demise.

Your question is like you have a GENUINE British English dictionary and still you want have all other dictionaries through out the world. Can I know what are you after ? Hope you are not a TROLL creating useless issues here.
                My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by spinxo View Post

Yes there are people who gave memorized all of them. They were all transmitted, have been memorized and recorded throughout the ages, and have not been corrupted. This is in contrast to the Bible which has had editions and revisions and subtractions in every age.
                  Watch those eyes

Comment

:saw::saw:

As you have American, English, Irish, Autralian, Malaysian etc etc have different dialects and Accents similar they were different Arab speaking dialects Egyptian, Moroccan,Meccan etc etc dialects and Quran was read differently with THE SPREAD of Islam ( during Prophet(saw) it was only 2 ) than so they all had same meaning so during Caliph Uthman( Ra) felt the need to standardise into one dialect and thats Hafs that we are all using now

Allah swt has ordered the Prophet :saw: to discuss with Sahabas whenever confusions and affairs arise and Prophet :saw: himself has ORDERED THE UMMAH to follow the Sahabas after his demise in any matters that they unanimously decide , that's why we are praying 20 rakat taraweeh prayers which were not prayed during Prophet(saw) etc and was started by Caliph Umar (ra) and similarly we have to follow the Quran compiled by Caiplh Uthman (ra) who verified and attested the Ist edition of Quran by Calpih Abu bakr(ra) 1 year after Prophets demise.

Your question is like you have a GENUINE British English dictionary and still you want have all other dictionaries through out the world. Can I know what are you after ? Hope you are not a TROLL creating useless issues here.
                    This is a hadith from sahih bukhari

(3) Narrated Anas bin Malik: (The Caliph 'Uthman ordered Zaid bin Thabit, Said bin Al-As, 'Abdullah bin Az-Zubair and 'Abdur-Rahman bin Al-Harith bin Hisham to write the Quran in the form of a book (Mushafs) and said to them. "In case you disagree with Zaid bin Thabit (Al-Ansari) regarding any dialectic Arabic utterance of the Quran, then write it in the dialect of Quraish, for the Quran was revealed in this dialect." So they did it. (Book #61, Hadith #507)
                    My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

CORRECTION: There were 7 dialects at the time of Prophet (saw) itself but Caliph Uthman(ra) felt the need to standardise into one dialect and thats Quraishi dialect or Hafs that we are all using now . Hadith Muslim (Book #004, Hadith #1787)
                      My sect - No Sect

Just a Muslim

Comment

No i am not creating useless issues, i was confused about this that is why i was asking. Also what about this hadith?

Bukhari: vol. 6, hadith 514, p. 482; book 61

Narrated Umar bin Al-Khattab:

I heard Hisham bin Hakim reciting Surat Al-Furqan during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle and I listen to his recitation and noticed that he recited in several different ways which Allah's Apostle had not taught me. I was about to jump over him during his prayer, but I controlled my temper and when he had completed his prayer, I put his upper garment around his neck and seized him by it and said, "Who taught you this Surat which I heard you reciting ?" He replied, "Allah's Apostle taught it to me". I said, "You have told a lie, for Allah's Apostle taught it to me in a different way from yours". So I dragged him to Allah's Apostle and said, "I heard this person reciting Surat Al-Furqan in a way which you haven't taught me!". On that Allah's Apostle said, "Release him (Umar) recite, O Hisham!" Then he recited in the same way I heard him reciting. Then Allah's Apostle said, "It was revealed in this way", and added, "Recite, O Umar", I recited it as he had taught me. Allah's Apostle then said, "It was revealed in this way. This Qur'an has been revealed to be recited in seven different ways, so recite of it whichever is easier for you."

I read that these 2 men were from the same tribe (quraysh). Doesn't that mean that Qur'an all 7 different recitations were taught by the Prophet(PBUH) ? So these 7 different recitations aren't based on any accents/dialects? Or are tney? :/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X