Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this acceptable?

Aslaam alaikum everyone

Earlier this week I had to go out of town for the day for grocery shopping and other things. Time for Asr prayer was coming to an end and I came across some islamic masjid as I exited the freeway. Given the convenience I went in for wudu and perform my salah. Little did I know that a weird series of events was about to take place.

The masjid itself was very tiny but well kept. There was one small prayer area where men and women both prayed. I performed Asr in the back corner as there were a few men there already sitting around. Afterwards I just sat there and did some dhikr as I waited for Maghrib. As I was waiting for maghrib salah, this older arab man comes up to me and says, "sister look at this." He proceeds to show me a necklace of some sort. At first I had no idea what he wanted me to look at (not to mention I felt very uncomfortable) but then he shows me this small strand of hair that is taped onto this circular pendant. He proceeds to claim that this is a piece of the Prophet's (pbuh) beard :shock:

I didn't know what to believe but was totally sketched out. So I politely nodded and murmured how nice so he would leave me alone.

Thankfully the imam came to call the azan for prayer shortly after. After praying the 3 rakhas I assumed everyone would proceed with the 2 sunnat rakhas on their own, as you would in any other traditional masjid. However after the imam gave his dua in arabic, the entire group of people (about 11-12 male./female) started chanting something that sounded like dhikr. I finished my dua and went to perform my 2 rakhats as I was in a rush. But these people continued to chant and at one point it got so loud and one of the ladies was shrieking :S

I started to wonder if I entered some Shia mosque :S

I don't know but I just felt very uncomfortable. I have gone to many masjids for prayer but this was the first time I went to one alone. Had I not been in a rush to do wudu/perform Asr I would have preferred to have prayed in my car.

I went home and googled the name of the mosque and someone commented in a review that it was led by some lebanon group/non-traditional form of islamic worship.
    What was this chanting that they did? It was so loud and kind of eery. Not the nice, soothing kind you perform during Eid prayers.

Your thoughts?

Re: Is this acceptable?

That's very weird because this guy once went to my brother and cousin and had a lock of hair- he told them the same thing about it being the prophets. Obviously it's not true so my brother and cousin told the guy off.
    "Why Do We Fill Our Hearts With Everything But Allah And Expect Not To Fall Apart"

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1 View Post
      That's very weird because this guy once went to my brother and cousin and had a lock of hair- he told them the same thing about it being the prophets. Obviously it's not true so my brother and cousin told the guy off.
      Yeah the guy kept on telling me to take a good look at it. It was so small that you practically needed a magnifying glass to look at it.
      Plus he wore it around his neck as a necklace. Weird.

Again the place just had a weird vibe to it. I walked out praying that Allah accepted my prayer.
      Ironically I went to a persian restaurant to pick up dinner afterwards and the owner casually told me I could pray maghrib in the back room which had prayer mats for the customers. Next time. lol

But the chanting. So weird!

Comment

They were probably the commonly termed Sufis.

Try your best to avoid these weird and innovative activities that deviate from the true path of the Prophet's (PBUH) Sunna and the Qur'an

Jazakillahu Khairan

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X