Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do atheists ignore the scientific facts in the Quran?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do atheists ignore the scientific facts in the Quran?

They ask for scientific proof (as if the Quran is a book of science only) then when given the proof they reject it. I don't understand that.
    "Why Do We Fill Our Hearts With Everything But Allah And Expect Not To Fall Apart"

Re: Why do atheists ignore the scientific facts in the Quran?

salam

I talk to a lot of atheists, and most of them choose not to believe because they couldn't careless. Also most atheists believe in the philosophy of YOLO, i.e. you only live once. They just want to have fun and games and live thier lives as such. because thats what happens when you dont believe in a life after death, it promotes selfishness and materialism and short term views.
    As for rejecting scientific proofs of the quran, again its usually stubbornness. The quran is not a book of science but a book of signs. But the Quran is consistent with science.

Comment

Originally posted by UFM View Post
      salam

I talk to a lot of atheists, and most of them choose not to believe because they couldn't careless. Also most atheists believe in the philosophy of YOLO, i.e. you only live once. They just want to have fun and games and live thier lives as such. because thats what happens when you dont believe in a life after death, it promotes selfishness and materialism and short term views.
      As for rejecting scientific proofs of the quran, again its usually stubbornness. The quran is not a book of science but a book of signs. But the Quran is consistent with science.
      Firstly, as I have to keep repeating, atheism is not a view on anything except the evidence for the existence of gods. Nothing else. It does not determine their morality or philosophy of life. Religionists keep trotting out the assertion that we have no morals and will do whatever we feel like but it is no more valid than me saying that Muslims just want to blow up Westerners and go to paradise. It's not true and you know it.

Secondly, there is no proof of miraculous scientific revelation in the Quran. When Muslims try to show one, it can easily be shown why it is not miraculous. This is not rejecting "proof" but rebutting it. You are correct that the Quran is not a book of science, so Muslims should stop trying to make out that it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1 View Post
        They ask for scientific proof (as if the Quran is a book of science only) then when given the proof they reject it. I don't understand that.
        There is nothing strange about an ancient book containing "scientific" information. We find such things in Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, Roman, Mayan etc, texts. Man had been working out stuff about the world for centuries, much of it wrong, sometimes close and occasionally right. This, however, is different from selecting an ambiguous interpretation of a passage and insisting that it shows knowledge not available to man at the time.
        A good example is the expanding universe (51:47). Before 1929 when Edwin Hubble discovered that the universe was expanding, every translation used words referring to size. It was only after Hubble's discovery that translations started using words relating to expansion. Many modern apologists insist that the earlier translations were wrong and they should have meant expanding. Coincidence that they only realised this after science had made an actual discovery using observations and testable predictions? You decide.
        Quote a scientific miracle from the Quran and I will show why it is wrong (or at the very least show why there is a more likely explanation - remember that science does not deal in absolutes but in levels of confidence), with references. I will not ignore it.

I think the real question should be "why do Muslims ignore the scientific facts of, erm...science".

Comment

It is important to know what the word science means. It means using certain methods and tests and rules about reproduce-ability ad such.

Those "facts" in the Qu'ran about the nature and explanation of the natural world, are not made by scientific methods, therefore they are not science.

The word "science" actually means something specific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

This thread is about revelations in the Qu'ran which may or may not reach the same conclusion as science. Sometimes the same answer is given by revelation and science. Often, they contradict and a Muslim must deny the science.

This is a different topic from whether or not early Muslims were using good science. That has to be argued separately.

Comment

If you are referring to scientific "miracles", then that's because there are none. There's a lot of ginding patterns in meaningless things though.

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyCurious View Post
              There is nothing strange about an ancient book containing "scientific" information. We find such things in Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, Roman, Mayan etc, texts. Man had been working out stuff about the world for centuries, much of it wrong, sometimes close and occasionally right. This, however, is different from selecting an ambiguous interpretation of a passage and insisting that it shows knowledge not available to man at the time.
              A good example is the expanding universe (51:47). Before 1929 when Edwin Hubble discovered that the universe was expanding, every translation used words referring to size. It was only after Hubble's discovery that translations started using words relating to expansion. Many modern apologists insist that the earlier translations were wrong and they should have meant expanding. Coincidence that they only realised this after science had made an actual discovery using observations and testable predictions? You decide.
              Quote a scientific miracle from the Quran and I will show why it is wrong (or at the very least show why there is a more likely explanation - remember that science does not deal in absolutes but in levels of confidence), with references. I will not ignore it.

I think the real question should be "why do Muslims ignore the scientific facts of, erm...science".
              I think an even more real question would be "If the Qur'aan really does contain scientific miracles, why are they always discovered after the fact?"

Comment

Originally posted by reason12 View Post
                I think an even more real question would be "If the Qur'aan really does contain scientific miracles, why are they always discovered after the fact?"

But isn't that a stupid question?
                Allāhu akbar

Comment

Ah, man.. Shame I can't edit my post to something nicer.
                  Allāhu akbar

Comment

Originally posted by neighbour View Post
                    Ah, man.. Shame I can't edit my post to something nicer.
                    How is that stupid? If these miracles were really miracles, Muslims would have made these scientific predictions before they were actually discovered in real life.

Comment

Why do atheists ignore the scientific facts in the Quran?

Ignorence breeds like the flu

Comment

Originally posted by reason12 View Post
                        How is that stupid? If these miracles were really miracles, Muslims would have made these scientific predictions before they were actually discovered in real life.

You think that hasn't happened?
                        Allāhu akbar

Comment

Embryology?
                          Allāhu akbar

Comment

Originally Posted by reason12

That doesn't make sense
                            "Why Do We Fill Our Hearts With Everything But Allah And Expect Not To Fall Apart"

Comment

Originally posted by neighbour View Post
                              Embryology?
                              It's been proved wrong.

Anyone seen that video with Hamza getting schooled by a real embryoligist in Dublin.

He jumped on a bunch of atheists during a break at one of their conferences and tried to use all fancy dan language, but unfortunately, he picked on PZ Meyers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5rNtEdptaY

It didn't end well. Soon after, I recall seeing Hamza say he was stopping trying to prove this kind of stuff. It fails.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X