X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hjbananas
    replied
    Re: What does halal mean to you?

How much trust do you place in halal meat companies? Here in America we receive halal meat from all over the world including places like New Zealand. Is there a particular preference for meat that has been slaughtered closer to home?

Leave a comment:

• nonameakhi
    replied

Originally posted by hjbananas View Post
    Thank you for your response! As far a meat goes, what are your feelings about the stunning of animals before they are slaughtered? Do think they should be completely conscious or not? Also how do you feel about genetically modified foods?
    There were 2 studies done

1 in 1978 in Germany and 1 in 2005 by the French ministry of food and agriculture

both found that stunning causes more suffering to the animal. The French in particular did it to try and ban halal meat via the cruelty to animals perspective

there is an American called Temple Gardin (or Jardin) who is also an advocate for no stunning and religious slaughter if done properly as being less cruel

Islamically speaking I believe under the welfare rights of animals to be slaughtered if you stun its not halal

Leave a comment:

• hjbananas
    replied

Thank you for your response! As far a meat goes, what are your feelings about the stunning of animals before they are slaughtered? Do think they should be completely conscious or not? Also how do you feel about genetically modified foods?

Leave a comment:

• UFM
    replied

Salam

Halal is an Arabic word meaning lawful or permissible. It is for any object or an action which is permissible to use or engage in, according to Islamic law. The term covers and designates not only food and drink as permissible according to Islamic law, but also all matters of daily life. The Islam i follow is the one of the Holy prophet pbuh and his companions. As i am now living in a muslim country all food available is halal. But when i was living in a non muslim country i would expect the meat to be prepared in a halal manner i.e. that the animal is slaughtered with the name of Allah. Halal butchers are safe for this purpose. Dont know anything about US organic standards at all. Small local farms are preferable to large factories of mass production, as the quality is much better on smal farms

Leave a comment:

• kanashto
    replied

Islamic Branch: Sunni - Although generally there is commonly as a reality 1 major branch Sunna and a smaller branch Shia (they are like 5% only). Muslims prefer to not label branches because all we do is follow Allah's commands and the Prophet's words and examples. Things the Prophet did are called a sunna and the same word is for Sunni Muslims who are on that path. The other so called branches are people who do new innovative activities in worship like dancing in the mosques in circles while chanting prayers are making up stuff the prophet never did. So why is this important? We believe the prophet is the best example to follow and when someone tries out a new worship like the dancing I mentioned it is as if they claim to know something the prophet has not done or what he should have done with regards to worship. If you read this far: thank you

What I expect: I expect it to be up to par with the halal standard which you can easily research its basically conditions of the animal and etc ....

Overlaps with Us Organic standards? So you're asking if there is a difference between halal and non halal organically or biologically? What matters here is that we believe in the halal method of slaughter and we only consume meats for example chicken/cow/goat/lamb based on that. Perhaps you can go do some biological research and if you actually discover that there is physically no difference that will not be applicable to our situation regarding your question because what is significant to us is the slaughter method.

Lastly do you have a preference for small local farms or larger standardized halal meat factories? Well personally the word standardized seems attractive if it is the correct standard

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlHaroTKFsw

Leave a comment:

• hjbananas
    started a topic What does halal mean to you?

What does halal mean to you?

Hello everyone! I am doing a research project for my anthropology of Islam class on the meaning of halal. It would really help me out if I could get a few different opinions on this message board. First if you could state the branch of Islam to which you identify and then tell me exactly what you expect when you buy halal foods, particularly meats. Do you find that halal overlaps with the US Organic standards at all? Lastly do you have a preference for small local farms or larger standardized halal meat factories? This info will be completely anonymous and a great help to me. Thank you so much!

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X