Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Duas really work? Do they change laws of cause and effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Duas really work? Do they change laws of cause and effect?

Salaam

Allah swt has set the laws of the universe which do not change and people have free will. The laws of nature are constant and people die and get killed. So if Allah wanted to intervene he would and save them. My question is do Duas really work or are they just done to make people feel better etc? even though Allah does not intervene in the laws of causality to actually answer such Dua's asking for a job, etc?

Please can you not talk about how some Duas are answered immediately, some are saved etc. My question is in relation to Allah intervening in the laws, events etc to answer Duas, assuming if he does.

If everything in this world is due to cause and effect and Allah leaves that to happen why would he intervene in those laws to answer Dua of a person for things such as jobs, finance etc when everything else is left to cause and effect such as accidents, calamities etc? or if someone does Dua to cure cancer how would Allah intervene or will he allow the disease to progress as at is etc . Millions have had cancer and died and many of them would have done Dua. How does he intervene when one does Dua or does he not intervene as this would mean changing the laws, cause and effect etc.

thanks.

Re: Do Duas really work? Do they change laws of cause and effect?

In another Hadith, it is reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Nothing can change the Qadar except the Du`a’…" This Hadith is reported by several authorities on Hadith, such as Imam Ahmad, Ibn Hibban, Al-Hakim, and Ibn Majah… etc. Most of the scholars of Hadith consider it an acceptable Hadith.
    Sabr... is like swallowing something bitter without showing any-Imam Junaid

Comment

Originally posted by Abdullah Fatih View Post
      In another Hadith, it is reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Nothing can change the Qadar except the Du`a’…" This Hadith is reported by several authorities on Hadith, such as Imam Ahmad, Ibn Hibban, Al-Hakim, and Ibn Majah… etc. Most of the scholars of Hadith consider it an acceptable Hadith.
      That actually refers to a "lower" level of Qadr. The highest level, the unchanged level, is the Preserved Tablet that never changes.

Comment

Originally posted by reason12 View Post
        That actually refers to a "lower" level of Qadr. The highest level, the unchanged level, is the Preserved Tablet that never changes.
        You are correct.
        From what I know, in the Preserved Tablet it is already written that you would make dua and how the outcome of that dua will be.
        Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
          You are correct.
          From what I know, in the Preserved Tablet it is already written that you would make dua and how the outcome of that dua will be.
          ^ this, so whatever is written means that ur dua altered it

So yes dua does help, but as they say be careful what u wish for ...
          My ♥ only lets الله‎ in

Comment

Well if the following Report which is attributed to Hazart Umar (RA) is authentic then we can assume that everything which is written can be changed

: حدثنا معاذ بن هشام قال : حدثنا أبي ، عن أبي حكيمة ، عن أبي عثمان النهدي ، أن عمر بن الخطاب قال وهو يطوف بالبيت ويبكي : اللهم إن كنت كتبت علي شقوة أو ذنبا فامحه ، فإنك تمحو ما تشاء وتثبت . وعندك أم الكتاب ، فاجعله سعادة ومغفرة .
            Umaar ibn Khttab used to say while he was doing Twaaf of the House and crying: Oh God If you written upon me misfortune or sins then efface them for verily You efface what you will and keep what You will and with you is the the Mother of the Book. So make it good fortune and forgiveness."

Imam Tabari has placed a reference to this under the heading

"And others say in reference to this Verse that God can change all of that which He wills and keep all he Wills (including the Mother of the Book)."

The Verse being referred to is

(
            يمحوا الله ما يشاء ويثبت وعنده أم الكتاب ( 39 )
            So according to some Dua can change everything. If you think of it, nothing is impossible for God. He can do anything and everything. So He can change even what He writes in the Mother of the Book. And God knows best.

Reference

Tafsir Tabari
            Watch those eyes

Comment

Anyway what I purposed in the post above was just a thought. According to most Lawh Mahfooz cannot be changed. Or at least that is what Islamqa supports. Here is what it says.

With regard to the effect of obedience and sin on changing the divine decree, you know that that which is in al-Lawh al-Mahfooz can never be changed. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried.” Narrated and classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi (2516), from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas. As for the pages which are in the hands of the angels, Allaah may command His angels to change it because of an act of worship that a Muslim does or because of a sin that he commits, but in the end it will not be anything other than that which was decreed from eternity. This is indicated by the verse in which Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah blots out what He wills and confirms (what He wills). And with Him is the Mother of the Book (Al‑Lawh Al‑Mahfooz)”

[al-Ra’d 13:39]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) urged us to do some acts of worship which have an effect of increasing a person’s lifespan, such as upholding ties of kinship, and he said that du’aa’ can repel the divine decree. What this means is that Allaah knew from the beginning that His slave So and so would do this act of worship, so He decreed for him a long life or a blessed provision, and au contraire a person may commit a sin because of which he is deprived of provision, and Allaah knew that and decreed it from eternity and decreed it according to His knowledge. Allaah does not compel anyone to obey Him or disobey Him.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) summed this up in one hadeeth:

It was narrated that Thawbaan said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Nothing increases one’s lifespan except righteousness and nothing repels the divine decree except du’aa’, and a man may be deprived of provision by a sin that he commits.”

Al-Busayri said in Misbaah al-Zujaajah (no. 33)

I asked our Shaykh Abu’l-Fadl al-‘Iraaqi (may Allaah have mercy on him) about this hadeeth and he said: This is a hasan hadeeth. End quote.

It was also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

It was narrated from Anas ibn Maalik that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever would like his rizq (provision) to be increased and his life to be extended, should uphold the ties of kinship.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5640) and Muslim (2557).

Al-Tabaraani narrated with his isnaad from Abu ‘Uthmaan al-Nahdi, that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab said when he was circumambulating the Ka’bah and weeping: “O Allaah, if You have decreed that I should be doomed or commit sin, then erase it, for You erase whatever You will, and You confirm (whatever You will), and with You is the Mother of the Book, so make it happiness and forgiveness.”

Although, this answer shows that your life and Rizq can be increased or decreased.
              Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
                Anyway what I purposed in the post above was just a thought. According to most Lawh Mahfooz cannot be changed. Or at least that is what Islamqa supports. Here is what it says.

Although, this answer shows that your life and Rizq can be increased or decreased.

That's what I was referring to.
                But in Lawh Mahfooz, it is already written that the Rizq will change, and how it will change.
                Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

Thank you so much for the brilliant replies. I really appreciate it that.

Does this mean that if one does Dua for a job, finance etc then the laws of nature and cause and affect mean that nothing happens? What I mean by that is does Allah intervene and create situations/circumstance in order to accept such Duas in the world or do Duas for a job, a spouse etc don't work as Allah leaves everything the way it is in terms of cause and effect i.e you work hard to get a job etc but Allah plays no part in assisting you?

Can someone clarify that?

Comment

Does this mean that if one does Dua for a job, finance etc then the laws of nature and cause and affect mean that nothing happens?
                    No, it means he is more likely to get the job then if he did not supplicate.
                    What I mean by that is does Allah intervene and create situations/circumstance in order to accept such Duas in the world or do Duas for a job, a spouse etc don't work as Allah leaves everything the way it is in terms of cause and effect i.e you work hard to get a job etc but Allah plays no part in assisting you?
                    How Allah (SWT) chooses to accept your Dua and what the inner workings of it are in respect to what He changes and How He changes is only known to Him. His ways of doing are not understandable by humans since He has clearly mentioned in the Quran that there is no one like Him. It only follows that how He does things is also unique to Him.

For you it should be enough to know that if you make Dua' your chances of what you seek increase as opposed to if you do not. And as a side note. Working hard to get a job or working longer to make money do not always work. There are millions of people who end up getting a job without doing much while others labor day and night and are still jobless. Similarly, make work day and night in fields and barely make enough money to feed their familes while others have business and only work 8 hours but are so rich it is not even funny.
                    Watch those eyes

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X