Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women Voting in Islam

Assalamu alaikum my dear brothers and sisters,

I was conversing with someone who is close to joining the deen but he asked me about some particular issues one of which is the right of women to vote. I told him women could always vote in Islam but when he asked me for proof, I honestly couldn't give it. Any help? Jazakallah khairan. May Allah guide us all

Re: Women Voting in Islam

:wswrwb:

Vote for what?
    Democracy?, that's not something Islamic, so you're not gonna find proof for that, in fact you'll sooner find proof that no Muslim, man or woman, is allowed to vote for Democracy.
    So what sort of voting are you talking about ?
    Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit

Comment

Not democracy brother. I mean sort of early Islam voting for a Khalifa or something like this. To my limited knowledge the Rashidun were a small assembly of 'voters'.

Comment

In that context, nobody votes.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
          So there is no kind of voting whatsoever in an Islamic system? If so, how did we go about choosing a Khalifa? Salam

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed ibn Adan View Post
            So there is no kind of voting whatsoever in an Islamic system? If so, how did we go about choosing a Khalifa? Salam
            With the first 4 Khulifa it was different each time.
            With Abu Bakr the Prophet :saw: said the people would choose him and they did, the people gave bayah to him pretty much on the spot.
            'Umar was chosen by Abu Bakr
            Uthman was selected by a shura set in place by 'Umar
            And Ali I can't remeber

I could have mixed them up a bit, but not all were voted in.

With later Khulifa some became khalifa through inheritance, there were many different ways it happened
            Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit

Comment

The idea of 'choosing' a leader needs to be expanded.

In the UK, as an example, we don't get elect the Prime Minister.

Comment

The women in the history of Islam also gave the bay'ah to the prophet :saw:, wouldn't that be similar?

"O Prophet! When believing women come to you to give you the Bay’ah (pledge of allegiance), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e. by making illegal children belonging to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in any Ma'ruf (Islamic Monotheism and all that which Islam ordains) then accept their Bay’ah (pledge of allegiance), and ask Allah to forgive them, Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful". [H.Q 60:12]
                Last edited by serenemuslimah; 20-10-13, 11:29 PM.
                [CENTER][COLOR="#cc3366"]I asked Allah’s Messenger ṣallallāhu 'alayhi wa sallam (peace and blessings of Allāh be upon him) which deed was best.”
                He (the Holy Prophet) replied: “The prayer at its appointed hour”[/COLOR]. [Sahih Muslim][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                  :up:

Islam not like democracy where any two idiots can vote out the genius
                  "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Originally posted by serenemuslimah View Post
                    The women in the history of Islam also gave the bay'ah to the prophet :saw:, wouldn't that be similar?

"O Prophet! When believing women come to you to give you the Bay’ah (pledge of allegiance), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e. by making illegal children belonging to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in any Ma'ruf (Islamic Monotheism and all that which Islam ordains) then accept their Bay’ah (pledge of allegiance), and ask Allah to forgive them, Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful". [H.Q 60:12]
                    So how exactly would I put it to the friend I am speaking with? And what exactly is bay'ah? What does it refer to in the ayah?
                    So in an official Islamic State, does the average citizen not vote for anything? Is it all up to the Khalifah and the Ulema?
                    May Allah bless you all for expanding my knowledge, Salam

Comment

So how exactly would I put it to the friend I am speaking with? And what exactly is bay'ah? What does it refer to in the ayah?
                      So in an official Islamic State, does the average citizen not vote for anything? Is it all up to the Khalifah and the Ulema?

Comment

:wswrwb: in a nutshell.

The rules for society have already been set down by Allah ta ala and his messenger :saw: so there is no need for everyman and his dog to give their two cents.
                        "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
                          :wswrwb: in a nutshell.

The rules for society have already been set down by Allah ta ala and his messenger :saw: so there is no need for everyman and his dog to give their two cents.
                          Jazakum Allahu Khairan for everyone that has helped me. May Allah bless you all, Wassalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Comment

alhamdulillah, wa anta amin :wswrwb:

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

I would like someone to answer this question more fully.

I see some people criticising democracy, but I want to know specifically what system of leadership model would be used to ensure a good society. Will it be based upon inheritance, or some sort of council of elders to decide upon the leaders.

There are clearly major drawbacks with using hereditary, as the number of tyrants throughout history can show,

How to make sure that a leader doesn't get corrupted by power, for example.

I would like to know if there is a specific system proposed to ensure such things.

If anyone sees fit to reply, please don't post a link to anywhere which quotes lots of scriptures. I hope that this can be explained in a simple way to an outsider.

Comment

Working...
                              X