No announcement yet.

Mortgage situation? Do I sell my house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage situation? Do I sell my house?

Asalamwalikum Everyone,
    I am a recent revert to Islam Alhumdililah.
    I recently found out that paying for an interest based mortgage is Haram and considered a major sin. I’ve owned this house for 7 years now and have my parents (cannot support themselves) living with me and my wife and 2 children. Alhumdililah I am able to afford my house quite easily. But I do pay interest every month because it is a traditional interest based mortgage that you find in North America. I’ve been looking for halal mortgages in Canada (where I live). And all of them have a queue for obtaining one in about 18-24 months for now, I guess a lot of people are going the halal mortgage route.

My question is this: given my current situation, should I sell my house? I do not have any hardship paying the mortgage but I’m afraid islamically it’s haram to be paying interest. What should I do? My parents live in my basement, so my wife and parents have their separate spaces entirely. Alhumdililah but if I sold the house, I would need to support them but my wife wants to live in her own space. I want to do what is islamically correct. I do not want to pay interest but I do not want to cause hardship for my family.

Assalamo alaykum

Best is to ask local qualified imams, shaykhs, business owners, get them 2-3 into house as guests and get their opinion inshaAllah. I think they will be willing to help.

I've seen a TV fatwa that where is not possible to lend halal money and if needed the riba is OK in that circumstance.
    Some oppose probably.
    You are in a specific situation, only some months left.
    I do not know-there is maybe an option to pay in advance to break the interest-you pay for example 2 years in advance, your friends lends you non interest money.

Consider best with the learned locals from jamah.

Recite morning and evening duas please, duas before sleep and every other dua.

Recite often Allahumma khirli wakhtarli.

Recite estegfar, shukrulillah, salawat ibrahimi, subhanallahi walhamdulillahi wa la ilahe illallahu wallahu akbar wa la hawla wa la quwwate illa billahil aliyyil adheem, la ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu lahul mulku wa lahul hamdu wa huwa aoa kulli shayin qadeer (find in Arabic script using Google) often throught the day. In hundrads at least.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...UKEwjkmJ77grv1 AhXr_7sIHZOdBLYQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3LGDWGpCOFI_m ljNrB7awe

And

https://archive.org/details/MominKaH.../n159/mode/2up

Maybe after some time you'll buy a home near yours for parents. You must be kind to them.

With increased ibadah you'll get helped inshaAllah and augmented in many many ways and they too might convert to Islam. Be to them as best as you can and to your wife too and children, be loving, caring, merciful. Study deen with them. Buy good gifts. Improve your productivity. If getting mashaAllah enough income, get children tutors, sports trainers, extracurricular activities etc. Stay away from laziness and excessive TV. Get involved in social activities of jamah, give sadaqah and sadaqah jariya, visit gym and library. Be a best husband, seduce your wife well again and again, have best relations. Get another degree, course, diploma etc. Learn Arabic. Learn daily new duas and implement them.

Learn dua noor before getting to masjid and on sujuud to be recited (prophets saws dua).
    Last edited by Murid; 29-03-22, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Recite often duas for yourself and other momins, like
      Allahumma gfirli warhamni wa lil mominina wal mominat. Find arabic words please.

This dua will increase income, help repay dept inshaAllah and reap many other benefits.

Tell the wife to recite and children too, friends, neighbors, give it at local masjid.
      At least 10x or 100x mornings and evenings. It us a very short dua.
      Start with besmellah, tasbeeh, like subhanallahi walhamdulillahe wa la ilaha illallahu wallahu akbar wa la hawla wa la quwwata illa billahil aliyyil adheem+la ilaha illalahu vahdahu la sharika lahu lahul mulku wa lahul hamdu wa huwa ala kulli shayin qader, estegfar-best lomger one (like astagfurullah al adheem alladhee la ilaha illa huwal hayyul qayyumu wa atubu ilayh), salawat Ibrahimi, then this dua 10x or 100x or 1000x (best raised hands) then salawat Ibrahimi then ameen then salawat Ibrahimi

You should recite asma ul husna too, like Ya Allahu Ya Barru Ya Khafe Ya Ghaniyy Ya Fattahu Ya Wahhabu Ya Razzaqu Ya Kareem Ya M'uTi Ya Jawadu Ya Wasi'u Ya Dhul Fadlil Adheem

Please again find Arabic pronouncing sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bas117 View Post
        Asalamwalikum Everyone,
        I am a recent revert to Islam Alhumdililah.
        I recently found out that paying for an interest based mortgage is Haram and considered a major sin. I’ve owned this house for 7 years now and have my parents (cannot support themselves) living with me and my wife and 2 children. Alhumdililah I am able to afford my house quite easily. But I do pay interest every month because it is a traditional interest based mortgage that you find in North America. I’ve been looking for halal mortgages in Canada (where I live). And all of them have a queue for obtaining one in about 18-24 months for now, I guess a lot of people are going the halal mortgage route.

My question is this: given my current situation, should I sell my house? I do not have any hardship paying the mortgage but I’m afraid islamically it’s haram to be paying interest. What should I do? My parents live in my basement, so my wife and parents have their separate spaces entirely. Alhumdililah but if I sold the house, I would need to support them but my wife wants to live in her own space. I want to do what is islamically correct. I do not want to pay interest but I do not want to cause hardship for my family.
        Asalaamu Alaikum, It is best to consult with your local trustworthy Sheikh about this. Please visit your local Masjid/Islamic centre and set up a meeting with your local Scholar/s to discuss this and get their advice. Also ask of Allah during these blessed days and nights to help you as you do not want to go to war with Allah by continuing to pay the interest based Mortgage. Also continue to look after your parents and serve them well in order to please Allah.

May Allah make it easy for you and give you the best solution to your issue. Ameen.
        10 steps to increase our imaan(faith)
        http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192926
        Forty Good Deeds to do Everyday!
        http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230798

Comment

Two aspects stand out : i) when you purchased the house,you contracted a mortgage loan and were not a Muslim . ii) Alhamdullilah this house enables you to care for your parents as well as your family .Disrupting your parents at this stage and who probably depend on your general support is not advisable. As a revert,you will shun all new interest bearing transactions in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by i.carrim View Post
            Two aspects stand out : i) when you purchased the house,you contracted a mortgage loan and were not a Muslim . ii) Alhamdullilah this house enables you to care for your parents as well as your family .Disrupting your parents at this stage and who probably depend on your general support is not advisable. As a revert,you will shun all new interest bearing transactions in the future.
            Dont speak without knowledge on the issue

Your mistaken

Comment

Let us read what the knowledgeable has to write.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X