Question of the specifics on a certain Hadith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of the specifics on a certain Hadith

Asalam o Alikum, this is my first time writing here, I am a revert and i’ve known of the Hadith stating “He who imitates a people is one of them.” for a while since reverting. However i’ve never clearly understood to what extent this means so i just wanted to post a few questions here to see if anyone could clearify a few things for me or tell me where to look for answers on these specific things, thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this!
    my questions are:
    1. to what does this pertain to clothing, for example if I were to wear a dress (at home only, i wear abaya outside) which were to be from a culture that was not a muslim culture, but did not do it as a way of trying to blend in with them (since only my mahrams would see me, not the general public) and only wore it at home because i found the style of clothing beautiful but not because i was trying to imitate the people of culture in which it comes from, is this still considered imitating them? It confuses me a bit as to if it would be considered imitation because of the fact that i saw someone on IslamQA once state that cutting your hair to have bangs was ok if it was only due to liking the hairstyle but if it was trying to imitate kafir then it was not, so basically I just want to know if wearing clothes from a culture that is mainly non muslim is haram or not, in a case where you are not doing in an attempt to imitate and look like them but only because you like the clothing itself, and as i said a bit earlier this clothing would only be worn at home because i wear abaya and khimar whenever outside, i don’t know if that detail about it only being in the presence of family matters but i figured i should include it just incase, thank you so much for taking the time to read this! and i’m sorry if my question is a bit stupid I just sincerely don’t know and wanted to see if anyone here had a knowledgeable answer so that if it is haram i will not buy any clothes like this.

salam alaykum wa rahmat allah
    if everyone wears those clothes not just the kuffar then it no longer imitating and there is no problem as long as the clothes not forbidden
    if those clothes are only worn by the kuffar then you should avoid them
    at home you can wear whatever you want my sister but if your mahrams are around you need to avoid exposing or short or tight clothes and wear baggy clothes
    and allah knows best

Comment

Imitation is by intention.
      You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X