Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Islamic Calendar is WRONG?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Islamic Calendar is WRONG?

    So I came across this youtube channel a while ago, the sister makes an argument that the Islamic calendar we're using now is wrong, that its not actually supposed to be a lunar calendar, but a lunisolar calendar. This of course has a lot of major implications, suggesting that the year AH we think it is, is wrong, that when we celebrate Ramadan, Eid, etc, is wrong, that our interpretations of when major events in Islamic history took place are wrong. I've tried looking up more info about this, if theres more resources, I couldn't find much, but it seems like the movement is growing somewhat. The channel only has 3 videos, I think its just run by the sister, and she makes the videos herself, she's still active in responding to the comments though.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeb...MmTBELuAw3NIFQ

    What do you guys think?


  • #2
    Interesting.
    You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

    You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't want to say anything bad about the sister because she clearly put effort in her video, but to me it's pure waffle. Some problems with the video:

      1) Numerology and the Qu'ran and/or numerical patterns. You can literally find any pattern you want if you look hard enough, this by itself is not daleel. And it has no significance in our deen. Are there certain numerical patterns that could be considered miraculous? Probably, Allahu alam.

      2) We have a rich history of scholars and students of knowledge studying the Qu'ran, one that goes 1400 years back. None of them could figure this out? None of the sahaba said anything about the name of the months? Nope, they weren't that stupid. The arabs historically had lunar calendar and the lunar cycle causes the months to cycle through the seasons over 33/34 years. They named the months based on the events that were taking place and the names stuck even if they didn't match the current season. There's no conspiracy.

      3) The biggest problem is her lack of strong evidence. Matching the verses slightly or recognizing the months are named after seasons isn't much. The same verses were used by the sahaba to create the current Islamic calendar, why should we take her word over theirs?

      Anyways, I don't bother with these types of videos, they all disregard the history of Islam and also implies our scholars and sahaba were clueless indirectly if not directly (in some cases).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Amuslim123 View Post
        I don't want to say anything bad about the sister because she clearly put effort in her video, but to me it's pure waffle. Some problems with the video:

        1) Numerology and the Qu'ran and/or numerical patterns. You can literally find any pattern you want if you look hard enough, this by itself is not daleel. And it has no significance in our deen. Are there certain numerical patterns that could be considered miraculous? Probably, Allahu alam.

        2) We have a rich history of scholars and students of knowledge studying the Qu'ran, one that goes 1400 years back. None of them could figure this out? None of the sahaba said anything about the name of the months? Nope, they weren't that stupid. The arabs historically had lunar calendar and the lunar cycle causes the months to cycle through the seasons over 33/34 years. They named the months based on the events that were taking place and the names stuck even if they didn't match the current season. There's no conspiracy.

        3) The biggest problem is her lack of strong evidence. Matching the verses slightly or recognizing the months are named after seasons isn't much. The same verses were used by the sahaba to create the current Islamic calendar, why should we take her word over theirs?

        Anyways, I don't bother with these types of videos, they all disregard the history of Islam and also implies our scholars and sahaba were clueless indirectly if not directly (in some cases).
        Ya I had similar thoughts.

        Though the one thing that sort of caught my attention, was how she mentioned that they couldn't track seasons with a lunar calendar. So that must have been really difficult for farmers, did they have a separate calendar or something?

        Comment


        • #5
          Chinese calendar

          Comment


          • #6
            Finally a real mujadida has come to revive true islam.

            Lunar calendar is connected with Islam. On basis of which we perform hajj, fast, eids. For Seasons people used approximation in Lunar. To say people couldnt work out seasons without Solar is bit thick of her. Try this out for yourself. What Islamic month it is today. And go out side ... If it has been sunny for few days its summer. If plants blooming its spring. And if its raining and cloudy and snowing winter. And if leafs are falling n yellow its autumn. Seasons are experienced and u dont need solar calendar to tell you what the season is. You can never know what solar calendar is and still know what season it is. In fact you dont need to be following any calendar and you will know what season it is. Muslims didnt use solar calendar cause they experienced seasons. And followed lunar n made seasonal decisions based on experience.

            Shes talking rubbish. Flipping make science and everything western islamic or atleast mix it in islamic so we can tell whities we too are sophisticated in science . my religion is science calculation approved n namaz is yoga because guru mushrik said it. Flipping idiots seeking validation of others for islam so they can feel they are on par with weestern world and their religion is seen compatible with west ideals.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mufti Cheesecake View Post

              Ya I had similar thoughts.

              Though the one thing that sort of caught my attention, was how she mentioned that they couldn't track seasons with a lunar calendar. So that must have been really difficult for farmers, did they have a separate calendar or something?
              Just experience and looking at the environment I assume. Will have to look into it further.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Amuslim123 View Post

                Just experience and looking at the environment I assume. Will have to look into it further.
                SkippedPath

                The thing is for farmers its not just enough to know what season it is now, but they have to be able to predict when the next season will come.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mufti Cheesecake View Post

                  SkippedPath

                  The thing is for farmers its not just enough to know what season it is now, but they have to be able to predict when the next season will come.
                  Brother i have lived in Pakistan. We did farming... Crop rotation ... We knew weather is changing ... It rained for a week or two time to till field ... Thats all ... No one relied on fore knowledge ... I mean they had general idea season lasts this long and then they looked for changes in weather etc ... Basic rule was its this month, season lasts this long

                  Comment

                  Collapse

                  Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                  Working...
                  X