Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we as Muslims considered to be "Slaves to prophet Muhammed PBUH"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we as Muslims considered to be "Slaves to prophet Muhammed PBUH"?

Assalamu alykum,
    I came across this ayah in Surat Az-Zumar Verse 53 and here's the translation:

Proclaim (O dear Prophet Mohammed – peace and blessings be upon him), “O my * slaves, who have wronged themselves, do not lose hope in Allah’s mercy; indeed Allah forgives all sins; indeed He only is the Oft Forgiving, the Most Merciful.” (All Muslims are truly the slaves of Prophet Mohammed – peace and blessings be upon him.)

Aren't we supposed to be slaves/worshippers to Allah SWT and not to the prophet if that makes sense? So that confused me.

Wa alaikum Salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

That verse refers to Allah speaking. The bottom bracket is incorrect
    "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

The Prophet (peace be upon him) is not mentioned here:

https://quran.com/39/53

Comment

Originally posted by zainab98 View Post
        Assalamu alykum,

Proclaim (O dear Prophet Mohammed – peace and blessings be upon him), “O my * slaves, who have wronged themselves, do not lose hope in Allah’s mercy; indeed Allah forgives all sins; indeed He only is the Oft Forgiving, the Most Merciful.” (All Muslims are truly the slaves of Prophet Mohammed – peace and blessings be upon him.)

Aren't we supposed to be slaves/worshippers to Allah SWT and not to the prophet if that makes sense? So that confused me.
        Where did you get that translation from? Give the name of the person who translated it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post

Where did you get that translation from? Give the name of the person who translated it.

Ahmed Raza Khan
          https://qurano.com/en/39-az-zumar/verse-53/

Comment

The barelvi?
            "My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

The barelvi?
              The Heretic; the Lunatic, may Allah give him what he deserves.
              You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post

The Heretic; the Lunatic, may Allah give him what he deserves.
                subhanAllah I'd be afraid of a stone falling on me from the sky if I translated that verse in such a way.

@op dont take your deen from such wicked worthless people

Comment

Assalamu alykum,

Wa 'alaykum al-Salam,

the word 'Abd (slave / servant) does not necessitate worship ('Ibada) in the Arabic language like for example in this Aya:

{ وَأَنْكِحُواْ ٱلأَيَامَىٰ مِنْكُمْ وَٱلصَّالِحِينَ مِنْ عِبَادِكُمْ وَإِمائِكُمْ إِن يَكُونُواْ فُقَرَآءَ يُغْنِهِمُ ٱللَّهُ مِن فَضْلِهِ وَٱللَّهُ وَاسِعٌ عَلِيمٌ }

{ And enjoin in marriage those among you who are not married, and your deserving slaves and bondwomen; if they are poor, Allah will make them wealthy by His munificence; and Allah is Most Capable, All Knowing. }

[24:32]

'Abd may also indicate obediance and being a follower or servitude.
                  It may however also indicate being a worshiper of someone.

Based upon the above one can say the following:
                  Yes, we're the servants of our beloved Prophet - sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam - with the meaning that we obey his commands and are his followers. We ask Allah ta’ala to have mercy upon us for the sake of this connection and obedience.
                  Scholars like Imam al-Sarsari al-Hanbali (d. 656 AH) - who was highly praised by the likes of Imam Ibn Rajab (d. 795 AH) (including his poetry!) - did describe themselves with this meaning of 'Abd in relation to the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam.

And we're slaves of Allah ta'ala without any partners with the meaning that we’re his worshipers and completely dependent on Him and created by Him.

As for the translation / interpretation of the Aya in Surat al-Zumar:

It's a literal translation, because the Aya doesn’t say "Qul li 'Ibadi" ("say to my slaves"), but rather "Qul ya 'Ibadi" ("say o my slaves"), even though slaves here goes back to Allah ta’ala in reality.

The Shaykh Ahmad Ridha Khan (d. 1340 AH) wrote Kanzul Iman in Urdu and not in English and I'm sure the original statement is more nuanced.

Most of those who attack the Shaykh do so out of ignorance or because they're Najdi minded!
                  The Shaykh may have some exotic views (while others before him also held these views!), but thanks to his efforts disrespecting the Messenger of Allah - sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam - was not spread among the people of the subcontinent!
                  This point alone is enough not to attack him for anyone believing in Allah ta’ala and His Messenger, sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam.

Comment

Try Tafseer ibn Katheer.

https://kalamullah.com/tafsir-ibn-kathir.html

About Tafseer Ibn Katheer

"...Tafseer Ibn Katheer

His full name is Abu’l-Fida’ Ismaa’eel ibn Katheer al-Dimashqi, d. 774 AH.

His Tafseer is entitled Tafseer al-Qur’aan il-‘Azeem.

Al-Suyooti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said concerning this Tafseer: Nothing like it has ever been written.

Tadhkirat al-Huffaaz, p. 534.

This Tafseer is based on commentary by quoting texts – verses and ahaadeeth – and its fame is second to the fame of al-Tabari among later scholars.

It is written in an excellent and easy style which is not longwinded or boring, or too short and boring..."1

For other explanations see:

https://kalamullah.com/al-quran.html

About Ahmad Raza Khan

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1502...is-or-barelvis

Allaah Knows Best.

-----------
                    1. https://islamqa.info/en/answers/4377...seer-al-tabari

Last edited by Munabbih; 27-06-20, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I think the verse means that Allah swt wants the holy prophet s.a.w to proclaim a message from Allah swt.
                      Therefore 'o my slaves' would be the words of Allah swt not the prophet.

The prophet just passed the message onto the ummah.

Comment

Working...
                      X