Is the jizya considered a tax?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the jizya considered a tax?

I'm listening to more lectures and the topic of jizya briefly came up. I understand this as a payment from the non Muslims, but after talking about the jizya, the speaker stated that rasool Allah (pbuh) was against taxes. That was a little confusing because the idea of jizya seems identical to the tax system to a certain extent. I was just wanting some clarification on the difference between taxes and jizya,

The jizyah is a payment for the protection by the Islamic State within its borders. If you want to say it was a tax or fee. The bottom line is that it takes money from the State to protect its borders and citizens. But once the Islamic State cannot honor their end of the agreement then they forfeit the right to take jizyah from the non Muslms.
    Last edited by Musbah; 14-03-19, 04:18 PM.
    "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Interesting.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here with the OP...

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
        Interesting.

Yes it could be a non Muslim but we answer and don't fear the blame of the blamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
          Interesting.

Yea and the pattern I'm beginning to see is that people on this site get defensive about answering questions on the religion. Not only that, but people who don't plan on contributing to the topic decide its a good idea to post anyways.

If I'm listening to a series of lectures by a person who is dead, clearly I can't ask him about topics he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Musbah View Post

Yes it could be a non Muslim but we answer and don't fear the blame of the blamer.
            I'm a Muslim but even if a non Muslim were to ask these questions, would it matter? What's wrong with educating people. I know what jizya is. I was just confused by the difference between "tax" and "jizya" since the speaker made it a point to state that the prophet (pbuh) was against taxes. I'll go and relisten to the lecture just so I can point it out here.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenTicket View Post

I'm a Muslim but even if a non Muslim were to ask these questions, would it matter? What's wrong with educating people. I know what jizya is. I was just confused by the difference between "tax" and "jizya" since the speaker made it a point to state that the prophet (pbuh) was against taxes.
              Apparently to me it didn't matter since I am the one who answers your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenTicket View Post

Yea and the pattern I'm beginning to see is that people on this site get defensive about answering questions on the religion. Not only that, but people who don't plan on contributing to the topic decide its a good idea to post anyways.

If I'm listening to a series of lectures by a person who is dead, clearly I can't ask him about topics he's talking about.
                Interesting.

Comment

For those that are really "interested", skip to the 27 minute mark to see what I was talking about.

https://archive.org/details/Anwar_Al...victory_02.mp3

Comment

I'm a lay Muslim not a scholar but my understanding was always that jizya and zakat are taxes as it is the responsibility of the Islamic state to collect them and in the absence of Islamic rule there is no jizya (though zakat then becomes an individual obligation that we have to carry out individually as the state is no longer there to collect and distribute it on our behalf). There is also another tax under Islamic rule called something like Kharraj which is a type of land tax though I don't know much about it beyond that. So I find it odd that an Islamic speaker would say that the Prophet (saw) was against taxes. It could mean that Islam is against specific type of taxes such as VAT or other types of taxes that we come across under kufr systems or perhaps the speaker didn't define jizya or zakat as taxes and perceives that they come under a different category but I always thought they were taxes myself.
                    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Working...
                    X