X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandad View Post
    '

As-Salâmu ‘alaykum, sister.

The following is taken from a monograph entitled: ‘Wahhabism, Salafism and Islamism: Who Is The Enemy?’, written by Doctor Ahmad Moussalli; Professor of Political Science and Islamic Studies at the American University of Beirut. He writes:

‘'Salafism started as a trend that finds in the concept of al-salaf al-salih (the pious predecessors) the instrument to either understand the true interpretation and practice of Islam or to reject the cumulative experience of the Muslim community.

‘'All formations of salafism are based on reforming individuals and communities on the basis of returning to the pure Islam of the Qur’an and prophetic sunna as understood and practiced by al-salaf al-salih. Like the Wahhabis, other salafists believe that the trajectory of the Islamic communities after the pious salaf moved rather into diverse forms of polytheism (shirk), reprehensible innovation (bid‘a), and superstition (khurafa). Thus, neglecting ‘the purist’ interpretation of Islam, that of al-salaf al-salih, is tantamount to neglecting Islam itself. Consequently, all religious, intellectual, social, doctrinal, political conflicts have resulted from the failure to follow the method of al-salaf al-salih.

‘'If this is the case then, only the salafists are true Muslims; for they believe that only the salafist method is the method of Ahl al-Hadith/Sunna, and consequently belong to the ‘saved’ sect or al-firqa al-najiya. The Salafist da‘wa in its original –- but not the original Wahhabi-form –- centres on peaceful guidance away from corruptions that have affected pure religious beliefs and practices. It focuses on teaching ‘true’ Islam, by referring to the comprehensive principles of creed in order to answer all problems facing the community; to purify Muslim beliefs and practices from the infiltration of the elements of reprehensible innovations (bid‘a) and unbelief (kufr), and consider debating such beliefs and practices as fallacious; to revive the practices of the Prophet Muhammad and disseminate the message of solidarity and unity of the community on the basis of its loyalty to the Prophet Muhammad, al-wala’, and hostility towards heresy and unbelief, al-bara’.

‘'The doctrine of al-wala’ wa al-bara’ has provided the basis for the salafists’ choice to live in a small tight-knit community (jama‘a). They are convinced that the community system will protect them from bida‘ and reinforce their unity in the face of Muslim enemies. By living in their own societies, they believe that this is the effective way to avoid any resemblance to infidels. For the same reason, they also reject all entertaining distractions: music, theatre and places of pleasure and entertainment such as cafés, discotheques, and dance clubs. Perfume, the cinema, television and photographs are considered part of infidel cultures. The salafists emphasize that the roots of their concern with the community system lies more in a willingness to withdraw from corrupting innovations and to live in accordance with the example of al-salaf al-salih, rather than in a revolutionary activism to create a totally Islamic society.

‘'The doctrine of al-wala’ wa al-bara’ developed by the salafists is reminiscent of the thoughts expressed by Ahmad Ibn Taymiyya. He developed the idea that the dissimilarity between believers and unbelievers must be total. In his book entitled Iqtida’ al-Sirat al-Mustaqim, he explained in detail all aspects of differences that should be drawn by Muslims in their encounters with non-Muslims. According to him, Muslims, for instance, should speak Arabic in preference to any other language and should cut their hair and leave beards to grow long in a manner different from that of Jews and Christians. The followers of these two religions (Ahl al-Kitab) were seen by Ibn Taymiyya as active agents of unbelief who posed a threat to Islam.

'On the basis of the doctrine of al-wala’ wa al-bara’, firm distinctions are drawn between the members of the community and outsiders. The members of this community associate the outside people with shirk and bid‘a whose lives are considered to be removed from true tawhid. The medieval heritage of Ibn Taymiyya’s ideology, which developed in a period of high tension between Muslims and Christians, has added another dimension. The purity of this community is believed to guarantee the immunity of its members from the influences of infidels, to be identified with Jews and Christians.’'

I hope this serves as a 'starter' towards your understanding of 'salafism'.
    Following the way of the prophet has become a trend now?

Comment

Originally posted by Janna90 View Post

Following the way of the prophet has become a trend now?
      Following the way of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) has always been the practise of the Muslims. The mistake is thinking that only one group now do so.
      'Sometimes, silence is the best answer for a fool.' (Alī ibn Abī Tālib‎)

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

just stop
        Stop what?

Comment

Following the way of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) has always been the practise of the Muslims. The mistake is thinking that only one group now do so.
          Right, well we can’t say some groups haven’t strayed away from that because they have.

Comment

Right, well we can’t say some groups haven’t strayed away from that because they have.
            For an accusation as serious as this (that such people are no longer to be regarded as Muslims - if indeed, this is what you are saying) proofs are required, don't you think?

I apologise if this is not what you are saying.
            Last edited by Grandad; 12-02-19, 04:06 PM.

Comment

For an accusation as serious as this (that such people are no longer to be regarded as Muslims - if indeed, this is what you are saying) proofs are required, don't you think?

Wha accusation? I think you need to calm down your jumping to conclusions too fast. I said they strayed, I didn’t say there no longer Muslim. You can still be Muslim but sinning. There’s a difference.

I accept your your apology but next time don’t be too quick to attack.

Comment

Wha accusation? I think you need to calm down your jumping to conclusions too fast. I said they strayed, I didn’t say there no longer Muslim. You can still be Muslim but sinning. There’s a difference.

I accept your your apology but next time don’t be too quick to attack.
                It seems we have a misunderstanding.

I wrote: '‘Following the way of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) has always been the practise of the Muslims. The mistake is thinking that only one group now do so.'’

You replied: ‘'We can'’t say some groups haven’t strayed away from that because they have.'’

I took the words ‘'strayed away from'’ to mean ‘'to deviate from'’; '‘to leave that which is true for that which is false’.'

‘'In the name of Allâh, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy! Praise belongs to Allâh, Lord of the Worlds, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy, Master of the Day of Judgement. It is You we worship; it is You we ask for help. Guide us to the straight path: the path of those You have blessed, those who incur no anger and who have not gone astray.'’ (Al-Fatiha)

I agree, being sinful does not, of itself, take one away from Islam. I guess we both need to be careful about the words we use.
                Last edited by Grandad; 12-02-19, 06:39 PM.

Comment

well yes they have strayed if they arent following the way the sahaba lived their lives according to what the prophet صلي الله عليه وسلام taught them

they are still muslim unless they commit an act of major kufr that takes them out of the fold of islam and or they commit shirk

however they may be going astray but still be muslim by having beliefs or doing certain things that the sahaba did not believe or do but arent major kufr and or shirk

Comment

Originally posted by Abu julaybeeb View Post

well yes they have strayed if they arent following the way the sahaba lived their lives according to what the prophet صلي الله عليه وسلام taught them

they are still muslim unless they commit an act of major kufr that takes them out of the fold of islam and or they commit shirk

however they may be going astray but still be muslim by having beliefs or doing certain things that the sahaba did not believe or do but arent major kufr and or shirk
                    Thank you. I understand.

Comment

Working...
                    X