Do I go to heaven or hell?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I go to heaven or hell?

So basically I'm a Muslim but I don't do every single thing a Muslim is supposed to do, like praying 5 times a day, reading Quran all the time, going to Jummah etc. However, I still do other things like not eat pork or drink alcohol/smoke, remember Allah every day and I believe 100% that Allah created us and Prophet Muhammad s.a.w is the last messenger. I was just wondering what the punishment is supposed to be for someone like me as literally 90% of the Muslims I know are in my situation. I can understand why I wouldn't go to heaven seeing as I'm not doing anything overly religious, but going to Hell? It makes no sense to me. Isn't Hell supposed to be where murderers, paedophiles and evil people are supposed to go? In my perspective I don't think I'm in the same category as them just for not praying enough? Someone explain this to me because from my understanding, Hell is a place for evil people who deny God's existence and do truly evil things in life.

I've thought about this for a few years now, and just decided to post here because I want to get to the bottom of it now.

Interesting. I’ve wondered the same thing before.

One question: then would it be fair to give the same reward to a Muslim who prays, fasts, goes to jumaah, struggled to get to hajj, and truly in his heart believes that Allah (swt) is the one only God, and Mohammad (May Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him) is His prophet, and to a Muslim who is putting (maybe much) less effort?

Two sides to the coin! But I hope someone can give you a satisfying answer. I do recommend you read the Quran, or in English if that is your first language. They don’t call it a miracle for nothing. Do your research and do feed your curiosity! Allah told us to read. Also reading about prayer and what it means as a duty to worshipping Allah can help put things into perspective for you.

Hope this helps

Salam

Assalamu Aalaykum

Comment

Allah is extremely Merciful, Forgiving and Kind, but do you feel grateful to Allah in return when you do those sins?

You possibly may well do feel grateful, and we all sin, but Allah gave us those commandments not to break but to uphold. If we keep repeatedly breaking it without repenting, amending or making an effort to change these habits, then we are showing ingratitude.

And its odd that many humans (not just you but all of us including me) feel that we can show ingratitude and not respect the rules of Islam and will still get saved by His grace.

I mean, according to one hadith every Muslim goes to heaven as long as they believe in the Shahada...

But due to our sins, we may experience the trials of this life, torment of the grave, the hardships of the Day of Judgement, and temporary hellfire.

That is if Allah keeps us on the path of Islam until death. So aren't you grateful for that? Then why not do good deeds like salat and other Islamic obligations.

I remind myself too. I'm a sinner as everyone else. Plz make dua for me.
      وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Also want you to read this page in which a scholar explains basically what you are asking about:

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1479...ommitted-shirk

وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Comment

Just do what you are told to do by Allah and His Messenger s.a.a.w., refrain from what you are not suppose to do, and have the proper Aqeedah. Allah is not unjust to any of his servants. Don't worry about fairness on the Day of Judgement. These type of questions can only lead to doubts, confusion, weak iman. And Allah's refuge is sought.
          The Prophet s.a.a.w warned when he said: "You will surely follow the ways of those who came before you, in exactly the same fashion, to the point were they to enter the hole of a lizard, you too would enter it." It was asked of him, "O Messenger of Allah s.a.a.w., do you mean the Jews and Christians?" He replied, "Who else?" (Bukhari and Muslim)

Comment

It is not our place to tell you who will or wont go to hell because that is Allah's (swt) decision. None of us know whether you'll be forgiven for your sins and admitted to Jannah or whether you'll be punished for them and as human beings, it is not our place to speculate. What I can tell you is the more definite stuff that Allah (swt) has already informed us about. For example; kufaar who make an informed choice to reject Islam and choose misguidance over guidance will go to hell, even if they did many good deeds during their lifetime. This is mentioned quite clearly in Islamic texts.

As for those who believe, it is up to Allah (swt) to forgive your sins or punish you for them and He does not treat anyone unjustly. Having said that, the more you sin and disobey Allah, the more you increase the likelihood of inviting punishments upon yourself and the more you fulfil your Islamic duties and avoid the haram, that helps reduce the likelihood of being punished, but another very key component here is humility and repentance. Everyone commits sins and mistakes in their lives and Muslims aren't expected to be perfect, but they are expected to be repentant for sins and to return to obedience to Allah with humility and a sense of shame that the sin was wrong. Kibr (arrogance) burns away good deeds as easily as fire burns wood- meaning that kibr can also take people to hellfire... it can take the sinful person to hellfire because he'd be arrogant enough to think the Islamic rules shouldn't apply to him and it can take the worshipper who performs pious actions to hellfire because having kibr is the opposite of having good intentions and because such a person would be afflicted with self amazement which is the opposite of humbling oneself before Allah (swt).

So it's important to perform the faraid/duties Allah (swt) has ordered us to do, to avoid the haram as well as have some humility and avoid arrogance at all costs. Let us know if you have any further questions.
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Why don't you pray?

Comment

Let me give you this analogy - I create a robot. This is a very high tech robot with one very particular job, to make pies. I've given it the skills, the ability and all the algorithms needed in order to carry out this function. I power it on and let it go. At first it's a little buggy but works as planned, but I figure - new machine, the bugs are expected. I update it's AI as time passes and expect it to work correctly now, only it begins making meatloaf! And other things, but NOT the specific function I asked it to. I don't need the pies but I do need the robot to function correctly, or else it's a faulty robot.

Should we just say, at least it's doing something, its good enough! Or do we say, as the creator I should get a say in what this robot should be doing?

Its not a perfect example by any stretch of the imagination, but Allah created us to worship Him, as is stated in the Qur'an. He gathered our souls before they were put in our bodies and asked us about His Lordship and we affirmed it. Thus, this is our primary function - to worship Allah. Allah does not NEED us to do it, but it is our function.

Salah is the FIRST and most PRIMARY of those responsibilities, so we MUST carry it out. Think of it like this. Allah says He created us to worship Him. We say we believe Allah. But we do not pray or worship Him in any tangible way - does that belief in the heart amount to much? Not really.

Imagine I KNOW it's going to be a blizzard outside today and I have to get around, but instead of doing anything - I walk out of the house without a jacket or boots or a hat. Did that belief or that knowledge do anything for me? Nope.

Iman is not just in words of the tongue and belief in the heart, but in actions. So I would encourage you to at least start there. Start with prayer and try to make it deep and personal. Learn more Qur'an to make it more than rote recitation. Then I think you'll find that these answers to the questions you have will come to you bit by bit.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
                  Allah is extremely Merciful, Forgiving and Kind, but do you feel grateful to Allah in return when you do those sins?

You possibly may well do feel grateful, and we all sin, but Allah gave us those commandments not to break but to uphold. If we keep repeatedly breaking it without repenting, amending or making an effort to change these habits, then we are showing ingratitude.

And its odd that many humans (not just you but all of us including me) feel that we can show ingratitude and not respect the rules of Islam and will still get saved by His grace.

I mean, according to one hadith every Muslim goes to heaven as long as they believe in the Shahada...

But due to our sins, we may experience the trials of this life, torment of the grave, the hardships of the Day of Judgement, and temporary hellfire.

That is if Allah keeps us on the path of Islam until death. So aren't you grateful for that? Then why not do good deeds like salat and other Islamic obligations.

I remind myself too. I'm a sinner as everyone else. Plz make dua for me.
                  That's also another thing I don't understand. While I'm researching things I see things that say every Muslim goes to heaven if they believe in the Shahada, then I see other things like if you don't pray you go to hell. This just confuses me even more. At times it just feels like the Quran is insanely complex and I will never understand the true meaning. It would be a lot easier if there was just a list of like 10 things you do to go to heaven, and if you don't do them you go to hell - that way I'd actually have a goal to accomplish, rather than living in ambiguity. I also wonder how much I'm praying/being religious due to gratitude to Allah, or if it's just the fear of going to hell which is making me act this way. I know this is terrible but I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by ttwell21 View Post

That's also another thing I don't understand. While I'm researching things I see things that say every Muslim goes to heaven if they believe in the Shahada, then I see other things like if you don't pray you go to hell. This just confuses me even more. At times it just feels like the Quran is insanely complex and I will never understand the true meaning. It would be a lot easier if there was just a list of like 10 things you do to go to heaven, and if you don't do them you go to hell - that way I'd actually have a goal to accomplish, rather than living in ambiguity. I also wonder how much I'm praying/being religious due to gratitude to Allah, or if it's just the fear of going to hell which is making me act this way. I know this is terrible but I don't know.
                    There is still the punishment of the grave, the hardships of qiyama and temporary jahannam for Muslims. Don't you want to avoid that?

Plus we humans are limited in our scope of knowing whats good or not for us. If Allah gave us many commandments we should try our best to follow all of them and live in the essence of Islam.

There are hadiths stating the best good deeds and the worst bad deeds which can be helpful if you need a starting point.

Try reading articles about the basic requirements and teachings of Islam.

This website is pretty good:

https://www.islamreligion.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ttwell21 View Post

Just because you say you're a Muslim doesn't make it so. Saying the shahada is just sound coming out of your mouth if you don't apply it. Then that makes you a hypocrite because there is no sincerity coming from you. Iblis himself knows there is no deity worthy of worship but Allah. Who has more certainty than him of this fact? In the Quran, Iblis calls Allah, "my Lord". But his problem the arrogance and pride and not fulfilling the commands of Allah. Iman is belief of the heart, testification of the tongue and actions of the limbs. When you don't pray and do what Allah wants from you then that makes you insincere because if you really believed the Shahada then it would only be natural the limbs would carry out the worship. The first 10 verses of Surah Baqarah tells you there is only three type of people in this world. The believers and their description, the kuffar, and the hypocrites who say "we believe" but they really don't believe. One is in Paradise and the other two are in hellfire. Now, you have to decide which one the Quran categorizes you and make the necessary changes to get it right in this world before time runs out on you.
                      The Prophet s.a.a.w warned when he said: "You will surely follow the ways of those who came before you, in exactly the same fashion, to the point were they to enter the hole of a lizard, you too would enter it." It was asked of him, "O Messenger of Allah s.a.a.w., do you mean the Jews and Christians?" He replied, "Who else?" (Bukhari and Muslim)

Comment

Working...
                      X