Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do non arab muslims (specially converts) feel they need to have Arabic names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do non arab muslims (specially converts) feel they need to have Arabic names

As a muslim living in one of the so called Arabinized nations( which are countries that weren't arabic but became arabinized by Islam) i feel sad when new converts change their names to Arabic names.

A true religion should not be stricted to one nation, and i feel when they change their names it's as if they are saying that islam is arabs religion.

Why when Christianity spread, it spread as a religion, people changed god, but they kept their names and heritage, meanwhile Islam spread as Arabic culture completly destroying native cultures and Arabinizing them not even leaving the name parents gave their sons.

For example in Egypt copts Christians still have ancient names, like Mina. Yet muslims are only Muhameds & Ahmads.

Diversity is a beautiful thing in the planet. Imagine if everyone became muslims, with this behavior we won't have all the beautiful diverse names we do now. Males name will be confined within the 10 Arabic names that were by chance the names of the few nomad living in Maccah in the 7 century. This is just stupid and sad.

I watch anime and one thing i liked is the use of different names from different cultures, Including even ancients names killed by Islam ( or the attitude of muslims) (ex Aten tiea which are ancient Egyptian names).

The question stands why Islam seem to be more of Arabs imperialism than a religion?

i can understand that in early caliphate ( pretty Much up until the Ottomans) only Arabs were allowed political powers so people just arabinized themselves for that reason, but why are most converts doing this till today??

A revert can keep his/her name as long as it's not a name that's linked to shirk or a specific religion.
    رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Those "Arab names" are probably more likely Muslim names. Give examples.
      "When a man sees the road as long he weakens in his walk." Ibn Qayyim

Comment

Each sentence make less sense than the previous one...

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
          Each sentence make less sense than the previous one...
          Last edited by Umm Uthmaan; 25-11-18, 11:01 PM. Reason: ..
          رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Originally posted by mohamed55 View Post
            As a muslim living in one of the so called Arabinized nations( which are countries that weren't arabic but became arabinized by Islam) i feel sad when new converts change their names to Arabic names.

A true religion should not be stricted to one nation, and i feel when they change their names it's as if they are saying that islam is arabs religion.

Why when Christianity spread, it spread as a religion, people changed god, but they kept their names and heritage, meanwhile Islam spread as Arabic culture completly destroying native cultures and Arabinizing them not even leaving the name parents gave their sons.

For example in Egypt copts Christians still have ancient names, like Mina. Yet muslims are only Muhameds & Ahmads.

Diversity is a beautiful thing in the planet. Imagine if everyone became muslims, with this behavior we won't have all the beautiful diverse names we do now. Males name will be confined within the 10 Arabic names that were by chance the names of the few nomad living in Maccah in the 7 century. This is just stupid and sad.

I watch anime and one thing i liked is the use of different names from different cultures, Including even ancients names killed by Islam ( or the attitude of muslims) (ex Aten tiea which are ancient Egyptian names).

The question stands why Islam seem to be more of Arabs imperialism than a religion?

i can understand that in early caliphate ( pretty Much up until the Ottomans) only Arabs were allowed political powers so people just arabinized themselves for that reason, but why are most converts doing this till today??
            You have some serious problems,

The Arab names are used because they either refer to the names of the Anbiya عليه السلام who are the cream of mankind or righteous predecessors, Sahaba رضي الله عنه‎ or have other sound meaning etc

Not to mention Allah عز و جل elevated Arabic over all other languages by revealing the Qur'an in Arabic.
            Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 30-11-18, 04:05 AM.
            http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by mohamed55 View Post

All subjugated nations eventually adopt the culture of the empire which conquered them. It has nothing to do with Islam saying Muslims have to be Arab; it is simply a reality of what happens when a people are conquered. When the Romans conquered, the same thing happened. Same with the Turks, the Saxons, and more. Today, it's Americans who are Americanizing the world through cultural imperialism. I don't see you complaining about that?

Of course, Arabic is the language of the Quran, and some aspects of Arab culture come directly from Islam. So because of this, one could say that Allah has honored the Arab culture over others. But that does not mean you have to be Arab or that you have to change your name to an Arab name. Also, people want to name themselves after the Sahaba and the legendary men and women of Islam, who just so happen to be Arab. Doesn't mean they are trying to be Arab.

And by the way, plenty of Muslim countries have retained their native culture. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Iran, Indonesia, etc. So you can't say Islam forces Arab culture on people.
              Last edited by Stoic Believer; 29-11-18, 07:18 AM.

Comment

because muslims especially reverts out of their love for islam choose an islamic name, which happens to be arabic because... DUHHH what do you expect, why are you even moaning about this?

Comment

Reverts don't have to change their name as long as their given name doesn't associate with anything Haram. I assume most chose Arabic names since many of the Islamic names are of Arabic origin since Islam was revealed and completed in Arabia and the reverts want to publicly identify with Islam. Many use names that are mentioned in the Quran like Isa (PBUH), Musa(PBUH), Ibraheem (PBUH), Muhammad, Kinan, and so on.

You shouldn't be sad that reverts are changing their name, you should be happy that they are trying to identify with Islam and trying to be closer to their Lord.

Comment

Working...
                  X