Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I BURN myself to remind myself of the pain of Jahanam/Hell fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I BURN myself to remind myself of the pain of Jahanam/Hell fire?

So I'm a 20 year old practicing muslimah Alhamdulillah, I've been praying my salah everyday since i've hit puberty, and alhamdulilah never missed a prayer on purpose, been wearing the hijab since the age of 6 and never took it off since puberty so alhamdulilah I do think that I'm on the right path but for some reason I don't seem to get affected by the thought of hell fire.. not that I think I'm perfect cos I'm definitely not.. but it's just that OFCOURSE i'm scared of hellfire.. who isn't.. it's just that I can't seem to cry about it when I make dua to Allah to save me and my family and the entire ummah.. I don't feel like I'm being sincere enough..

the fact that I don't cry on the thought of Hell fire even during Taraweeh like when the imam makes dua and everyone around me is crying except me.. it just makes me think that I'm not really a true believer..

I have watched plenty of videos on Hell fire and It's definitely SCARY cos the pain of it
    is definitely unbearable and

then I had this idea.. what if I burn myself a bit so when I feel the excruciating pain .. I'd remind myself that Hell fire is a million times worse than that.. and i think that would be a good way of solving this problem. but then harming myself is haram soo.. I don't know.. is it permissible to do that if it's going to increase my iman?

Your body was given to you as a loan, you don't really own it and are supposed to take care of it. You will be questioned about it on Judgement day. There is no need to burn yourself to fear hellfire. Just read the Quran and look at those who have it worse than you. Plenty of videos of Muslims dying and suffering all across the world, that should show you how you haven't even felt true suffering. It doesn't take much to permanently damage a human body, it's not worth the risk.

Humans were created to forget, so that we can turn back to Allah and beg for forgiveness when we remember. If you feel like you forgot about how severe hell is, read the Ayat about the description of hellfire or go watch the videos that you mention.

Comment

https://islamqa.info/en/2708e

​​​​​​The above seems to have some relevance.

----------------

Whilst not about exactly the same thing, this post reminded me of a story/account related by a shaykh... He was doubtful over the the authenticity but narrated it because it was in line with a point he was making.

It was an account of a young woman who married a very practicing man (in the times before our own).

This man was excellent in every way. He was just the kind of believing husband a mu'minah would want. After some time (years?) living with him she started to become concerned. And her concerns started to grow and grow until she said to her husband that she wanted him to take her back to her father.

The husband became confused about what was happening. He only treated her in the best way, things were going very, very well in their deen and in their wealth, health. He tried to get her to explain what was happening, but she wouldn't, so eventually, seeing her so distressed he accepted that she had made up her mind and decided to let her go, understanding that she wanted to separate from him.

They reached her father's home and as they dismounted from the horse / camel they were on, the young woman fell and severely injured herself. She exclaimed, "alhamdulillah!" and became very happy, telling her husband, "take me back, take me back!"

The husband asked his wife what was making her behave in this crazy way. First she insists he let her go, and now she breaks her foot, is happy because of it and now wants her husband to take her back with him.

She tells him: "You haven't wronged me and you are an excellent man. But since the time I have been with you, I have found I haven't been touched by a single moment of difficulty or distress. Everything is so perfect when we know the righteous are afflicted with difficult trials. I began to fear if maybe I have married a man who is causing me to receive all the good in this dunya but it means I have 'adhaab waiting for me in Akhirah. This was until the moment I fell and injured myself!"

The point of the above being we shouldn't go out of our way seeking difficult trials and pain.

Sister is only 20. There will come times in our lives where we will have to go through a lot of pain and distress. If we haven't yet gone through such things (or to the extent we think we should) it doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with our eemaan or that these things won't reach us at all.

We should try to make shukr through these easier times, and there will be times when we will be softened with trials (walabnabluwannakum bi shay-im minal khawfi Wal joo'i was naqsim minal anwaali Wal anfusi watthamaraat...) and need patience, times where we may do the wrong things and fear of 'adhaab and jahannam will naturally occur inside of us, inshaaAllah.

​​​​​​
      Last edited by Fakhri; 24-09-18, 01:23 AM.
      LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
      -------------------------------
      "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
      NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

By burning do you mean actually causing a scar or simply placing your hand over the fire and then removing it when it hurts?
        Watch those eyes

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeshanParvez View Post
          By burning do you mean actually causing a scar or simply placing your hand over the fire and then removing it when it hurts?
          there is a story i think adh dhahabi or ibn hazm mentiomed about a man who was staying at another mans house for a night. whilst he stayed at the mans house the owner left the house for abit. the owners wife was left alone with the man. the woman tried tried to seduce the man and he nearly fell for it but put his hands in a fireplace to stop him self and remind him of akhira

Comment

Originally posted by Fatum View Post
            So I'm a 20 year old pra iman?
            make duaa Allah opens your heart and allows you to cry for His sake

Comment

Take harmless hot water, not burning hot, then feel it and amplify it in your imagination out of fear of it's potential intensity. Use analogical reasoning skills to develop one's empathy.

Burning would cause pain but also removes the skins pain receptors to feel pain or to experience sensations, and it may not grow back.

In Jahannam, the skin grows back continuously, that is the difference and the reason why it's not recommended.

Only Allah () knows best.
              Last edited by tumbirs; 24-09-18, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Sounds like something shia would do
                يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Err NO don't do that!

If you want to know how to live a good Islamic life then follow the example of the Prophet () and he did not burn himself, nor did his companions (ra). You're way overthinking things, you don't need to cry to prove how good a Muslim you are, you just need to fulfil your fards and avoid the haram and if you want to do better than that, then you increase in doing the rewardable mandoub actions. It's not rocket science.
                  Last edited by neelu; 24-09-18, 09:00 PM.
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X